Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

tyres?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob1808

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:00    Post subject: tyres? Reply with quote

I tow an Avondale kingfisher 1993. It came without a hand book so just wondering if anyone knows the recommended tyre pressure??
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

ahalton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:52    Post subject: Tyres Reply with quote

It depends what tyres you have on it.

If it has car tyres on it pressures are usually around 30 psi.

Quite a lot of people put Van tyres on because they have stiffer side wall and tow better. Pressures can be anything from 30 to 65 psi.

Have a look at the ratings on the side wall and see what the max weight and max pressure are, this will give you an indication of what type of tyre it is.

Andrew
rob1808

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I will check them tonight, another point is I bought the van earlier this year, and I have no idea how long the tyres have been on it, you mention some people using van tyres I will have to look at perhaps getting them changed.
gmc15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Abbey stafford 17ft, 1992. The tyres are 175x13R 6 ply. They have reinforced side walls to help with heavy loads. The original tyres were Avon supervans but I replaced them with Hankooks. They are classed as light van tyres. If the van maximum desigh weight is more than 20cwt then reinforced tyres are recommended.

The tyre pressure is 51 psi.
JITSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had perfectly good looking Michelins on my Corniche when I bought it but on closer inspection they had cracked badly in the Tread grooves so I replaced them with a heavier duty 8 Ply Tyre,better to be safe than sorry Wink . I'd rather spend £85 on two new Tyres than loose my Caravan through a high-speed blow out Shocked .

The Book says 41psi for this Caravan so if your unsure ring your local dealer Very Happy
tutor52

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dealer recently told me he has never seen a caravan tyre need replacing because of tyre wear. It is always because of cracks in the tread, sidewalls or flat spots caused by the caravan sitting in exactly the same place for long periods.

His recommendation, which is also a security idea as well, is to remove the tyres when the van is not in use and store them inside the van away from UV rays. The absence of wheels makes them more difficult to nick Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Dave
rob1808

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I mentioned replacing the tyres was the possability of cracking or flat spot's, and the unknown factor of their age and what sort of care the previous owner took. I am deffinatley going to get them changed now and will probably use light van tyres. Thanks for all the feedback very much appreciated.
fat bloke

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

single axle vans MUST have 6 or 8 ply commercial van tyres fitted, this is because of the load only being displaced on 2 wheels.

twin axles can use standard car tyres.

In all cases tyres should be replaced at the 5 year point and must never be used beyond 7 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: