2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

EGR Valve again

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fazer600

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:02    Post subject: egr valve cleaned Reply with quote

Hi guys just to let you know ever since i got my paj it does about 28mpg on the motorway and about 22mpg in town. I took the egr valve off a couple of days ago and soaked it over night i then took all the intercooler pipes off plus the intercooler itself which was full of oil.These i also cleaned up with some diesel and after putting it all back together the next day i went for a spin down to salsbury..(M3..A303) I put £20 pounds in (25lts) and so far have done 287kms, which by the mpg calculator comes back as 32mpg. (70mph = 3150rpm) Very Happy

This seems good by my standards but will see how she performs once i start around town again.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

stumpey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

EGR valve results

I tried to make a subjective account of playing with the EGR valve so here goes.
I have used the same piece of road,drive to work each day, for my comments so the results should mean something and at each stage made notes for a week. I first did nothing to the EGR and drove to work as normal made mental notes of certain points on the trip to use as a gauge, smoke,tickover,pull away from lights from standstill,pull onto roundabout whilst still moving at approx 10mph,pull up small incline ramp road onto motorway and a blast up the motorway plus slow run through town.

Next I blocked the vacuem pipe but this made no noticable difference to any of the above other than the smoke was less just!.

Next I removed the EGR and soaked in a bucket of diesel overnight and cleaned out all the crud etc then refitted.
Smoking decreased, tickover become smoother,pull away from lights not much difference,pull onto roundabout improved,pull up incline on motorway improved, blast up motorway no difference, slow run through town improved.

Last I blanked off the EGR with a plate, smoke none, tickover very smooth and improved,pull away from lights much much improved,pull onto roundabout even better no lag,pull up incline like a train,motorway improved overtaking,run round town much better due to no lag.

My conclusion is the blanking is far better than any other course of action as it makes the 2.5 a much happier beast. The text below shows how an EGR works so in my mind if you are recirculating exhaust gases a/ you are not geting a fresh charge of air and b/ maybe we are losing some turbo preassure when the valve opens and as we use less than 1bar preassure (14.5 psi) any loss is a disaster.

I do not know if the EGR was working correctly at the begining as I had no way of testing the valve other than a visual check and all seemed to be ok i.e no soot etc.

Please make comments if you have had the same results. Flack jacket is on and tin helmet over bobble hat.

Steve (anorak and bobble hat now on back seat of Paj)

EGR how it works

The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve sends some of the exhaust gas back into the cylinders to reduce combustion temperature. This is required because nitrous oxides (nasty pollutants) form when the combustion temperature gets above 2,500 degrees F. This is as a result of the formation of nitrous oxides when the nitrogen in the air mixes with the oxygen. When it's sunny, the nitrous oxides from the exhaust get together with the hydrocarbons in the air to form smog. This is when the EGR valve comes in handy. By recirculating some of the exhaust gas back through the intake manifold to the cylinders, we can lower the combustion temperature. Lowering the combustion temperature lowers the amount of nitrous oxide produced. Consequently, less of it comes out the tail pipe. There are two types of EGR valves. One operates through the use of a vacuum, and the other operated through the use of pressure. Both types allow the exhaust gas in to lower the combustion temperature when it gets too high.
marty warden

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 14:24    Post subject: EGR valve blocking Reply with quote

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:49 pm Post subject: EGR valve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi folks,
Just wanted to add i followed Trigs excellent instructions on blocking off my EGR valve, and what a difference

my 92` 2.5td LWB PAJ is a different car

just like to say a big thanks to Trig, and just add everyone should try it, its so easy to do, and well worth it

cheers Marty
fazer600

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:46    Post subject: egr Reply with quote

Hi guys
after doing the clean up job on the egr valve i too have opted to block it off.
Did this a couple of days ago and all seems well,the other half even commented on how NOT so sluggish it felt anymore, not sure if its going to affect the fuel figures but otherwise a job worth doing, and my paj seems to tick over much smoother.
deandownunder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fazer,
The only thing it will do to your fuel figures is probably improve them.
mikey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi people.

i to have just blocked off the egr valve, all i can say is if you are thinking about doing it,do it now.
pj is a lot better all round.
thanks to trig and all the others for the help.
mike
Big Muck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi every1 Very Happy

Wow, found this web site after the wife was moaning about the amount of smoke coming from the exhaust. Your Comments and solutions have been very helpfull. Exclamation She has a 2.8 swb

I soaked the valve in Stp injector cleaner for about 6 hours and scrubbed the blighter with a wire toothbrush before cleaning it out with carb cleaner, and refitted it.

I then took it for a blast around about 20 miles and it was still smoking admittable not as bad but still smoking none the less.

Does it take a while to get all the carbon out of the system?
Will it always smoke a little when you acellerate hard?
Is it worth cleaning out the inlet manifold?

I do not want to block the valve off completely as I am of the opinion it is there for a reason and in the past have bypassed things to my expence.

Cheers 8)
TREVMC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 23:53    Post subject: Re: Last question in picture?????? Reply with quote

Trig wrote:
Just a last question (in picture) to confirm what has been described above... (NewRSoul... 20 mintues including having the drink  8)  Exclamation  )

RED marks:
Part 1: the EGR tube the can also be blocked with a golf ball tee!
Part 2: the two bolts that need to come out to block the whole thing! Is it ok to block this end after unbolting?... can't show part 3 which must be the other two bolts near the inlet!

Just curious! What are the parts marked with Green & Blue !? The part marked in blue has a top that rotates freely!

Ok the grean is the waste gate actuator for the turbo and the blue is the over-boost blow off valve leave them both alone or pay the big bills!!
the egr blocking is ok and does no damage but a lot of good!!!!!! Laughing
Steve H

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

My EGR is blanked off at the exhaust side.

Should the blanking plate be on the inlet side???
RIXY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question has anyone tried this mod with a 3ltr v6 petrol engine ,and if so are there any benefits or pitfalls ?

cheers rixy.......
Demon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

still cannot find mine I will post some photos soon.
nigel fegan

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 13:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

having had the golf tee stuck up the vacum pipe for the last few weeks, it did make a noticable difference to the smoke output but people saying that blocking off the valve completely is even better, couldn't see how as unless the valve's stuck open it should be the same result... but i did it anyway to satisfy my curiosity..., seems to be the same, except now i need a gasket for the exaust side of valve! as old one is not resealing. is the EGR valve only on jap imports and am i going to have a problem getting one, would a coke can work or would exaust gasses just burn a hole through it?
marcsparks

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it is only the imports that have the egr valve,anew gasket from mits shouldnt be a lot i wouldnt have thought,i know trig said that using a can it burnt through,if you look on tech faq its in there i think atb marc
RIXY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

morning all..
i take it no one knows about egr's on petrol pajeros then ?
can't find anything on previous history either!!!

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad cheers rixy ..
Metnav1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixy,
don't block the EGR on a petrol engine. It's part of your cold running choke system, and will cause the vehicle idling problems while warming up.

George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: