2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Electric Windows not working...?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayCee
Events rep (Ireland)
Events rep (Ireland)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:41    Post subject: Electric Windows not working...? Reply with quote

Hi ,
I've just replaced the motor and winder unit in one of my rear windows.
20 min job..it now works. But reading this might save you some money.

I noted on several posts people mentioning their windows being slow going up or down , and yes it's true that a little silicon lubricant of some sort will help sometimes.But it's not the only glitch in the works...

Assuming that you have checked the electrics and there is power getting to the motor.....

Time for an internal examination.... Wink

On my window motor setup a captive cable is wound around a spool, the whole unit is basically a triangle shape. The glass is bolted to a sliding bracket mounted on a long vertical bar with a pully both ends . A braided wire is fixed to top an bottom of this sliding bracket . The wire is then wound around the spool in either direction so as to make the bracket slide up or down the vertical bar.

The window Glass was stuck in the up position when I went to change the unit which meant that the screws on the glass bracket were inaccesable.
To solve this I undid the motor section, unscrewed the motor cover and removed its armature (It just screws out ) this allowed me to access the screws on the glass mounting bracket and remove the unit.
And replaced with the new one.Tested and it works ..great..!
(Put something like a few rags in the bottom of the door in case the glass drops)

However .. Since I had the old motor and the rest of the unit on the bench I thought I'd examine it and try to see what might have been the problem for future reference..(Lwb=4 windows) "Gulp !"

Inspecting the old bar it was obvious where there was no grease on the bar and a little friction was occuring, it must have gotten steadily worse and eventually caused the drive motor to bind up.with it removed from the door a liberal application of grease was applied to the slide, cable and the wire, and the motor armature and casing re-assembled (Keep the carbon brushes out of the way with a small screwdriver or it won't go back together..they are spring loaded)

Being a glutton for punishment I then decided to test the old unit with 2 leads from a 12v battery..(To reverse direction- reverse polarity.)
Result:
It works fine..If I'd known then what I know now I could have saved myself the price of a new motor and slide... Ho Hum..!! Shocked

Hopefully this little bit of info will save someone else some money.

Joe
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Trig

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayCee, thanks for sharing the information Very Happy This clubsite is getting better everyday... now our dear ACTIVE members provide answers for future questions 8) 8) ...
Navigatorone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a problem on the Passenger window. It goes down but won't go up again and now it has stuck in the full down position. All the other windows work. Fuses are OK and the motor is getting Power. What next?

Keith

LWB TD MK 1
JayCee
Events rep (Ireland)
Events rep (Ireland)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith,

are you sure the motor is getting power when the switch is trying to wind -up..?

If it is try tapping the motor a couple of times with a screwdriver handle..it may be just stuck or sticking brushes in the motor, or it could be a faulty limit switch that hasn't switched over.
There is a 2 bladed T shaped connector at the bottom of the motor run 2 leads directly from the battery and briefly touch them off this on the motor side you may have to swap polaritys around .

Otherwise get your spanners out take the assembly off the door and try to free it up ..If its stuck down you should be able to get at the glass mount screws.. It's most lightly just stuck.

Best of luck

Joe
Navigatorone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been in the Paj. Jumped in with the kids and they pressed the Passenger door switch to put the window up and guess what it worked no problem and I have'nt done anything, very strange!!. The window went up and came down great, I am sure it is a relay that has reset perhaps

So kids are good for something!!

They have had ice creams and a game of tennis and now they have gone to the off licence for sweets with a couple of quid each for solving my window problem

I must be going soft!!

Keith
JayCee
Events rep (Ireland)
Events rep (Ireland)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for You..! 8)

It's probably either a dodgy contact on one of the switchs ..something to try if it happens again is to swap the pass and driver side switches over.

I assume it's on your rear windows ....

Either that or me just thinking about it sorted it ... Surprised
Uri Geller ...watch out..
Ian 146

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

The info n the windows is great!! i have a couple of rears running slow, maybe pocuk can ad your article into the techinical section for future use.

Good work
Stuey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add it to the technical FAQ chaps... thanks for the input!

(It'll now be read only though, because it's the FAQ)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: