Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Fitting a new aerial or antenna mast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markppearson

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:22    Post subject: Fitting a new aerial or antenna mast Reply with quote

Hi you lot.

Just fitted a new aerial mast as my got bent due to those lovely low trees.

Could'nt find much on here what to do and how, so thought I would post it for those, like me, a little less techy minded.

Before I start, 95% of the credit goes to more x4, again, for the advice over the phone.

1. Remove the holding screw thingy which sits on top of the black rubber surround. Its unscrews anti-clockwise, and I found either a big headed screwdriver or a pair of pliers will do this ok.

2. Switch the radio on so that the aerial extends. Whilst it is extending, pull the mast out of the hole and grab the white cogged rip-cord pulling this moderately aswell until it pops out completely.

(I bought my mast and the instructions tell you that you have to remove the metal ring sleeve that sits inside the black rubber. Rubbish, you DO NOT have to remove this.)

3. With the radio left switched on, and before fitting the new mast, extend all the mast sections of themast manually in your hand.

4. Offer the end of the white rip-cord into the hole. (You may need a 2nd person from here if you dont have a remote controlled on/off radio)

TAKE CARE NOT TO GET YOUR FINGERS STUCK OR CAUGHT IN THIS PART!!

5. Switch the radio off so that the aerial motor goes to retract. Push the white rip-cord of the new mast in firmly but gently until it grabs. Then quickly guide the bottom of the new mast into the hole. The new mast should retract fully.

6. Screw the holding ring back in place finger tight. (Dont kick it under the car like I did!!)

7. Try the aerial a few times. If it works and pops up & down fully ok, its all sorted and you have a nice shiny new 'straight' aeriel mast. Tighten the screw ring completely and job done.

Some people may find this a simple job to do, but if like me, have never tried it before, I hope this will be of use.

Job from start to finish took around 3-4 minutes.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

garry

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:34    Post subject: aeriel mast Reply with quote

thats the way to do it easy isnt it i done mine and found it dead easy blob1 blob8 glasses1 glasses2 kermit love7 triplets
Wild-Gal

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this.....will have a go at ours at the weekend.... Wink

Someone told me that the wing needs to come off to get to aerial bit Question Question
Redjam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done mate, good bit of info!! 8) 8)
cavecommander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

my aerial dosnt come up or down.. its seems completely dead.. its not the mast so does anybody have any info on how easy/hard it is to get at the bit under the wing..

i am guessing u remove the inner plastic cover but i dont know..

trog
ShoBud21

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trogg
You will need to take off the plastic wheel arch trim under the wheel arch. Its worth buying a few new trim clips, 'cos inevitably some will get chewed up when you take them out. Remove the wheel first obviously. Its fairly simple to replace the electric arial assembly with a new one. Just remove the top retaining nut and 2 lower bush nuts and earthing cable screw. Disconnect the arial from the back of the raidion and you can slip the whole thing out. The downside is that a new one cost me £125 inc VAT from Mitsi last year.
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

could have looked here mark Wink http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24172
thanks for the text mate,they're so wierd they're funny Laughing Laughing Laughing
markppearson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Now you tell me.
johndps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post where prob is mast alone.
Mine was broken inside the aerial housing.
Means taking off wheel, remove wheel liner, remove aerial, dismantle aerial, remove broken mast pieces, refit aerial, then do the above with new mast.
Fiddly, but straightforward.
pmallinson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 0:22    Post subject: Its so Easy !! Reply with quote

Well I agree that the mast change is easy have done thin in no time

BUT how the F*** do you get the inner wheel arch out ? what is 'supposed' to be in the clips to allow thier turning hence removal ???

Is it supposed to be Phillips, Posi Drive, Hex or what ?? ( Obviously mine are chewed somewhat) Also who sells new ones and how much are they ?

my new mast goes up and down a treat but stops about 4" short of full retraction so I guess thats the broken off bit still in the aerial moror end !
cavecommander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think some of them are the type u insert into the hole and push a pin in to expand the back and stop em coming out..

a dream to fit and impossible to get out cos u cant get at the back to push the pin in reverse.. if they are this type u just have to lever em out..

i am just thinking about taking mine off so i dont know for sure.. thow it might be possible useing something like a pop rivet stem to push the pin right thru and get em out easier..

some are what look like metal phillips screws with a bolt type head on em..

trog
johndps

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

trog100 wrote:
i think some of them are the type u insert into the hole and push a pin in to expand the back and stop em coming out..

a dream to fit and impossible to get out cos u cant get at the back to push the pin in reverse.. if they are this type u just have to lever em out..

Pin pop studs,for want of a better name - when pin is flush in place with the stud, push the pin in further to release pressure, then lever it out.
cavecommander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

"when pin is flush in place with the stud, push the pin in further to release pressure, then lever it out"

yep thats right.. my memory seems to have two recollections of em.. a pain at first when u dont know how.. and quite easy but lose the pin cos it drops out the back when u do know how.. he he

u definitley need some spare fixers before attempting the job..

trog
johndps

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndps wrote:
trog100 wrote:

Pin pop studs,for want of a better name - when pin is flush in place with the stud, push the pin in further to release pressure, then lever it out.

Sorry for misleading - I'm wrong - did another one yesterday.
The pop in studs actually have crosshead screws in the centre.
WD40 the areas, leave for a few mins, unscrew with a LARGE crosshead screwdriver. Then lever the base out. These clips are plastic and would be easy to chew up. Screwing in any crosshead b4 screwing out can help. Kinda jiggle it. Smile
Steel crosshead screws to the flared arches along with 10mm bolthead steel screws.
Then a couple of nuts to remove the aerial - along with unscrewing the top collar..
Aerial should be removable apart from aerial wire and power wire loom.
If you dismantle the aerial itself to dig about inside, thinners gets the black stuff back off your hans. Keep a rag handy for the grease on your fingers.
Messy but worth it.
davidg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 14:33    Post subject: aerial Reply with quote

good instructions on fitting a new aerial. thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: