eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

automatic gear changes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonothetigger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:39    Post subject: automatic gear changes Reply with quote

i have had the paj off the road for quite awhile and just got it back on there yeeeppppiiieeee

i have took the engine out and redone all the oilseals and head and now the engine is running sweet i have a bit of problem with the gear changes on there now

not sure if i have the trubo link bar set wrong and getting too much boost at low revs pick up and go is great !

but it seems to hold for ages to change gear !

and then when driving at 70 and just put your foot down a touch and she'll drop the overdrive and change down a gear ! and rev like hell !

is there anyway of changing the gear changing have i put a vac pipe back in the wrong place or some thing ?

many thanks quick reply need as going to dawlish on sat for a week if anyone wants to meet up then pm me and we'll meet up for a chat !
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:39    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

johnkyte

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as though the kickdown cable is too tight --slacken it a little
jonothetigger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cool ty will have a look torrow but it was ok before taking the engine out and did not play with the gearbox thats what i cant work out why its changed !
wagner

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonothetigger wrote:
ok cool ty will have a look torrow but it was ok before taking the engine out and did not play with the gearbox thats what i cant work out why its changed !

Because when you take off the engine, you MUST disconnect accelerator and AT (kick-down) cables from throttle body. Then, when you put everything back, you have to adjust the AT (kick-down) cable.

If you are interested - i can send you an oficial MMC Service Manual for throttle cables adjustments.

It is very simple to do these adjustments. When i did mine - it took about 30 minutes.
wagner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it is:
paulfaw
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great site. I've been wanting that info for ages.

Paul
jonothetigger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that hope fully they will put that on a sticky good info !

i sorted mine this morning it was the outer part of the cable had come out of the metal end cap so made the cable about 2mm shorter !!

took it out of holder and crimped the metal end back on and drives lovely now !!!
wagner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonothetigger wrote:
......and drives lovely now !!!

That's what i told you, buddy Wink !
andyblackstock
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:51    Post subject: kickdown adjustment Reply with quote

hi, maybe i'm just not doing this right but my 2.5 was kicking down very early and i could not use cruise control at all as the gears kept changing and over revving the engine! slacked off the kickdown cable a lot and it seemed ok. after reading through all of this post i used wagners diagram to readjust. same thig happened anyone got any ideas?
wagner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:41    Post subject: Re: kickdown adjustment Reply with quote

andyblackstock wrote:
.....wagners diagram to readjust. ....

not mine, but MMC's Wink
Cass IoW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive now adjusted my 2.8TD 1994 Auto box cable as per the diagram but is there any value for the measurement at idle?. The only way I could achieve the 34mm was to extend the lever using the slide adjustment. Its better but still changes up and down eratically. especially on any increse in throttle or incline, She even seems to drop down a gear going down hill. Ive driven petrol auto cars and vans in the US but I dont recall them acting like this. Do you think I could have a problem with the speedo conversion and ECU causing it. The speedo has the original bezel with a MPH sicker over the Kph. What should I be looking for?
Cass IoW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot to add. There seems to be a bit of slop in the linkage between the throttle and kickdown cable arm. Also I believe mine  is a 4M40 HITF engine and a V4AW3 4900 gearbox. Is there a Electronic engine management system on this one and what about a throttle possition sensor as earlier post ?
wagner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cass IoW wrote:
......2.8TD 1994 .....Is there a Electronic engine management system on this one and what about a throttle possition sensor as earlier post ?

NO.

TPS is mainly used  to send signals to AT control unit
andyblackstock
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:03    Post subject: kickdown Reply with quote

sorry max, i am aware that your post was from mitsu, however i have run the paj with the cable really slack and it is behaving itself it still kicks down if needed but no erratic gearchanges now. i still wonder why if i adjust to mmc's specs i get this problem and will the gearbox be damaged with these adjustments. gonna go to local mitsu dealer to see if they have any further info
wagner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:20    Post subject: Re: kickdown Reply with quote

andyblackstock wrote:
sorry max, i am aware that your post was from mitsu, however i have run the paj with the cable really slack and it is behaving itself it still kicks down if needed but no erratic gearchanges now. i still wonder why if i adjust to mmc's specs i get this problem and will the gearbox be damaged with these adjustments. gonna go to local mitsu dealer to see if they have any further info

Hi there!

Sorry, but i can't understand what is the meaning of "....but no erratic gearchanges now..."  Embarassed  (language misuderstanding  Embarassed )
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: