QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

EGR Valve again

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yokozuna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 19:24    Post subject: EGR Valve again Reply with quote

Got sick of doing 'sink the bismark' type smoke trails so decided to block off the pipe to the egr, 'no smoke' and spins the inside wheel when puulling out from a junction with the same amount of throttle, amazing.
Just looking for reassurance that I,m not hurting my motor by doing it,
Traced one end back to the solenoid looking thing on the bulkhead, has any body traced the other pipe? what does that control?
Also does blocking it off make any difference at service time its being given a full service next week I,ve only drained off the Japanese oil and changed the fiter up to now.
Regards
Berni
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 19:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

JayCee
Events rep (Ireland)
Events rep (Ireland)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying you got a performance increase just by blocking the ERG pipe.. Question

If so I'll be outside in 5 min's time rain or not..Wink

Joe
Trig

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yokozuna,... go on, tell us how you blocked the little *beep* STEP by STEP PLEEEEEEZ Very Happy
yokozuna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOE
I dont know if I got a performance increase or not but before the car felt as if it was 'holding back' a little particularily between second and third as if it couldnt make up its mind to change gear, and making big smoke plumes. now it pulls strongly and apart from a little black on full throttle which I believe to be right makes no smoke! now I dont mind waiting in a stream of traffic to turn right when plods behind me before I was feathering the throttle to try to reduce the smoke.
Trig
As to how I did it
Step one find a golf tee
step two pull off the rubber pipe from the agr vacuum canister
step three push golf tee into end of pipe
thats all I,ve done! make sure the pipe cant dangle down near to the Turbo I zip tied mine up.
I hope I,ve not done anything stupid but its been two days and 200 clicks now and everything seems fine.
Trig

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yokozuna, I had a look THIS morning at the EGR... and was thinking what to block it with.... I thought of a metal screw!! But the golf tee idea is quite handy Very Happy

I also asked around about the EGR... and what I understood (correct if wrong please!) is that when the Turbo is pushed hard, the valve releases some of the Turbo output to the exhuast!! If you block it then you don't loose that extra bit of Turbo output...

The question is why have it there in the first place? ... also if you block it what's the WORST thing to happen?... can you blow the Turbo up? Confused
nigel fegan

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

having read this I'm also now thinking about doing the same, '96 2.8 LWB with only 39,000mls but very smokie, love to hear some more info first though!
jimmy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:41    Post subject: EGR why.... Reply with quote

The EGR valve or Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve allows exhaust gas into the air intake. The reason for doing this is that it reduces the temperature of combustion and the level of NOx (oxides of nitrogen) that are output. NOx is a cause of acid rain and so lower levels are a good thing (especially if your a tree). However in our Pajeros the EGR valve usually due to being sooted up and not functioning correctly causes a lot of smoke which is made up of soot particulates and aggravate respiratory problems like asma, so blocking it off to stop this is also a good thing....

My understanding of the MOT for our Diesels is that they look at the smoke out put and not the NOx levels so blocking it may help pass the MOT (mine is blocked and sails through it's MOT).

As an aside I would block the EGR valve by replacing the gasket where the exhaust enters it with a solid plate. Only blocking the vacuum tube will mean if your EGR valve is faulty ie not closing properly) you will still have gases recirculating and I also noticed that the valve vents to the atmosphere spreadign soot around your engine bay if you bock the output from the valve to the intake manifold....

Hope this is all clear 8)
yokozuna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trig
Dosnt the turbo wastegate dump excess pressure? I think I heard mine working sounded like somebody drumming their fingers on the bonnet, its the first time thats happened as well since I,ve been running the car.
Jimmy
I,m thinking of cutting a gasket from a coke can (one of the other threads mentioned it) but the bolts look a *beep* to get at on the exhaust side of the valve and doing it that way, I cant see any soot around the thing at the moment and I,ve been booting it quite a lot just to enjoy the rear view.
Anyway you can only try it it worked for me.
Ivor Green

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quickie Be carefull blocking these EGR valves We dont but there are the odd hot head young MOT testers who look for EGR opperation on the test, they wach to see if it pulsates when raising the engine speed , on what basis they could fail it I dont quite know, but a comment to one of our local competitors and I was told they always check it opperation where possible to do so . and just as a foot note , I hope you are checking those Cam belts they take a fair old hammering on the MOT smoke test , and the testers take no prisoners when they floor the pedal to the metal . if any doubt about there condition , Change them . and dont forget the ballancer belt at the same time , can make a nasty mess when that one breaks .
yokozuna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Ivor I,ll watch out for them,although my Garage seem really more interested in seeing if they can get the T.V. and satnav system to speak English. Very Happy Very Happy
nigel fegan

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have carried out the above mentioned mod. to the EGR valve and there's definatly considerably less smoke but didn't notice any power increase.
would it be better to block up the EGR valve or would there be any difference?
what happens to all the black smoke that was there?
Quote:
'96 2.8td LWB
NewRSoul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a go at this on Sat morning, I had been thinking of doing it for a while, on my 2.8 I unbolted the 2 12mm bolts from the EGR tube (to the exhaust manifold) and the 2 12mm bolts into the inlet manifold, then very easily peeled the metal gasket from the inlet, drunk a can of pepsi, stanley knifed a replica of the gasket from the empty can (slightls smaller so it couldn't be seen by some tester) placed the blanking piece (pepsi) against the inlet, the real gasket on top (so it doesn't look any different) and rebolted the unit on.

After a test drive I must admit it seems smoother, the EGR valve was bery sooty, and may even have been leaking past, but now it can't.

The car is producing less smoke also, although this is subjective.

I'm happy with mod, it took all of 20mins to do, including drinking the pepsi!

With the ease it took doing this it may be worth others doing this as a tester, if there not happy then just remove it. The problem with blocking the vacuum pipe is that if the value is faulty, and leaking then it doesn't work, this way it's definate.

Hope this helps.
Trig

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 17:07    Post subject: Last question in picture?????? Reply with quote

Just a last question (in picture) to confirm what has been described above... (NewRSoul... 20 mintues including having the drink  8)  Exclamation  )

RED marks:
Part 1: the EGR tube the can also be blocked with a golf ball tee!
Part 2: the two bolts that need to come out to block the whole thing! Is it ok to block this end after unbolting?... can't show part 3 which must be the other two bolts near the inlet!

Just curious! What are the parts marked with Green & Blue !? The part marked in blue has a top that rotates freely!

NewRSoul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trig,

Mine's a 2.8, see the below for a photo, the layout seems somewhat different on the 2.5.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=3321226

I don't think you'd do much with a golf tee in the EGR pipe, it must be an inch round! I think most people put it in the vacuum pipe to stop activation of the diaphram.

But from your photo it would seem similar enough to it a try, I think there must be more that 2 bolts though, becasue it must be fastened to to inlet and exhaust manifolds?
Trig

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewRSoul, thanks for the detailed photo Very Happy There is a different layout indeed... but as you said they are still similar. The 2.8 EGR valve is rotated, the 2.5's faces upwards... I think I will also give it a try... the two bolts I show in my photo see to be the only bolts holding the valve... !
PLan is... unbolt those two... remove the valve... clean it (while drinking my cold beer Wink )... cut a sheet of the beer can... fit and put back together... Will have a go asap... and post results Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: