QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Rear Brake Disc Replacement ! How Easy ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GAZZ1ZZ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 18:59    Post subject: Rear Brake Disc Replacement ! How Easy ? Reply with quote

Hi Guys
I am ashamed to say today after 8 months of Paj ownership i have just got around to checking my rear brakes, Mot is due shortly and i new i had rear brake probs, rattling/clicking etc, so today i gave them a good inspection, the rear discs are in a right state, the disc surface is very poor indeed, very heavily worn and a 1cm rust ring around the outside of the disc, feeling the disc its very heavily indented.
Ok so im going to order new discs and pads, i just need to know how easy/hard the rears are to replace, I did read the post on how to change front discs with pics and i know i am capable of doing the job, could just do with a few pointers on what the job entails, removal of disc mainly.

Any pointers much appreciated.

Regards Gaz.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 18:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Anthony Smith

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 20:33    Post subject: Re: Rear Brake Disc Replacement ! How Easy ? Reply with quote

GAZZ1ZZ, remove the brake caliper, 14mm socket, I think, remove the pad/caliper carrier, 17mm, I think and the drum/disc should come off, you MAY have to slacken the hand brake off a little. I think that is pretty much it...........anyone else got anything to add? Embarassed
Captain England
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gaz
If you can do the fronts, you'll have no trouble with the rears. Much easier.
Only complication on rears is the shoes etc within drums...Take digital photo of set up.......just in case you disturb the shoes/springs/W.H.Y....You shouldn't need to disturb them...but better safe than sorry Embarassed
GAZZ1ZZ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, ive never done the fronts just looking at the pics i know im capable, but by what you say it sounds straight forward.

Is the disc physicaly held on by grub screws or such like ?

Many Thanks Indeed Wink

Regards Gaz.
redders
Events rep (South East)
Events rep (South East)

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are only held in place by the roadwheel and caliper. Wink
GAZZ1ZZ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey Shocked

Cheers Redders
redders
Events rep (South East)
Events rep (South East)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTH Exclamation Wink
vmaxsnoopy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, they can be a tight fit on the flange. There are two threaded holes in the face of the disc centre ( i think M.6 or M.8) Use two bolts to force the disc of of the flange if need be.
cavecommander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

its normal for drums to be held in place just by the wheel studs/bolts.. old fashioned drum brakes used to have two small phillips screws to locate em which used to be a pain to get out but the hold in place with the wheel studs is the time honoured method.. drum in disks seem to use the same method..

my rears are a bit iffy looking and could do with replacing.. they still passed a recent mot thow so must be working okay..

trog
dano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:39    Post subject: easy Reply with quote

I did mine last week. it was pretty easy.

disks £50 each, pads £25 from motorserv in Milton Keynes (01908 220995).

You might have to adjust the hand brake shoes.
to do this there is a small hole in the bottom of the back plate. put a screwdriver in the hole and turn the adjuster wheel. there is a small arrow printed in the back plate indicating which way to adjust them up. turn the adjuster untill the hub starts to lock and then back the adjuster off untill the hub turns with a small amount of resistance.
It is much easier to do before you refit the caliper as the pads will also cause risistance.

did the job in about 2 hours.
Schrodinger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done my rear disks but they cost £86 +VAT each as my Paj has the rare as hens teeth caliper with integral hand brake. As the others have said all that holds them on is the road wheel and the caliper. On mine I had some difficulty winding back in the piston but I think that is down to the combined hb/caliper.
br00n1e

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

vmaxsnoopy wrote:
But, they can be a tight fit on the flange. There are two threaded holes in the face of the disc centre ( i think M.6 or M.8) Use two bolts to force the disc of of the flange if need be.

m 8 bolts do it Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: