eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

performance mods and resonator - 2.5mk 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fizz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 22:20    Post subject: performance mods and resonator - 2.5mk 2 Reply with quote

having read the ongoing egr discussions,i decided to venture under my own bonnet,and blank off the offending valve.whilst under there,i noticed that my kickdown cable had undone and was hanging loose on the bracket.this would explain the poor gearchange when trying to get the slug moving.
now to the meat of the matter.
on my `91 2.5lwb there is a pipe which branches off the intercooler inlet side,and goes into a tube which runs across the front of the intercooler.
it doesn`t appear to do anything.i guess it must be some sort of balance pipe or expansion chamber.surely a straight pipe,bypassing this would aid performance again.if the pipe is just there to relieve pressure,then the dump valve will never need to open,whereas provided the valve is in working order,it will blow off if you get excited with the throttle,once the pipe is bypassed.
does anyone agree,or have any views on this,or am i talking b*££*%s
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 22:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

stumpey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pipe you are talking about is the resonator it helps keep the induction noise down on your engine. If you drive a MK1 it does not have a resonator and you can hear the induction noise in the cab especially when the turbo is pushing hard after 2000 rpm.
Some people remove the resonator to smooth the flow but you do get an increase in noise.

Steve
DTP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitsubishi refer to said 'Pipe' on the intercooler as a Blancher pipe. I would tend to agree with Stumpey's point on both reduced noise and added value to power if you take out that T-peice for a straight replacement.

If you want some thoughts on modifications to these engines, I have a few tricks up my sleeve - most of the same principles for 'blown' (ie forced induction) tuning for petrol engines is applicable to Diesel tuning, and it's so simple, it's daft!! The other bonus is that a lot of mods shouldn't neccesarily effect your insurance premium, assuming you're willing to tell them! My other car is a 150bhp+ 1275 mini turbo (standard is 95 bhp). I haven't spent a fortune on 'hot' parts, I've simply increased the efficiency of the turbo induction process!!! It's a handful, I can tell you....

If you want me to add some pointers on Diesel tuning, just say and I'll jot away! And I can also point you in the direction of a Business I know who can supply Diesel tuning parts, if you are prepared to make a budget for it.

Dan
stumpey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resonators How and Why

Everything in your car is there for a reason and not there just to reduce noise and rob you of power. The most often removed and least understood "mystery piece" found on a motor would have to be the humble inlet resonator. Normally formed from unattractive black plastic and bulbous in design, the inlet offends the ignorant for a couple of reasons. firstly the shape and size of the resonator makes people believe that its just a tacked on afterthought to make your engine bay look fuller than it really is. The second myth is that the inlet resonator is there to quite your engine by reducing induction roar. In fact, the inlet resonator is a carefully designed part of the induction system, matched to the particular characteristics of the engine it is mated to.

They come is several different designs, such as side branched, inline (inside the induction tubing) and mounted top and bottom. Rather than affecting the peak power output, they can have a dramatic effect on the smoothness of power delivery and bottom end torque of the engine. This is why fitting an aftermarket inlet system can often make your car perform worse than it did originally.

Resonators allow the flow of air to be increased. They do this by literally creating a mini atmosphere where a reserve of air can be stored for the engine to use!(virtually making the inlet pipe shorter) But because these resonators work on acoustics it needs to be tuned to the engine! ( they only work on NORMAL ASPIRATED engines because these engines need to suck the air that they need.) So if you have a Turbo or other forced induction engine you can dump the resonator.

Steve
allan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumpey wrote:
Resonators How and Why...........etc etc
Steve

Steve, did you swallow a manual????

allan
stumpey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope just my anorak sleeve Very Happy Very Happy

Steve
fizz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys. as ever very enlightening.thanks to stumpey for clearing up what it is and what its doing there,and thanks dtp for the offer of more tips.
i`m not too familiar with diesels or turbo`s but i have been preparing road and race motorcycles for many years,for myself and friends.
i`m not looking to turn my paj into some fire breathing beast,but i hate the thought of driving or riding anything that isn`t sorted.i.e running efficiently.hence my tinkering and quest for knowledge. Very Happy
johndps

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

chip it
TD's benefit enormously from after market chips
Philco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

John.....you cant chip a '91 engine as there is no electronic management system..........you can only play with the pump and turbo Rolling Eyes
johndps

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: