Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

What do you think about ...

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Make access to the 'technical' and 'tech FAQ' forums 'registered users only'?
Yes - it's a good idea
51%
 51%  [ 100 ]
No - leave it as it is
38%
 38%  [ 75 ]
Not bothered either way
9%
 9%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 194

PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:37    Post subject: What do you think about ... Reply with quote

... making the "Technical" and "Tech FAQ" forums viewable only by registered users ... ie you have to be registered and logged in even to browse?

This doesn't make a great deal of difference, other than getting registered users to log in or unregistered 'guests' to register an account even to browse the contents.

The information in there is bordering on encyclopaedic ... I'm happy for anybody to browse the information, after all, it has all been freely provided by registered club members, but I'm interested to know your views?

Please vote by making a selection from the poll above.

Simon
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - it's a good idea

As a contributor to these threads, I feel now, is the time to use this facility, whilst, I am available and freely give my time, I think, the whole ethos of the club is to unite, take part, and if possible, help out anyone, but, and there is always a but ! we now have several forums for this model, and without doubt, I feel each forum has it's merits, in what ever way, but, POCUK is without doubt, planets ahead on technical help, so, I think, it will give a true reading of who is using the forums, and will enhance the service already available to guest, who then have the possibility to register, and compliment there already interest in Pajero world.

On this though, we should be looking into enhancing the search facility, it is fiddly, I don’t understand the workings of Php etc, so, Simon has to do all this, but if we could get a better, search facility, that is to say, better understanding of the words we use in search may help.

Just remember though :

HAVE FUN
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

best copy this page,and put it somewhere safe. i agree with richie Shocked
SHED
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree might get a few new members posting more
The Apache
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

oohh errr aahhh, i don't really know. dontknow

what i mean to say, is, that a lot of potential Pajero owners if not most, will refer to this site and the technical forums in helping to decide whether or not a Pajero is the motor for them, quite why i bought a Paj, i'll never know, i read and read the forums and still bought one Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing Let's face it, there isn't another site, with as much extemely useful info on as Pocuk has, as Simon pointed out, it is "bordering on encyclopaedic". However, i do know that having to register to view topics will deter some people from going forward, because they find the experience intimidating, (mind you, if you are that sort of person, maybe you shouldn't own a paj in the first place Laughing ).
I have to admit, i haven't contributed an awful lot of decent quality info myself, after all, i'm still learning, but i do appreciate that there are a lot of you who do, and it really is for you lot to decide as to whether the info you provide should be available to registered users only or not Wink
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long does registration take? even for a muppet like me,about 5 mins. it's still free to join. i don't think people will be put off by filling in a form. as to who decides,well it's a club thing,so if you know everything or not,you still make up part of the club. and i'm sure as you learn more,you'll help more Wink
The Apache
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's just that some people don't like filling in forms online, they are worried that their info will be used for something other than intended. I know, that this isn't the case with Pocuk, but some sites do, even against your wishes.

Simon, why do i keep getting invitations for free test drives from Land Rover Confused Laughing Laughing
SHED
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

im still in favour of a membership scheme of some sort
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

GATSOH8ER wrote:

Simon, why do i keep getting invitations for free test drives from Land Rover Confused Laughing Laughing

you must have been on some very dodgy sites Shocked Embarassed Laughing
The Apache
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon Simon's a double agent and he sells our info to other manufacturers. Didn't you know, he only needs to refer 100 more names to receive a limited edition tax disc holder from TATA Laughing Laughing
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

GATSOH8ER wrote:
I reckon Simon's a double agent and he sells our info to other manufacturers. Didn't you know, he only needs to refer 100 more names to receive a limited edition tax disc holder from TATA Laughing Laughing

Laughing
tazbabe
Events rep (Scotland)
Events rep (Scotland)

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

more x 4 wrote:
how long does registration take? even for a muppet like me,about 5 mins. it's still free to join. i don't think people will be put off by filling in a form. as to who decides,well it's a club thing,so if you know everything or not,you still make up part of the club. and i'm sure as you learn more,you'll help more Wink

sorry, but disagree!!
when i first got my paj i was an absolute muppet on the pc, and it took me ages to work out how to use the site, (but once i got my head round it register ing was easy.) i would definately have been put off if i thought i had to register before i could even work out how to look.

and the reason i came on the site? because i needed some info about my paj that i had been unable to find elswhere, and pocuk was mentioned to me when i bought the paj, so i decided to brave my complete lack of pc experience and have a look.
nobby
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that its a good idea it would encourage more members to participate perhaps Question
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with whats been said and also with Taz still an absoloute wazzock on the PC I know its increased work for you Si but if "New'' members E mailed you could you register them from their E mail addy ....just a thought Confused
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick the nurse wrote:
I agree with whats been said and also with Taz still an absoloute wazzock on the PC I know its increased work for you Si but if "New'' members E mailed you could you register them from their E mail addy ....just a thought Confused

I think that one of the failings of the club is, by virtue of being FREE, that we are entirely net based, excluding a large sector of "PC shy" Pajero owners.

The club could be opened outside the net, but will need to be advertised more widely, will need to have formal membership and, subsequently, a membership fee Confused

The current registration has, by neccessity, become 'admin activated' ... sadly, there are mindless, malicious individuals who seem to think it's funny, destructive or both to create accounts such as 'thissiteiskrap' - oh yes, very funny! Registration this way works, but puts an additional obstacle in the way of already wary internet users Sad

The intention of making the tech forums 'registered login access only' is to reinforce the community aspects of the POCUK - people who have to log in may actually feel like they become more of a part of the POCUK community ?

A major vote in any direction will not neccessarily be a fait-acomplis ... I have to consider the views of unregistered members, after all, only 8.5 thousand of over 20,000 registered members have signed up on the forums!

Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: