2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

synthetic,semi synthetic or mineral oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterbabie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:59    Post subject: synthetic,semi synthetic or mineral oil Reply with quote

about to do my first oil change on my pajero 3.2 DID v reg and i know im going to open a can of words with this but which is the best oil to use for my model pajero,ive done some searches on this but most of the replys refer to older models.also orderd some oil booster by mistake from club shop was going to use it rather than send it back but they recomend that it is for older vehicles high mileage and mines only done 36000 miles use it or not.look forward to your replys mark.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Bob Shaw
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 13:48    Post subject: oil change Reply with quote

My preference is your Castrol GTX. I have been using it for 45 years and have had no failure of a lubricated part. I haven't tried synthetics yet. Be carefull of synthetics in the differentials however, I hear they are great in the tranny.
cssuk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

decent synthetic i treat boosters like snake oil if it needed it the oil makers would put it in
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

here goes that can then Rolling Eyes

mitsi changed to synthetic in 2003,since the change the number of failures has risen dramatically(mitsi have neither confirmed or denied this) please don't use synthetic oils in old diesel engines(the 3.2 is a reworked 2.8 ) clean oil is far better than expensive oil. and always use a genuine mitsi filter.
as to the snake oil,i've used it,and it worked for me Wink
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

more x 4 wrote:
here goes that can then Rolling Eyes

mitsi changed to synthetic in 2003,since the change the number of failures has risen dramatically(mitsi have neither confirmed or denied this) please don't use synthetic oils in old diesel engines(the 3.2 is a reworked 2.8 ) clean oil is far better than expensive oil. and always use a genuine mitsi filter.
as to the snake oil,i've used it,and it worked for me Wink
when you say cheap oil you cant mean cheap cr*p oil that's not even fit for the purpose, might as well put cooking oil in engine.why not just use a decent mineral or semi syn and change it as manufacturers recomendations.theres no need to change it more often than that, using a inferior oil that's more likely to do bad rather than any good,as for using oil boosters there's already loads of additives in good branded oil all ready so your probably only adding more of the same stuff they've already put in and most major oil brands recommend not to use other additives with there oil.
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never said cheap oil,and why would a major manufacturer even suggest that an oil booster might "improve" their oil? think about it Rolling Eyes

i use a decent mineral in mine(it's a 24valver) and i always put a good booster in after a flush,because it has cleaning and anti foaming agents in it(it stops tappet rattle in the big engines)
colger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read on many occasions that mineral oil is best however, is mineral oil recommended for use with engines with turbos?? The mineral oil cans which I have seen dont mention turbos whereas semi-synth cans do.
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

more x 4 wrote:
i never said cheap oil,and why would a major manufacturer even suggest that an oil booster might "improve" their oil? think about it Rolling Eyes

i use a decent mineral in mine(it's a 24valver) and i always put a good booster in after a flush,because it has cleaning and anti foaming agents in it(it stops tappet rattle in the big engines)
the thing is theres so many oil additives out there claiming there additive and only there additive is the best,some have ptfe in them that can do more harm than good.i totaly agree with the rest of your post genuine filter regular oil change and so on misenterpreted the bit about clean oil being better than expensive oil.ive bought protec radiator flush, oil flush, and diesel cleaner and it is good stuff.just oil additives, ive read so mutch bad stuff about them.
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

the worst of the bunch is the one you mentioned Wink never put teflon in your engine
Bob Shaw
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 23:10    Post subject: Teflon Reply with quote

I know of 2 Pajeros that spun rod bearings after using "slick 50". Myself and another.
waterbabie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your replys everyone,i think i will go with what more x4 says as ive read a lot about synthetic oil being no good for big diesel engines,so will go with mineral.but although you say the 3.2 is just a re worked 2.8 when you read the wright up protech give for their oil booster product they mean that it is designed for older diesels as in higher mileage engine wear and manuals where mine is auto.so do i use the stuff or not.
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

throw the can in the engine,before i used it i found out all i could about the stuff. it won't hurt Wink (you could always send it to me Laughing Wink )
waterbabie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats all i was concerned about more x4 was if it would do more harm than good but will give it a go.and thanks for the offer will send you the empty can for recycling as i know being a petrol head you care about the enviroment?
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always recycle ramblers Twisted Evil Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: