eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Colway Tyres ... Again!!!!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
creekmoorchris
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 21:56    Post subject: Colway Tyres ... Again!!!!! Reply with quote

Has anyone towed with Colway tyres? I need to replace the tyres on my Paj and they are 30 x 9.50 R 15. Use them about 60:40 with the 60% on road. But we do do a good number of miles and we tow a reasonable weighted (1850kgs) caravan. I know that I should not skimp on brakes and tyres, but I just cannot afford £100 a tyre for BFGs. Ideas please.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 21:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

PG Scooby
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra
Location: Eastbourne, 'Suntrap of the South' & final resting place for the many!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a personal thing, but I don't go for remoulds - it goes back to years ago when the quality was more than a bit suspect in some cases. I appreciate the quality is not an issue now - I'm not for one second suggesting that - and a lot of members swear by them. See here:

http://www.colwaytyres.co.uk/

I recently changed all four and went for the Runway Enduro A/T's, I found them at £60 each fitted and balanced.
creekmoorchris
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, and yes I can remember horror stories about remoulds as well. But ... approved by Saab, fitted to Porches and lots of people here seem to like them .... but! I have managed to find Marshal ATs for £50.55 plus VAT so may give them a try.
jiffy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 21:16    Post subject: colway tyres Reply with quote

i have used colways for three years now and can say they are great grip well wet or dry i olso tow a caravan and have been right down contrey and back a number oftimes with no probs at all
hazeldene

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would always recommend going for the best tyre you can afford after all thats what your relying on in an emergency stop!

I got Brigestone 694's for £85 each fitted at my local discount place
wrc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience with re moulds you just end up replacing them sooner and having to shell out more money again anyway.

I remember one set i bought, and literally chunks started coming off the tread.

I use FALKEN LandAir A/T's that I get for £41 each. Its all ive ever used on my paj's, cheap, good make, nice tread pattern, last ages.

Ross.
cavecommander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I get for £41 each"

hmmm... i think i paid about  65 quid for my landairs.. u are paying less for yours than most folk would pay for remolds.. unless u can get them (remolds) for about 25 quid it must be an easy choice for u.. he he he

trog

ps.. its a mistake to think cheap tyres wont last as long as well.. sometimes they will but just just not grip the road all that well.. a tyre plays a compromise tween grip and long life.. a softer rubber compound grips better but dont last as long.. a harder compound lasts for ages but dont grip so well.. u cant have it both ways no matter how much the tyre costs..

the fancy sales hype might claim otherwise but dont believe it..
wemfish

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember from my motorbike days,
A decent make tyre £60, lasts 1600 miles excellent grip in all conditions.
Cheap tyre’s lasts 3000 miles but useless in the wet, I bought one once of Chinese make, it was so bad I only had it on a few days. . Lethal in the wet!!

On cars in the past I have used remoulds but after a few problems I don’t use them anymore. I have Avon Rangemasters’s on the front and Wranglers on the back at the moment, about £55 a piece. .
cornishman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't the delaminated carcases you see on the roads, the result of remoulded lorry tyres giving way.
Need I say more!
wrc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, £41 is discounted as i used to work in the trade so still obtain some discounts. Im sure they are only around £50 retail though if you search around.
more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

just remember guys,when buying tyres they have to be speed rated for the vehicle,and even a diesel will top 100 mph(insurance companies are funny *beep* Rolling Eyes )
oh,and i'ld rather walk than fit remoulds
spud
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 14:06    Post subject: Re: Colway Tyres ... Again!!!!! Reply with quote

creekmoorchris wrote:
Has anyone towed with Colway tyres?  

Best to use a towbar for towing....... Wink

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Rodger
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

From experience with Colway, I can say that I had them fitted to my previous 4x4 (Toyota Land Cruiser)  - they were the extreme 'off road' version, a copy of the bfg's - and they lasted approx 20K miles in my ownership, and now they are still running on the same vehicle for my son-in-law.  

I used the Land Cruiser for my occupation as a Marine Electrics engineer and the tyres were necessary for a whole bunch of sand, pebble and shingle surfaces. They never gave me any problem and even today are still well within legal limits.

The only limitation was a suggestion by the tyre fitters that I shouldn't take them in excess of 80mph.  - not a problem with the toyota - it probably wouldn't go that quick , dunno, I never went that fast !!!
Orffyreus

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just purchased four Falken Landair A/T  tyres for £235.00 (£58.75 each) fitted, new valves and balanced from D+D Tyres at Bentley, Doncaster. Smile

Noticable improvement in grip but then my old tyres were like racing slicks  Shocked
javan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love bfg yes there alot of cash but they where on the truck when i got it and ive done 35'000miles not km on them and they where fairly warn when i got it its up to you but 400 quid every 4 years or more its not bad

pluss no worrys about remoulds i know there good today but there never as good as new

if you ask me put the colways on and save up for bfg's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: