Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Tyres

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Apache
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 13:46    Post subject: Tyres Reply with quote

Tyre Manufacturer: Avon
Tyre Name: Ranger 70
Tyre Type: A/T
Size: 265/70/15
Cost: £320 for 4 tyres fitted and balanced
Supplied by: Knighton Tyre Services (local independant fitter)
Miles recorded since fitting: Approx 2000

Comments:

A very good all round tyre, even though the tread pattern at first glance, looks more like a road biased tread.
These tyres give excellent road holding in the dry and wet, i have not yet experienced any nasty aqua-planing whilst driving on very wet roads, i can confidently drive through a puddle knowing that the car isn't going to veer off through a hedge. There is virtually no road noise produced by the tyres, and the ride is very smooth.
The tyres have also proved very competent on rough tracks, over rocks, wet grass, wet dirt, even climbing a long steep wet dirt hill with very little wheelspin, and so far no problems with a bit of mud, i have yet to try them in deep sticky mud.

Overall, i am very pleased with these tyres, and hope to get a good few thousand miles out of them.

Ratings out of 10
Value for money: 8
Performance on road (dry): 9
Performance on road (wet): 9
Performance off road (dry): 8
Performance off road (wet): 7
Would i buy them again?: Yes
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 13:46    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

paji-shieldy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avon Ranger AT
size - 265/75
15in rims

Cost - £104 each total £416 for 4 including valve balancing and also disposal of old tyres
Supplier - National Tyres Blyth Branch
Miles Covered - Less than 1000
OffRoading - 3 times, filey, ridsdale, weardale farm

Ratings out of 10
Value for money: 9
Performance on road (dry): 10
Performance on road (wet): 7
Performance off road (wet): 6
Would i buy them again?: Maybe
Total 40/50

Cooper ST
size  - 265/70
16in rims
Cost - £674-06 (wheel deal rims and tyres, balancing, valves, bolts, lock nuts and delivery)
Cost Break down - 16 in alloy £60.61p each £242.44p for 4
Tyres = £72.38 each total for 4 = £289.52
Supplier - Formula4x4 ( www.formula4x4.com )
Miles Covered - bout 200
OffRoading - Weardale Quarry

Ratings out of 10
Value for money: 10
Performance on road (dry): 10
Performance on road (wet): 10
Performance off road (dry): 10
Performance off road (wet): 10
Would i buy them again?: Yes
Total 50/50

for an extra £250 id of bought the Cooper STT's these are the bees knees but alas the budget wouldnt stretch to it..

Avons were great as a starter set for me as i was new to the offroad scene, i maybe rated them a tad harsh in all honesty avons are the only tyre i trust on a motorbike..... whilst searching for tyres i basically stumbled across the Coopers, tried them at weardale quarry and was impressed didnt get stuck once, maybe coz i didnt go where MJrace and Mad geordies went but if i had im well certian id of got stuck big time

at the end of the day, you choose the Tyre for the Job you want it to do

i hope at the end of the day this bit of info was usefull to your decision making:P

regards
phill
ahalton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:20    Post subject: Tyres Reply with quote

4 quick tyre reviews to help Phils cause here  Wink

Had the car less than 4 years and under 50,000 miles and heres the tyre reviews.

Came with 4 Bridgestone Duellers A/T 265/70R15, used mostly on road and gave loads of grip in the wet and dry, used to go into muddy fields on the farms and never got stuck.  Not a very aggressive tread pattern compared to most A/T, so I would think biased 75% to road used.

2nd set of 4, Bridgestone Duellers H/T 265/70R15D689, cost£78 a corner,  even queiter on the motorway with less vibration.  Still got in and out of the fields ok but I don't think they would cope with too much mud.  Really good sidewalls on both Bridgestones, so you can go round corners, which brings me onto the next set -

Maxxis 750, 265/70R15, cost £58 each, again, brilliant grip, probably because they are soft rubber.  Very soft sidewalls though, so they always looked flat and didn't inspire confidence going round corners.  Good budget tyre, better option by far than a remould.

Lastly the 4 BFG's, 31x10.5R15, cost £92 each, best compromise to offroad and on road use, because of the tread pattern motoryway noise is ok, low speed when crawling in traffic you can feel every nobble on the tyre, so you have to drive faster.  Good grip in the wet and dry and predictable handling from the underpowered 3.5 engine.

Just as a number 5 if anybody needs a total offroad tyre, cheap, go to Broncho 4X4 and get their Grizzly Claw remoulds, purely offroad but you won't beat the bang per bucks you get with them.

If you asked which I would go for again the Bridgestone H/T for road and the Bfg's for A/t, looked at many others and read the reviews and don't see anything else that comes close to matching either of them for the price.

Andrew
mark dale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre Manufacturer: BF Goodrich
Tyre Name: All Terrain and Mud Terrain
Tyre Type: A/T and M/T
Size: 31/10.5/15
Cost: £230 for 2 tyres fitted and balanced
Supplied by: David Stubbs - local independant mechanic, and Rally Driver Laughing
Miles recorded since fitting: Approx 6000 - A/T's  approx 60,000 M/T's

Comments:

Quite simply, the best tyres I have used. We have had a set of M/T's on 2 different landies - swapped the wheels when we changed 1st one ! - They do hard work, on a farm, and towing heavy loads on all sorts of long and short journeys, as well as family caravan holidays ...  after approx 60,000 miles, they still have some life left, and will still pull a laden 110 round a muddy field !!
I have M/T's on my paj now, on the rear, and i'm very happy with them; great off-road, on mud, snow and rocks; ok on road, but don't drive like a loony into corners ....

The rear M/T's replaced a pair of BFG A/T's which i managed to slice whilst off-road; i put these on at same time as a pair of colway a/t's to do a comparison .... after approx 1 year, the BFG's had hardly worn, whereas the Colways were showing signs of perishing. A/T's did ok off-road, and would be fine for most people, as a 50%/50% tyre; however after using mud terrains off-road, you don't really want to go back to a/t's  

BFG A/T's
Ratings out of 10
Value for money: 8
Performance on road (dry): 9
Performance on road (wet): 9
Performance off road (wet): 6 (compared to M/T's in extreme use!)
Would i buy them again?: Yes for road use/normal off-road

BFG M/T's
Ratings out of 10
Value for money: 9
Performance on road (dry): 8
Performance on road (wet): 7
Performance off road (dry): 9
Performance off road (wet): 9
Would i buy them again?: Yes definately

my advice  ..don't skimp on tyres, it's the only contact you have with the road ....

mark " buying shares in BFG" dale
mistabushi
Events rep (South Wales)
Events rep (South Wales)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyre manufecturer---runway
tyre mane---enduro all terrain
size 31x10:50x15
cost £276 set of four
supplied by local garage

comments: these are a hard wearing tyre i have had them on the pajero now for two years and there is still plenty of tread on them (8mm) as an offroad tyre they are brilliant i feel they are as good as the bfg a/t tyre they give plenty of grip and self clean easily, on the road in the dry they again are a good tyre with plenty of traction coming from the chunky tread
unfortunatly it is on the wet road that i find they let them selves down thay can be very skittish by that i mean they can slide around a bit if you put your foot down to heavy.
but all in all not a bad tyre with great value for money.

rating out of ten

value for money:9.5
performance on road(dry) 10
performance on road(wet)7
performance offroad(dry)10
performanceoffroad(wet)9
would i buy them again?: yes no worries.
helen455636
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres:  General Grabber AT2 x 4
Size: 265/70/16
Price: £84.15 (delivery included)
Supplier:  www.4x4tyres.com (fast & efficient)

Only had these fitted for a week now but have been to Portsmouth/Southampton round trip 400km and on the road they are excellent.  Very quiet on all road surfaces and stick like glue when cornering!  Very chunky tread pattern similar to BFG's, check them out on the supplier's site.
I've yet to know there offroad capability but don't anticipate any difficulties.  Compared to the spare I had (D689) it was like a slick on normal dry roads and wouldn't get me out of a puddle offroad   Laughing  

Seriously, these are worth considering, not cheap but if they wear as good as the BFGs I'll be happy ......  guess I'll have to let you know in 30,000 miles or so.
offroaddriver

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres - BF Goodrich AT
Size - 33/12.5/R15
Price - Set of 5 for 580 quid

Had these puppies put on about a month ago a have been awsome tyres.
upgraded from 31/10.5/15 to these.
the gearing has changed slightly giving it a higher top speed of about +8mph.

alot of money for a set of tyres but as already said above, they last a very long time and are simply awsome!
eskimo

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres:  Khumo Road Venture M/T
Size: 31x10.50x15
Price: £320 inc fitting, vat and tracking
Supplier: Local Tyre place in Malvern (can't remeber the name  Embarassed )

Wicked tyres, even though they are an MT there isn't too much road noise, but there is more than the old Falken AT's I had on there before which were total rubbish!!!

I've had them on the Paj now for about 18 months and there is still approx 15mm of tread left, I have never been stuck with these tyres when offroading, and I went places even Lawn Rovers with BFG wouldn't go!!

They have no problems in the wet, and I have tried to get them to slide on many occasions and have failed  Laughing  Laughing . Excelent grip in the dry and again they have never let me down.

rating out of ten

value for money:10
performance on road(dry) 10
performance on road(wet)8
performance offroad(dry)10
performanceoffroad(wet)10
would i buy them again?: For sure - looking to see if they do a bigger size for next time though  Wink  8)
ROB.E
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I`v just had two Yokohama Geolanders (265/70/15/H) @£75 each.
awsome looking A/T tyre.
Will fit and valves and balance for this price. Will fit 4 tyres for less than £300.
       JOHN PEARCE TYRES, BRUTON, SOMERSET. Tel. 01749 812182
 notworthy  `Cheers John`.
ukrabbiter

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyre: Runway Enduro AT
size: 31/10.50/15
cost: £82 each fitted (although they can be found for £50 each unfitted)
supplied by: local tyre garage

comments: a hard wearing tyre. I had them on my mk1, then transferred them to my mk2, they are still like new, and have coped well on lanes and in quarries, and easily self-clean themselves
they grip very well on wet tarmac (much better than the mud & snow I had on before) and I don't handle the local country lanes with kid gloves.
soggy grassland can be a prob, as they soon become slicks if you let the tyres spin, but once moving they soon clean themselves again (I must point out that I purposely span the wheels on the soggy grass, cos doughnuts are fun)  Wink

ratings out of ten

value for money:10
performance on road (dry) 10
performance on road (wet) 10
performance offroad (dry) 10
performance offroad (wet) 10
would I buy them again?: definitely
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
markppearson

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brand:  Goodyear Wrangler x2 (rear)
Size: 265/70/15 ATs
Price:£70each incl delivery
Verdict: Excellent

Got these from Bronco 4x4 in the sale clearout. Lovely tyre, with a good chunky tread pattern. Give a nice tone of road noise, not excessive in the slightest. I have yet to try them in the mud.

Brand: Avon Ranger x2 (front)
Price £80 each
Verdict: Very good

Fitted at local tyre centre, hence the price!! Review about the same as above, although going by the tread pattern, they look more suited to road use, although these coped very well during my last visit to Devils Pit.
oggie1
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got me some,
Federal MS 351 A/T's
31x10 50r15
for £211.50.(one on each corner by the way)
Supplied by Hooton 4x4 great service after me messing him about a little bit(young Jacob must have been sick of hearing my voice)

I had them fitted at a local tyre fitters for £30.00.
My truck now hums along happily and I've got a bigger grin Very Happy

Chris Wink
saltyman

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

insa turbo special track

used these for a couple of months now, and they still astound me with there grip.

i have the larger 265/75/16 fitment on my pajero, and they stand at a tad under 33'' tall with the huge, deep aggressive tread pattern.

these are probably the best road legal mud tyre you can get. they are good in all the terrains you come across off road, and they perform really well on the road.

i leave mine on full time, and the road noise isnt as bad as you'd think. grip in the rain, and roundabouts is awesome. no tread movement etc, and the hard compound means they wear very well indeed.

they perform really well in bogs, and deep mud:

they climb soft hills:

rocky inclines and banks:

and they they self clean really well:
markppearson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

markppearson wrote:
Brand:  Goodyear Wrangler x2 (rear)
Price:£70each incl delivery
Verdict: Excellent

Got these from Bronco 4x4 in the sale clearout. Lovely tyre, with a good chunky tread pattern. Give a nice tone of road noise, not excessive in the slightest. I have yet to try them in the mud.

Brand: Avon Ranger x2 (front)
Price £80 each
Verdict: Very good

Fitted at local tyre centre, hence the price!! Review about the same as above, although going by the tread pattern, they look more suited to road use, although these coped very well during my last visit to Devils Pit.

Changed em, finally got me some BFGs!

Moved the Goodyears to the front now, still loads of life left in em, and coped very well in the mucky stuff!

Since then, purchased two BFGs 31x10.50x15 AT's from Formula4, which ar enow on the rear.Look the business,and much better than the Goodyears. Cant wait to replace the Goodyears now aswell.

Something about the BFGs, that just make the truck look how its meant to be.
Gerrant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used BlackCircles.com based on comments on this thread. That was the 1st time I have ever got tyres online and it was a plesent surprise how easy its was - all in no hassle.

4x Falken Land Air All Terrain 265/70 R15 S (110) @ £71.03 each

Used Central Tyres @ Wellingborough, Midland Road Senwick Road - I already knew them as they used to fit my Tyes on the Volvo, so they were very good as normal.

Fitted to a 2.5TD Paj LWB. I can't comment on the tyres yet as they only just went on. It does feel a heck of a lot better, but the one that came off were as bought with the car and were shot at the front. One of the rear ones gained a puncture near the sidewall so I had to do all four. To be honest I am glad I did as it looks a lot better. I have what i assume is an orginal Yokohama on the back as a spare - its in a box so its still absolutly sound.

KM is at 164500 - lets see how far they go shall we Smile

Given the problems I have had (see other posts) it was a nice'n'easy bit of work.
Now all I have to is get the pads & disks replaced as they are a bit worn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: