QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Forum, passwords and security ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Club News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 21:39    Post subject: Forum, passwords and security ... Reply with quote

If you have given ANYBODY your password for the forum or chatroom services, FOR ANY REASON, then please be sure to change your password following the event for which you've given away your security details.

It is difficult enough to try to defend against the possibility of malicious attacks on the internet, without making it any easier.

There are a number of posts which have been reported as having been altered, where the amendor details are shown to be the person who raised the post, although they insist it is not them, (does that all make sense?).

Help us to help you ... if you think you may have given away your password - change it!

This has been a public service announcement, brought to you by PoCUK Smile

It's a jungle out there!

Simon.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 21:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

SteveN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon

While I have not been affected by this (i think) I have recieved three emails in two days from "admin" which contained the "Win32.badtrans" worm!!!! the last was yesterday & cost 1hour of disk checking
Evil or Very Mad

see HERE

My antivirus software appears to have done it's job in identifying the infected mail & allowing me to delete it. This MAY be the way some individuals have had their passwords "stolen" for what purpose on this forum Question Question

Just a thought, & yes I have changed my login password.

SteveN
Philco

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too received 2 emails at the weekend from "admin" with the senders address being "admin@hobsons-choice.com", their size being about 160k but when opened contained nothing and no attachment. I have an anti-virus programme running which did not detect anything and have since done a manual test which proved negative.
Presumably, if my login/password details are known then it is only my posts which will be affected, so I will monitor this to see if any unorthorised changes occur, rather than change my password at this stage, unless you tell me otherwise.
Natalie

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon...

I too have had emails off Admin@hobsons-choice.com with the subject Introduction to ADSL which was roughly 160k..But, like Philco, when I opened it, it was completely blank!!

This is getting really strange. Sad
PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 16:01    Post subject: rogue emails from the club ... Reply with quote

I have tried to explain before ... there are many viruses (is that the right plural?) which will hijack email addresses from either your address-book, or by trawling the internet looking for any string like xxxxx@yyyyyy.com and using that in place of the sender, so it looks like the email is from me, but in fact it isn't!

I have taken extensive steps to prevent any virus activity on my own PC's and have been as thorough as I can with the club website and our own server - these viruses are very clever!

I do not hold an email address book online, so I can only guess it's been picked up from the internet or from a club member's address book - Microsoft Outlook is particularly vulnerable.

I am NOT in the habit of sending unsolicited e-mails to club members and usually only use email in reply to a direct mail from you - be very suspicious of any e-mail purporting to be from the club, (or the ltd company Hobson's Choice), in particular if it contains an attachment or the title suggests any fixes for viruses, has any sexual context or makes any kind of proposal ... please remember ... regularly check the club notice board on the front page of the site or the 'club announcements' forum - if I have any general news, it will be posted there.

Finally - your forum passwords ... I would suggest it is impossible for a virus to get your password for the club forum from your PC - they are unrelated! (I am not throwing down the gauntlet for a hacker to prove me wrong) - Your password for the forum is held in an encrypted form on the database on the host server - even as forum administrator I am unable to access it! I suspect that the few incidents we have seen on the forum have been a simple abuse of trust Sad

I hope this puts a few minds at rest?

Regards,

Simon.
Andy(NorthWales)
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

OK, with these type's of e-mail's a hacker/virus program writer will trawl the internet for e-mail addresses, once he/she has collected enough they will send an e-mail out using the addresses that they have collected as the sender's...

These are called MULTI-POSTING VIRUSES, they can be completely harmless or they can be dormante one's waiting to either receive a code or a certain date before they wake up.

As for VIRUS scanner's they will only pick-up approx 98% of VIRUSES, and until it has been discovered/reported then the VIRUS Software companies can't do anything about them....

So the bottom line is DO NOT OPEN ANY ATTACHMENT'S WHICH ARE INCLUDED IN BLANK E-MAIL'S

If anyone would like more advice then please feel free to P.M me...

Andy...
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 21:27    Post subject: Very strange Reply with quote

I feel it's strange that after many years on the internet, oh god to many to remember, i have never had any viruses! sent via emails etc, no false emails like the other day, i.e admin@pajeroowners.co.uk, which is not on my email list, so see it difficult to come from my email accounts, yet, since using pocuk, which I enjoy and feel is excellent,I have had several, well documented by many people attacks.

So sorry to say, I am convinced it is coming from a member, dont know how, dont want to know how, just if your having a laugh, well, you have had one or two now , so please.
Daily update of my anti virus seems to solve, just bloody annoying having to deal with silly people.

You won't win, I will keep using pocuk, if only to keep Simon busy!! checking all the time. But Simon has better things to be doing as well.

Cheers everyone, especially the one I know is doing it.
Stuey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richie,

The one who "is doing it" won't know. Poeple these days don't send viruses themselves on purpose. It is people's carelessness that allows the virus to spread. You can only blame people without virus protection, or almost as bad, with out of date virus protection.

Nothing is personal. The link must be someone in the club though. It must be someone who doesn't have my email address in their address book as well. That discounts just a few of the regulars.
SteveN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon and anyone else Exclamation

When, in my last post, I reffered to "admin" that was the complete senders info. NO mention or infrence(spelling) to POCUK was intended.

The story:-
I have been very busy recently, 6:30 am start - 01:30am finnish, no sob story just too many customers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil and too few hours in the day Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
On Saturday the Co. PC crashed so I lost 1.5 days, so when the pc was fixed Monday I still had sh Mad t loads to catch up on. Then these Virus attacks. My ar Shocked se closed up and my mind went blank, just delete the offending mail (autopilot condition) scan the pc (again) so now it's 11.30pm tuesday night lost tooo many hours and the job is required thursday 09:00am with a weeks work still required Shocked

Dawn THIS IS NO HOBBY Exclamation Exclamation

This morning delivered job 09:00am sleep tonight, this afternoon, tomorrow ............ Razz
So when I login this morning and see this thread I think OH..what have I started Question Question

To the sad individual who is doing this ... get a life.

SteveN
stumpey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old post I know but just keeping it warm...................

Hackers use email as a way of sending a trojan into you system. When you open the unknown email it will be blank but you have released the trojan into your system. This trojan can do anything from delete you boot sytem to becoming a key logger. Trojans can send back a message to the hacker that you have come "on line" they will then do what they want either enter your system or ask the trojan to send back info about you with snapshots of screens and places that you have been with passwords and logins from the key logger. You will not know this is being done unless you have a firewall or some other kind of protection. The give away will be if you sit on your computer and see the modem light flashing (56k) and you are not doing any thing other than reading your email or your adsl software is telling you that you have info flowing up and down between you isp and pc.. There is no limit to what they can do to the unwary so be warned......

So you may think everything is OK but in reality it is not you may have something sitting in your system from that unknown email that you know nothing about DON'T open suspect email delete it .

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Club News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: