Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

clinometer - leak prevention / fix

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Top tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hightop Honey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the tip m8. Was gonna do mine as I'd read it was glycerene but didn't konw about the membrane as I never could work out why it leaked.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 22:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

St.John-Hayes

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 16:22    Post subject: That Pesky Leaking Inclinometer, How To Fix It! Reply with quote

Well, anyone who has had either a Pajero or a Shogun will have been likely to have suffered this problem.
All, or part of the fluid leaking from the dash mounted Inclinometer. Yes it still continues to function like some spring loaded tennis ball, but the fix is not too hard.

You will need...Glycerine (about 100ml) Thick, maximum gap superglue, a tube of plastic cement, a pipette, a craft knife. a bit of emery paper, and some electricians alcahol.

After removing the inclinometer from the dash console, seperate the unit and examine it.
At the top, on the transparent housing, you will see a blob of discoloured plastic. This is a form of plastic cement, it is not too well attatched to the plastic beneath, so taking great care, gently cut it away using the craft knife.
This will expose a little filler cap made of clear plastic, gently cut around the lip of this cap, and then work the craft knife blade under the lip, freeing the cap, and then prise it up gently. It comes out quite easily, Honest!
You can now drain all the remaining fluid from the housing.
When drained, lift the housing to your lips, form a seal around the filler hole, and blow.
On every one I have done so far, you will hear an audable click, which is normally the thin plastic backplate of the unit partially detatching. It is the glue sticking the backplate of the unit, becoming detatched that has caused every leak on the units I have so far repaired.
Gently find the break with the craft knife, and slide the blade behind the backplate, working it round, without cutting, untill the backplate detatches.
It is at this point that the housing, top and back should be cleaned with alcahol, along with the now freed backplate.
Once cleaned rub the edge of the backplate with emery paper, and also the millimetre or so around the now exposed hole in the back of the housing. Once roughed up, apply a fairly generous circle of the thick superglue around the hole in the back of the housing where the backplate will sit. I find it easier to put a bit of bluetack on a cocktail stick, then place the backplate centrally on the bluetack, this makes it easier to centralise the backplate over the hole, there is not much spare edge, which is why the unit has this problem.
Leave for a good while to set, then apply a generous fillet of the thick superglue around the lip of the backplate housing, giving extra strength to the repair carried out, leave for 12 hours or so.
The unit can now be re-filled using the pipette. After a bit of trial and error, I find that 2 parts glycerine, to 1 part water works well, pure glycerine is too thick to work as required, and glycerine mixes well with water, but should be left standing once mixed, to allow the bubbles to disperse. Once filled to very nearly the top of the unit, wipe the filler hole clean with more alcahol, and re-insert the filler cap using a generous coating of plastic cement.
There should now be a small air bubble left visible at the top of the unit housing. This is to allow for the liquids expansion, it is usually the liquids over expansion in hot weather that ruptures the back othe unit causing the problem in the first place.

I have so far repaired 2 of my own inclinometers, and 5 for other people, none have leaked since to my knowlage, so you never know, it might be worth a try if you have nothing better to do! Oh yes! you could make another backplace out of clear plastic card, but the dash illumination does not diffuse too well through a flat membane. It's up to you.

I hope this helps.

Regards Tim
prhodesj

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used baby oil, works well
b1ackcr0w

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the clinometer is stuck in one position. Take the mount apart and give the clinometer a gentle tap before going and buying the stuff to fix it. I found this sorted the problem on mine when it got stuck!
insertnamehere

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one thing I thought worth adding to that last bit of advice, before joining this forum I pulled the inclinometer out of mine as it had leaked & the fore/aft needle was siezed.  If you do go for the "gentle tap" approach to un-siezing the thing, do make sure it is a VERY gentle tap to get it moving & then just wobble it round until you get the full range of movement.  I found out the hard way that the frame that the whole lot pivots on is extremely brittle after 20 odd years sat in oil & too hard of a tap will result in one inclinometer sphere sat on the bottom of it's casing.  

I managed to fix mine eventually by cutting through the joint between the clear & white parts of the body (the only way the repaired assembly will fit back in) and very carefully supergluing the pivot frame back together, but ideally you don't want to be doing this because you end up with an inclinometer that will never again hold fluid & you're stuck with the "spring loaded tennis ball" effect mentioned earlier so just be careful how hard you tap the thing.  Knowing what I know now (hindsight is always 20/20!  Rolling Eyes ) I would have just drilled through the top of the unit & teased the weight inside back & forward with a wd40 straw or something rather than tapping it.
dragn

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

glycerine is the standard damping agent in many types of gauges you can buy it from most any chemist get mine from the peeps who supply our tank gauges for work most road tankers use glycerine filled gauges the needles tend to fall off dry gauges due to the vibration otherwise
Paulpen
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a bump but dont suppose anyone local to me would be kind enough to fix / yop mine up at all for some beer money etc ?

Ive taken mine out but cant work out where the leak is from, dont have any glycerine and feel a bit fo a plum  Embarassed
shadowbroker

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you use ATF? its a pretty red colour, and about as thick as glycerin more or less. just i have a few LT of the stuff spare and mine is all dry, rear diaphragm is cracked so need to fix that first.  just hoping i can pop in some simple ATF
SupraDan

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used this guide to fix dads one today, very handy, got the job done. Thanks Smile
nutworld

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of interest would sewing machine oil be as good
as that is very thin oil which you can also use on clippers too

any feedback on that would be good
coulchie1234

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

have to agree with above Baby oil workes great, another tip is to take the inner ink refill out of a blue ( or a colour of your choice ) marker and dip it into the baby oil till it takes thr depth of colour you want and then use it to to refill, workes and looks great.
baxfanalex

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

redders wrote:
Cheers for that More x 4. I have now refilled my clinometer. I had some red oil in the shed of the same consistency as clipper oil, well it is an oil additive, so I thought I`d give it a go and see what happened. What dyou think? Have a look here

Looks like my eyes the morning after a wee whisky session. Confused
bravehrt17

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that!

Thank for the tip.. Wink

I didnt want to see this clinometer, ending up like in my previous' 2.5L MK1--> Empty, dead, and still lightet to brake my nerves!!.... Embarassed
(I also tried to fixes that one..but i guess water was not the correct element to put in there  Embarassed )
gshgazzy

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this thread, mine has leaked. Its blowing F11 fuse, we thought it was the time clock, removed and everything worked. Then fuse blew again, have removed 3 dials at top, (clock is out), temp unit and radio. Anyone had similar issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Top tips All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: