2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Vow2 Heaters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clanny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up mate. I'm seriously tempted to do this myself. The only thing I'd prefer to have in addition to this is some sort of way of making the starting easier in the cold (other than dual tanks and just using diesel to start).

I guess it's just something I'll have to live with for now.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:49    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

rookie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clanny
I think the small problem everyone using these systems has, is cold starting.

Having said that, the starting from cold is only a problem for a minute or two until the cold VO in the pump is purged and is replaced by VO warmed by the VOW's.

Obviously, the way to eliminate this is, as you say, by fitting a twin tank system.
The trouble with that is that you are still reliant on fossil fuels. This wont matter if your reason for doing the conversion is monetary, but some users are environmentally aware and just dont want to use fossil fuels.

I would love to say that I run on 100% VO. The truth is that this weather has got me running on about 60/40 VO/Diesel.

Still, its money in my back pocket and warmer weather means it can only get better.

By the way, for anyone running on VO. A good test of its pro's and con's is this.

Drive on a flat piece of motorway using 100% diesel and set the throttle screw on the dash to give you a constant speed of approx. 60mph. When you come to an incline in the road, note how far you get up it before the speed drops considerably and (if it happens) the box changes down.
Now repeat using VO and note the difference.

I have done this a number of times in mine, most of the times whilst towing caravans and have noted that the engine retained far more pulling power whilst running on VO.
This is not my imagination, it actually does happen.

I would love to say that the engine sounds seeeter or runs faster using VO but I honestly dont notice any serious difference. Perhaps I've been using it for so long I've forgotten what the smelly stuff runs like.

Ah well, the good old days.

Cheers
bastonjock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Rookie

thanks for posting the pics,ive done a fuel cat/vow2 combo.i based it on your slideshow but i did it a little bit differently. I glued the vow2 to the side of the battery tray and i used a rocker switch on the dash with no temp indication.

On firing the paj up i let it run and as soon as the fuel was up to temp the light on the rocker switch went out automatically as the heat cut out switch worked.

It was cold today and i ran the paj for about 8 miles,the car ran fine,however i found that i had to switch the VOW2 off manually as even with the cat heating the fuel and two glow plugs on,the high temp cut off did not kick in.

i do think that once the engine is up to running temp,the cat on its own has enough heat to keep the fuel warm.

if people want to do the vow2 mod and would preferr to do it with a little help then we could organise a club day.I can get the premises that could take 6 pajs.If anyone is interested then let me know
rookie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Baston jack

I think the vow system will be a different beast all together when the weather is warmer. As with yours, mine goes out very seldom this weather.

Glad the pics were some help and I think the workshop is a brilliant idea. Let me know if I can help in any way.
matt-sab

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am looking into these heaters,ebay yes ???
AndySam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, fleabay. There's also another version on there which doesn't appear to be glow plug based. That would be the one I would go for.
isalow

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:45    Post subject: Vow 2 Reply with quote

Just installed one on my Pajero. I run 100% bio. My reason for installing was to thin the bio before the injector pump. Works really well. Has changed the smell from something like fish and chips to steak and chips. Quicker starting and smoother running.  Very Happy
Brooklyn

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this thread for a while with great interest i decided to try  a 70/30 mix in my 2.8td_swb pajero yesterday, it ran great through the day Very Happy , but this morning it took a bit of cranking to get started, so i have decided to go for an (svo heater) from this company in cornwall southwestbiofuels.co.uk i hope to to have it by the end of next week, i will be doing a diy_fit so i will let you know how i get on.

Dave. Very Happy
LJH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone still got the pics for this?
Paulpen
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJH wrote:
anyone still got the pics for this?

Ditto !

A very interesting read and guess there were some good files once too Sad
gp01

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

has any one used one of these to heat the water to there fuel filter heater this one is over priced but was all i could find to link to
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FREE-P-P-02-Renault-Master-2-2-Engine-Coolant-Water-Heater-Vauxhall-Movano-/350586207078?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item51a090fb66#ht_3211wt_892
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: