Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

What ratio/mix are you running in your 2.8TD, even 2.5TD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waynesworld
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 18:58    Post subject: What ratio/mix are you running in your 2.8TD, even 2.5TD Reply with quote

Just wondering what you guys are running in these temps on single tank, i have just started running WVO but on a 50/50 with Diesel, wary of going further lol. I fancy trying the 95/ petrol as i believe this is the same as the 50/50 with diesel to liquifiy it

wolly Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 18:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

mick1969
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

i run 50/50 wvo/diesel in both my shogun and my mg zr 20td at the moment but in hotter weather my truck runs on 100% wvo i havnt tried that percentage in the mg yet
davembp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bro runs 90/10 petrol and puts asitone (dont know how much) to bring the kick back to the mix for the power.
waynesworld
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that good to know i am doing the norm Laughing

Dave do you mean Acetone, as in nail varnish remover?
davembp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes lol !!
nissan300

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience running this setup and if so what are good mixing ratio's for the uk. I have read a few articles that dismiss the acetone as an additive because it didn't seem to make any difference to the vehicles running or performance plus could cause damage to plastics and rubber fuel lines. I am interested in this mix though for my own vehcle so any more points of view would be great.
nissan300

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 13:42    Post subject: Just found this artical, interesting read. Reply with quote

Mixed fuels-Acetone

I have been running various mixes of WVO and unleaded gasoline (RUG/Petrol) since Feb, 2007 on a 1983 Chevy 6.2L diesel. I have started the engine with no difficulty on a 70/30 (WVO/RUG) mix down to 38F. I have found that by blending as little as 5% RUG in the summer, and as much as 30% in the winter, the engine starts and runs as if it was running on diesel fuel. I have also found that by adding unleaded gasoline my engine has more power for acceleration and hill climbing than with straight WVO. I have heard I could improve my performance, emissions and fuel economy by adding a small amount of acetone to every tank of fuel.

Acetone is a common and inexpensive solvent that is available at most hardware stores. It is most commonly used as a grease and oil remover. It is also one of the few solvents that I have found that will readily cut through animal fat, so it might be an ideal additive for those who have high animal fat content in their WVO source.

Over the years several people on vegoil-diesel stated that they add acetone to their fuel mix and claim that it improves fuel economy, reduces emissions and even cleans the rings, valves and injectors. In fact Mark of vegoil-diesel wrote <<the guys at the MOT station can't work out how my emissions are so low.>>

Neil Lawson, a Combustion Design Engineer, who works on Power Stations, claims << acetone reduces the surface tension of the fuel you mix it with, which improves atomisation and therefore ensures complete combustion, which will improve economy and power.>> He also claims that with as little as 0.1% acetone mixed with his fuel he found an << immediate improvement in smoothness and power>> but little improvement in economy, until after three tanks with acetone at 0.1% concentration. He then found he gained economy at 16.6%. Please see sources below:

If we were to go with Neil Lawson’s recommendation of adding acetone at 0.1% concentration into our fuel tank, then you can use the following chart:

Tank capacity, add acetone by volume:

10 gallon (38L), add 1.3 ounces (.04L)
15 gallon (57L), add 2 ounces (.06L)
20 gallon (76L), add 2.5 ounces (.08L)
25 gallon (95L), add 3 ounces (.09L)
30 gallon (114L), add 4 ounces (.1L)

Best regards,

Jeffrey S, Brooks
the Great Western Vehicle
http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/rightlivelihood/fuel/index.htm

Mixed fuels-Acetone, sources:

mark@...
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vegoil-diesel/message/12894
That's strange, I run a 94 Pug 405 1900 non turbo with a Bosch pump with 210,000 on the clock, have covered 50,000 in it myself. Ran a 50/50 mix to start off with it, then moved to installing a pipe in pipe heat exchanger with a glow plug in line heater, running 100% in the summer, and 95% wvo and 5% petrol in the winter. The only thing I do is add half a litre of acetone to every fill to keep the injectors clean. I've had no problems at all, and the guys at the MOT station can't work out how my emmisions are so low.

JKline6766@...
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vegoil-diesel/message/10745
Steve, I am preheating to 185 degrees. It runs ok, but in the
mountains, I notice a loss of power unless I mix some karosine with it along with a diesel injector cleaner, or a pint of acitone to 6 gal.
Then it runs like diesel fuel alone…

Message #12028
"John" <john@...>
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vegoil-diesel/message/12028
I use 5% petrol, 10% paraffin (kerosene), 85% WVO (clear at ambient
temperatures), and just a trace of acetone. It seems to work well for me.

Message #10779 of 16397
Re: [vegoil-diesel] DIN rapeseed oil standard
Thu Jul 6, 2006 1:15 am
"neil lawson" <bumble101@...>
enableafrica
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vegoil-diesel/message/10779

I am a Combustion Design Engineer, currently working on Power Stations, trying to design burners that will burn more cleanly and meet ever tightening emissions, so understand the principles of fuel atomisation, flame propagation and complete combustion.

I had to do some research on a new Venezuelan Orimulsion fuel (oil mixed with water) to meet current EU NOx emissions levels and came across the Acetone argument. Basically acetone reduces the surface tension of the fuel you mix it with, which improves atomisation and therefore ensures complete combustion, which will improve economy and power. I will email you some pertinent text off list.

Since starting a new job last November with a 132 mile daily commute, I bought the most economical car I could find, Peugeot 1.4 HDI claiming 78 mpg. I keep comprehensive fuel consumption records including supplier, ambient temps, lights on/off etc to identify any trends. About a month ago I came across some acetone and took the plunge.

It is added in such minute concentration, 0.1%. My first partial tank gave an immediate improvement in smoothness and power but little change in economy. I assume this was cleaning the system out. My second tank took me from a 7 month average 51.55 mpg to 59.27 mpg, the third tank to 60.124 mpg where it has stayed for 2 tanks (1,112 miles). That's 16.6% I am now on my second tank without acetone, the first dropped straight to 52.76 mpg and I will refill this tank on Tuesday and have some more data. I went back to no acetone to check what cleaning effect there had been as a control experiment, and then I can calculate the real improvement.

The best source of Acetone I have found is CFS Fibreglass *
<http://www.cfsne\t.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Catalogue__Acetone_7.html>
and the 5L will last me well over a year plus some for my heating oil, my V8 Land Rover and 300Tdi Land Rover. I don't have such comprehensive fuel records for these vehicles as they are weekend toys, but even if I gain 10% on a vehicle that does 20 mpg, that's very little return for a 13p investment!

Adding too much acetone affects the cetane rating of the fuel and from my research I see recommended figures of between 1 to 1.5 ml/litre of diesel ( 1.5 to 2ml/l of petrol). I am looking around for a suitable glass syringe, as my next test is to control the ratio more precisely, as I now estimate a 43 litre fill-up and chuck in 50ml for convenience. This equates to about 13p per 40l fill up.

Acetone is used as a nail varnish remover and is an extremely efficient paint remover when 100% concentrated. At levels of 0.1% it is going to have negligible effect on your hoses and fuel system parts.

I followed others carry out tests with varying results, generally 10 to 20% improvement and thought I would do it myself to satisfy my own curiosity. There is nothing stopping any of you doing the same. I am happy with my results and will continue to use acetone.

My 2c worth, use it don't use it,

Regards

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
waynesworld
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Neil, i am going to run the 50/50 down that i have left in the tank and try the Acetone, will let you know what happens Wink
waynesworld
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done 20l WVO and 1l perol with 30ml of acetone in my 2.8TD, it now runs better and near as good as diesel, i am going to ru this down now and get some veggi boost and try 30ml with that mix to see what the difference then.
bobblake

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Neil.
Thanks for putting up all the articles about Acetone.
You have a bigger pay grade than me lol, so people may listen a bit more about using Acetone
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: