eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

all owners who have suffered engine, head or gasket failure

Goto page : 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonic-1

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 17:47    Post subject: all owners who have suffered engine, head or gasket failure Reply with quote

so what milage did your head or head gasket fail at ?????
mines gone at 124,000 miles its been serviced regular
so post up with the details
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 17:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

aston

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine went at about 90,000
mistabushi
Events rep (South Wales)
Events rep (South Wales)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

at about 68,000 miles Crying or Very sad  changed oil as regular as clockwork every 3000kilometers Exclamation  Exclamation
geoffro

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep mine went at around 80,000 miles and the head is well knackered.  2 cracks in it one by the valve and one by the swirl chamber, not a happy chappy and as soon as i have banged a new head on, it's going.  so no more off roading for me, well i only did it the once any way  Laughing
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought,but do you think that head gaskets going at relativley low mileage on pajs as something to do with the trucks ticking over in heavy traffic in japan,or them being clocked before they are sold on in this country.i know sonics is a shogun,but it as covered 120,000 miles,wich is still not a lot of mileage when you think about it,but geoffro at 80,000 miles and mitsabushi at 68,000 miles most diesels are just bedding in on this kind of mileage seems very strange for such a well engineered vehicle.this is what bought about the thought of them being clocked.i myself bought a 1 owner full mitsi serviced shogun and it came with all m.o.t.s plus i could also check with the garage that the services where correct so i could be a sure as you can be with a second hand mota,that the mileage was correct.its a 94 lwb shogun that had 80,000 miles on the clock when i bought it almost 4 years ago and now has 129,000 miles on the clock and ive serviced it my self since owning it,apart from first service,cost £380.000 at mitsi dealer,so i soon learnt to do my own servicing.my truck starts first turn of the key and runs almost like a new mota.so have i just been lucky or as i believe all these trucks should be like this unless the standing around in heavy traffic and ticking over for hours on end some how effects the engines,or theyve done much higher mileage and been clocked before entering this country.
rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

134000 - & I am assuming you are talking  2.8's - head failure all swirl chambers have cracks
wrc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

icehawk wrote:
or theyve done much higher mileage and been clocked before entering this country.

You hit the nail on the head mate. Its not just paj's.

Why do you think alot of the paj's advertised wherever usually have 'very low mileage' 'only 40-50k'  -   obviously there are genuine cases, but most of the time, add 100k onto that and you are about right Wink

You look at shoguns of a similar age and they have usually all done over 100k and still going strong.

My shoggy is on 108k and runs like new, ive seen 50k paj's in worse condition - interior hanging, major wear on the steering wheel etc.

And i think this is a big factor in head failures on these cars - the milometre is the last thing you should look at for telling the mileage of the car - people get them, think the things only done 50k and drive it like its a brand new car, but they arent.
timbershifter

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

102,000k Head cracked. Put it down to waterpump failure a couple of weeks beforehand. Still in the process of repairing. If you know anything about setting valve clearances please have a look at my thread "Urgent diagnosis please"
Cheers. Paul
ian horrod

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 23:17    Post subject: Head gasket Reply with quote

Mine went at 110,000 taking the head with it. Always serviced prior to it going, oil filter, oil, fuel filter changed every 4-5000 miles.

IONOD55555
Pajero Man Dan

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine is a Logistics contractor for Merc he collects imported mercs at the docks and delivers, he once told me he watched them unloading a container ship fll of jap imports, promtly opening containers, cranking them up and running them 1/4 mile to the holdding pen, now he has been in the game long enough to know NO shipping company will carry vehicles in containers with oil and fuel in! so thats 1/4 mile without oil!!!!!! doesn't do em any good either, that was the cause of my cam shaft snapping on my 2.5 TD import,
one to watch
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ADAM.D

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know if me 1st 2.5 had had  a new gasket anytime before i owned it, but it went again at 160'000 ish Embarassed
ahalton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 0:11    Post subject: Paj Reply with quote

Shipping companies export cars all the time with oil and fuel, its part of the deal.  Its only if they are flying the cars they have to remove all flammable liquids and remove the aircon gas  Wink

As for the clocking of Japanese imports, the Japanese as a race are quite honest and don't really clock their cars.  Its of no benefit to them, they only get the money based on the condition.  So its down to dealers over here whether they clock cars, a Bitma cert will tell you what the mileage was when it went through the auction in Japan.

In Japan the cars never get out of first gear and spend all the time in traffic.  Incredibly low mileage cars are not that uncommon.  If you look for auctions sites in Japan and have a look at the genuine mileages you will be suprised.  Loads of 20 year old LandCruisers with 40-50,000 KMs.

Diesel engines aren't made to sit in traffic, they don't get warm at idle, so the humidity and moisture in the atmosphere corrodes the cylinder heads.  The gaskets basically rot away.

The imported petrols don't suffer as much because they run hot at tickover, burning off the moisture.

I would think a car thats done 124,000 miles over here, its not unreasonable to think the head gaskets gone.  I think its the luck of the draw somethimes and nothing to do with servicing.  Head gasket failures less to do with oil changes and more to do with the condition of the cooling system, the gaskets the weakest part, so any slight overheating and the gasket goes.

I think they should put hour clocks on cars as well as milometers, like they do in commercial diesels.  That way you would know how long the cars been sat in traffic and how much work the engine has done.

I bet most of your low mileage diesels will have more hours on that my 150,000+ mile petrol  Wink

Andrew
rabbit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc wrote:
icehawk wrote:
or theyve done much higher mileage and been clocked before entering this country.

Why do you think alot of the paj's advertised wherever usually have 'very low mileage' 'only 40-50k'  -   obviously there are genuine cases, but most of the time, add 100k onto that and you are about right Wink

You look at shoguns of a similar age and they have usually all done over 100k and still going strong.

My shoggy is on 108k and runs like new, ive seen 50k paj's in worse condition - interior hanging, major wear on the steering wheel etc.

And i think this is a big factor in head failures on these cars - the milometre is the last thing you should look at for telling the mileage of the car - people get them, think the things only done 50k and drive it like its a brand new car, but they arent.

Mine is a Shogun -1 owner from new (me!)  head still went at 130k
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbit wrote:
wrc wrote:
icehawk wrote:

Mine is a Shogun -1 owner from new (me!)  head still went at 130k
but had it been well serviced before you got it?and was the service history plus old mots there to prove the mileage,not unheard of clocking a mota in this country Laughing 130,000 miles is no big mileage realy,i had a pug estate td with over 200,000 on the clock and was still running well when i sold it,you would expect more from a truck that cost almost £30,000 pounds 12 years ago ,a small fortune at the time,to perform better.
cssuk

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine had bimta auction report and a jap sevice history book plus copies of the shakens with it went at just over 70k but it took the engine with it! now done 7k on its new engine just starting to loosen up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: