2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

front Wheel Bearings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:34    Post subject: front Wheel Bearings Reply with quote

Hi All

I was informed (as part of the MOT) that both front wheel bearings have some play in then. Can they be tightened or do I need to replace them?

BTW how much do replacement bearings cost and are they easy to fit.

Regards
Asif
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

mimauk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'How To' is in the tech. faq. here
http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36837

I did mine last week. 30 mins for the first one - sorting the tools etc. and then 10 mins for the other side. Very easy to do.

Mike
vmaxsnoopy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can be adjusted easily enough mate. Remove the ring of bolts around the drive shaft flange and the spring clip around the drive shaft end. Then you will see a locking ring secured with two phillips screws. Remove these, then reduce the play on the bearing until none can be fealt by screwing the adjuster clockwise. (Do not overtighten, just enough to remove the play) Refit the locking ring and drive shaft flange and away you go. Should take no more than 10 mins a side.
mysticalmac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

mimauk wrote:
The 'How To' is in the tech. faq. here
http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36837

I did mine last week. 30 mins for the first one - sorting the tools etc. and then 10 mins for the other side. Very easy to do.

Mike

Hi Mike
i have bought both inner and outer bearings for my Pajero 2.8 LWB can you tell me if its a hard job to do both bearings as the Haynes manual is not very informative (as usual)

Regards
Allan
mimauk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually changed the bearings. My last MOT gave an advisory notice that there was some slight play in the wheels and so I tightened them up last week. There is no need to change the bearings unless the wheel does not spin smoothly when the bearings are tightened up.

When I did mine I just tightened the nut up as shown in the faq, slackened it back off and then re-tightened it by putting a screwdriver in one hole of the nut and tightening the nut up until the wheel did not 'rock'. The holes in the locking plate did not line up (they were half a hole out) so I left the locking plate in position and was able to poke a small electrical screwdriver through the locking plate and into the threaded hole and gently tightened the nut until the holes lined up to fit the 2 locking screws - don't damage the threads in the hole!!. This doesn't over-torque the nut it  just squeezes up the grease in the bearing.

I'm sure I've seen a post here somewhere about changing the bearings - try the search facility at the top of the page.

Good luck

Mike
mimauk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Asif heres the link to the other post about changing bearings.

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41138&highlight=wheel+bearings

I do not recommend using emery on the shaft to make the bearings fit as one poster suggests. With this cold weather all you need to do to get the bearing on the shaft is put the bearing in a container with some oil and warm the oil up gently to make the bearing expand - it should just fly on the shaft. To put the outer shell in position - stick it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer for a bit, this should shrink it enough to go in the hub. You could also stick the hub in the warm somewhere while the bearing is in the freezer.

Make sure all the 'landings' where the bearing shells butt up against are clean before assembling.

Good luck again

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: