QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Changing dash and interior lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arthur1957
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 18:07    Post subject: Changing dash and interior lights Reply with quote

Haven't posted on here for some time and my 1999 2.8TD Shogun still going strong. Haven't changed anything on my truck for some time apart from servicing regularly but have now decided to upgrade as much as I can, starting with the interior lighting. My first question is can anyone tell me the type of light used on the switches, they are  so small and I have no idea what type it is. Can pull the switches apart but then faced with a pull off light approximately 5mm wide, dia of the light is about 2-3 mm. IF these are not available is there anyone who has changed these to an LED, your  help in this would be greatly appreciated. Rolling Eyes
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 18:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is an earlier model than yours and the switches may be a bit different but I changed my bulbs for LEDs.

It is quite fiddly because the switch has to be completely dismantled (including the switch contacts, springs and ball bearings)

Once it is in bits then you will see the brass conductors on the side of the switch - one of them feeds power from the lighting circuit to the bulb / LED. If the switch has an indicator light then there are two brass conductors.

I used 3mm LEDs in mine - but LEDs need a resistor (470 ohm) in series to make them work on 12V - so the brass conductor needs to be cut (with a Dremel) and a resistor soldered in the gap. Once that is done then the original bulb is removed and the LED is soldered onto the two pins (correct way round!).

Then it is just a matter of putting the switch back together.

There are some diagrams of the pin connections on my Google Drive HERE but some of your switches may be different.

I'll try to find some photos later on.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just see the switches on this photo:

Also - I bought some used switches off eBay and converted them. It is very easy to lose bits when you dismantle the switches so I played safe and saved my original ones.
Arthur1957
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 20:29    Post subject: lights Reply with quote

Thanks Pete much appreciated, I had an idea that would be the case. I guess I must have lost the ball bearings , although the switches work (tried to look at the aerial extender switch). Your lights look great, thats exactly what I want to do. I had looked on you tube and there was someone who showed how to solder the diode etc, so I will try this next week and let you know how I get on.
Presumably with my glasses on I should be able to determine the positive for the LED, or is it simpler than that.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 20:43    Post subject: Re: lights Reply with quote

Arthur1957 wrote:

Presumably with my glasses on I should be able to determine the positive for the LED, or is it simpler than that.

99% of the time it is the long lead.

Also - if you look at the LED from the side the negative is the larger electrode of the two

Arthur1957
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peteinchad

Thanks for the advice and the pics, have started to fit the 1.5 Leds with resistor to my switches, and what a fiddly job. As there is no indication of positive within the switch housing it has been a bit of solder first, check, and if it doesn't work solder it the other way around. Because I have chosen blu the light within the switch is subtle but visible in a dark cab. So only about 10 more switches to complete as none of them work and I'm sick of guessing where the switches are in the dark.

Changed the dash bulbs to LED and they look very similar to yours. One question, how did you manage to get behind the clock area and air vents in the middle of your truck to place lights, am I right in assuming it was a length of LEDs. Now trying to fit Double din which is beginning to get interesting.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does take quite a while to do the switches - but the LEDs last a long time. Mine have been in for seven years.

I'm not sure about how different your dash is to mine but my digital clock just pulled out - I also removed the compass pod and the metal plate under it to get to the vents and used a T10 bulb holder that push fitted into a hole drilled into the vent - making sure the LED doesn't foul the moving grille inside the vents.

The side vents can be got at by removing the speakers.

The footwells are lit with stick on LED strips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: