Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

EGR Valve again

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RIXY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Metnav1
i shall leave well alone , and go play with me narrowboat instead...

cheers rixy Razz Razz Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

mikey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all,
i thought i was getting more smoke than normal over the past few days,
took the egr valve off,and the fosters can blanking plate had burned though, so made a new one out of thicker gauge steel.
much better again,more pull again and less smoke. worth checking if you have blocked yours off with a drink can.
enyarick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Anybody know the relationship between the EGR and turbo? Had my engine overhauled and when all the bits and pieces were connected there is a clacking noise coming from the turbo with the EGR connected and i try to go up a hill slowly(or use some muscle), but when the tube leading from the EGR is dis-connected so the valve doesnt open it pulls away gr8 and also has a lot more power and the turbo seems fine. I know blanking off the EGR adds a lot of kick to the car but even when still connected there shouldnt be strange noises coming from the turbo. There should only be smoke and low power right? Any ideas?
TREVMC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the waste gate seized up ? just a thought
enyarick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will have a look at the wastegate today. I thought that maybe i was losing pressure to the EGR since when the vacuum pipe is disconnected, the turbo worked fine.
enyarick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconected the turbo and had a look see and everything seems fine. Its almost as if the exhaust gas being recirculated into the combustion chambers is adversly affecting the combustion. Because the kind of smoke being produced is amazing and there is a real loss of power when the EGR is connected. But when i disconnect the vacuum tube its like a new car. Any help?
The Lewis Mob

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi enyarick,

the EGR valve is a very heavily debated subject on the forum.
just type EGR into the search facilty, sit back and read, and read, and read..........

Basically, to get round emissions requirements, the EGR valve "dirties" the combustion (not as good as it could be) and lowers the firing temperature.

So, if by removing the vacuum pipe you get worse performance etc - you will probably find that the EGR is doing its job!

Most people block theirs off by various means - you will have to decide if you wish to or not!

Have a look at this posting http://www.pocuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6273&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Cheers

Paul
enyarick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul
Ive been through the postings on EGR already and mostly the debate is whether or not to blank it out to improve performance. However my problem is different. My recently overhauled engine will only work right if the EGR is not. When the EGR is working i.e. vacuum tube connected and 'dirtying' the combustion, the paj simply wont move. And it coughs out all manner of smoke and the clanking noise from the turbo region. But pull out the vacuum tube and lo and behold! no noise and smooth power. Im going to have it looked at by somebody who works on turbos over the weekend(or if i get time during the week). But i wanted to know beforehand what to expect.
The Lewis Mob

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

enyarrick,

sorry mate, completely miss typed my post to you Embarassed

As you say, when the EGR is connected, then the performance will be compromised, as the combustion is "dirtied".

Therefor, if when you remove the EGR vacuum pipe, you get better performance, then its working properly?

Strange but true. Consider getting it permanantly blocked off.

One thing though, if you say that when the EGR is connected, it coughs and wheezes like an old thing, there maybe other things needing attention too.

A good dollop of fuel additive to clean the whole system through would be a good shout, as would replacement air filter etc. (sorry if i,m stating the obvious, or you've already mentioned this)

The other area that might need a tweak would be the diesel pump itself.

I think you said it ran like a comparative dream with the EGR pipe disconected - try this first (block off completely) to see how she performs on a long run etc.

Again, sorry for the confusion Embarassed

Cheers

Paul.
enyarick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul
I will definitely look into ur suggestions. I think the thing thats bugging me the most is the fact that it was working fine before...with the EGR working. I was thinking of blocking it after doing thorough research (Both here and asking around) But now it seems like i will have to block it without that option. By the way have been through postings on this and havent found anything definitive about how the fuel consumption is affected by blanking.
Musotechy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 18:54    Post subject: New Reply with quote

Hi All,

Gonna give this a go at the weekend, do I need any sealant (mastic) when putting it all back together.

I also see that the owners club shop is selling thick guage blanking plates for this job. Will try the coke can (or similar) then by the real thing.

Does anyone have a definative yes or no to better or worse fuel consumption.

Fanx

muso
Trig

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musotechy, welcome to the family m8 Smile ... you must have done a lot of digging to resurrect this thread again Laughing ... I am sure you came across the guide to blocking the valve (with photos) in the Tech. FAQ. Wink ... I started with a Pepsi (don't like Coke) can..... later on I cut my own tougher thicker plate... the club plates should be good though 8)

Effect on mpg!? ... mine didn't make a difference Rolling Eyes ... but less black smoke (which means you can adjust UP the diesel pump screw... thus more pull )... My Paj seemed to go smoother when EGR blocked, specially with lower gears.
Musotechy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome and the info.

Fanx

muso
pajemann1

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading and reading...

in my 2.8 with 210.000 km, it donesn't smoke anythings...it ride very smooth but....blocking the egr valve, could increase the power at low rpm such as 1200 1300?...and about the fuel consumption ....as i read before...from 22 mpg to 32 mpg...it would be very nice....just cleaning the egr in gasoline( is it ok ? or better nafta, alcool or a specific cleaner?)

the link about how unmount it doesn't work...the site requires me to log in... Rolling Eyes

however very interesting 3d

Cool
butchyk

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont believe the EGR valve is ever the problem!! If any of you have ever taken it apart to clean it?, how simple is it inside........ a spring and a diaphrm.
Now unless the diaphram is split or the spring broken, a simple clean should be all it needs to work correctly. YES??

You have to look at what controls it, Im almost willing to lay money on the fact that it will almost always be the solenoid assembly which causes so many problems!!

All you people who blank them off are simply masking a problem.

Forgive me but im one of these people that must have something working properly if its there lol RANT OVER  Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: