Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Wheel Bearing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puddin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 18:07    Post subject: Wheel Bearing Reply with quote

Hi ya!

Can anyone tell me how much I should be paying to have a wheel bearing changed please?

I've got one of those funny bearing "whirring" type noises, and THINK its a wheel bearing............ lets hope its not the gear box!!!

Cheers
Lisa
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 18:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Annie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any time I've heard a wheel bearing going, it's been more of a 'clunking' noise - it's something that's pretty easy for a mechanic to check out though, won't cost much at all for that.

Hope it's nothing too serious Sad
bill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if it is the wheel bearing be prepared to pay about £20 - £30 for the part and one needs to get a new rubber seal, £3.
from milners.
You need to get it pressed off and on.
If you are doing it yourself top ball joint nut and split pin.
then the track rod end joint
then the bottom. I found that it is best to take out the 4 nuts and bolts from the wishbone. my bottom wouldnt budge.
and not 4getting the brake caliper.
undo the 5/6 bolts that hold the drive shaft in situ and the 2 wee grub screws that are holding the lock washer in. The hub assembly should now come oot.
A MUST NOTE
Make sure that they are tightened to the torque in the book, failure will result in the bearing moving a wee bitty letting the water ect in and destroying the whole new set up.
How do I know all this? I have just had to redo mine as me favourite mechanic failed to do just that and yes the bearing failed after only 4 weeks
any probs give me a shout.
bill
Hagar UK

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a quick thought....
are you sure its your wheel bearings m8, cos i had the same thing, took it to a garage and this guy said it sounded like my bearings and wanted £300 to supply and fit....
anyway, i got my bearings from Milners for £50 for a pair, paid a good friend £75 to fit and in the end, all i really needed was 2 front tyres Crying or Very sad
so if i was you m8, i would perhaps take a peekie at your front tyres and see if they need replacing 1st Wink
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Puddin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Paj with 5 new tyres Very Happy

Its definately a whirring noise, thats almost difficult to hear. When I'm slowing down (e.g not on gas or brake) and its a very soft regular whirring noise.
I am actually concerned about it being the gearbox. The dealer has told me to drop it off at 9am tomorrow and they'll have a look.

I guess this is the time I find out what the dealer is REALLY like!

Keep ya fingers crossed for me Confused

Lisa
Hagar UK

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hope they look after you Lisa, let us know the outcome yeah Laughing
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve H

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheel bearings might need nipping up a bit. The transformation when they are to the correct torque is amazing in steering and quiteness.

5 minute job for a mechanic with the right tools plus 5 mins to take the wheel off and put it on again!!

Steve H
Puddin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mechanic says that I'm getting a lot of tyre noise as I have 4 new tyres on my Paj.

They were good in that they said I have highlighted a potential problem to them, and if it gets worse they will get it sorted.

I'm left feeling a bit silly because it seems I am the only person that can hear the noise!!!!!

Can new tyres make the same sound as a whirring bearing noise????

I'm suitably Embarassed

Lisa
bill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, YES, the bigger the nobbly bits the louder the noise.

Bit like me really, the bigger the buttons, the noisyer I am, OH I WISH I WAS YOUNGER.
lol
no, tyres do make a noise.
Have a check when changing road surface or if the road is quiet try driving on the white line with window open.
That would give you changing noises and poss put your mind at reat.
No need to feel embarased.

Bill
xxxx
mark dale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, big knobs make a loud noise !!

my off-road tyres make a whirring typa noise, especially noticeable at the front -end, i too thought i may have knacked something 1st time i put them on, after buying them 2nd hand off a chap on the motorway junction!, then going to briarcliffe quarry for an event, now i'm back on the road tryres, my mota is as quiet as a pussy !!

hope this helps
geo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puddin wrote:
The mechanic says that I'm getting a lot of tyre noise as I have 4 new tyres on my Paj.

They were good in that they said I have highlighted a potential problem to them, and if it gets worse they will get it sorted.

I'm left feeling a bit silly because it seems I am the only person that can hear the noise!!!!!

Can new tyres make the same sound as a whirring bearing noise????

I'm suitably Embarassed

Lisa

Dont worry, I hear noises that the other half cant hear, and she hears the ones I cant... it 's just the joys of new to you cars, and remember this is not an ordinary saloon, it's a 4x4 with long and complicated drive lines, it will make all sorts of strange to you noises.

Cheers
Geo.
geo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have been a sixties lad Bill... cause there sure is a whole lota lov'in go'in on here Razz Razz Razz

Cheers
Geo.
Puddin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill is just a big tart!!!! (just kidding Bill!!)

I have to say that my wheels DO make a whirring noise BUT the noise I'm concerned about it more of a knocking noise, a very gentle, soft knocking noise as I'm slowing down with no gas or brake Shocked

The more I talk about it, the more concerned I get that its gearbox!! But I AM a typical flapping woman too Very Happy
bill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the compliment. he he he he
why dont you meet up with another club member and let him hear the noise and you have a go in his car?
If you want to come down here I could meet you and we could share noises in tesco car park. he he he
you are now my favourite babe.

blondie'sh
Puddin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been down that way in years, I lived in Hampshire for 15 years before moving to London.

I use to night club in Bournemouth in my younger days LOL Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: