Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

How Do You Replace The Halfmoon Seal & Rocker Cover Gask

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markppearson

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 14:17    Post subject: How Do You Replace The Halfmoon Seal & Rocker Cover Gask Reply with quote

Hi Peeps,

Just bought the genuine Rocker Cover Gasket & Half moon seal in attempt to cure my oil leak!

Also have the Hi-temp RTV Silicone Gasket sealant aswell.

Only trouble is, I am a complete mechanical novice, but getting more and more confident, WITH YOUR HELP!

Can anyone help in giving the procedure for doing the above as I have a day spare to do this, although I'm told it doesnt take that long.

Step-by-step will do or if you have some piccy's, even better.  Very Happy

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 14:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

squeek
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be watching to see what is said as i also would like to know  Very Happy  Very Happy
cavecommander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

so where do u need to start.. at the beginning or after u have the rocker cover off.. ??

trog
markppearson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

We, well I am, at the absolute start. Still running the car round. So if you please mate, from the start.
phil.p
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mark
its a very simple job,remove breather pipe from o/s of rocker cover and the two vac pipes.
remove pipe that runs over the cover to the injection pump.
undo 10mm bolt at back of r/cover holding steel vac pipe.
undo two top bolts on rocker cover and remove.
half moon rubber is at the back of the head.
just peel out the old gasket from r/cover clean up and reinstall with sufficient sealer on half moon . Wink
cavecommander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

interccoler off.. big pipes.. four bolts.. and some plugs and two little pipes at the back.. i leave all the big pipes attached to the cooler..

u might have to remove the top plastic cam cover.. not hard to do several bolts.. u might not cant remember for sure..

there are some cables going across the top of the rocker cover.. they have to be levered towards the front of the cover.. mine are not long enough and a bit awkard..

the rocker cover is held on with two bolts.. remove them.. tap the side of the cover to break the seal.. it might just lift off.. it might need some hefty taps.

if it does stick use a big hammer and some wood so as not to damage the cover... kinda tap sideways and upwards..

lift cover straight up and off.. u have to lift it fairly high so as to clear the valves and rockers.. there isnt much clearance at the back..

with luck the cover should come off with gasket nicely stuck to it and undamaged..

my advice now stops cos i would reuse the old gasket.. if anyone has any tips on how to remove the old gasket and keep the new one in place.. feed em in..

i sometimes used to stick new gaskets to the cover with evostick then fit them with a little grease.. but mostly i would reuse the old ones if nicely stuck to the cover and undamaged..

trog
phil.p
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

for got to mention the four intercooler bolts and the pipes Embarassed  Embarassed and remove it to one side Laughing  Laughing
squeek
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tech mate of mine told me the other day that if you fit gaskets with a wee bit of grease then they very rarely get damaged on removal...
cavecommander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A tech mate of mine told me the other day that if you fit gaskets with a wee bit of grease then they very rarely get damaged on removal..

yep that is always my intention.. but i only do it on the one side.. the other side i often want to stick.. he he

i like a gasket to stick to the bit that comes off and break clean from the other bit.. in a perfect world.. he he

trog
squeek
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

He metioned it as we did the timing belt on the 300tdi, as the gasket came off like new...

He was a yamaha master tech for nearly 30 years and such a perfectionist that it winds me up sometimes!!
rookie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi markpearson

Just did mine yesterday for the second time...

First of all remove the four bolts holding the intercooler (Two above Rad and two on top of front bulkhead.) Remove the jubille clips holding the intercooler rubber hoses. Remove the 2 or 3 (dependant on model) plugs located at the rear of the intercooler above and to the left of the fuel filter.

Above these plugs you will see two bolts in the intercooler bracket which hold the plug assembly and small bore pipes to the intercooler. Remove these two bolts.

Remove the intercooler.

On top of the rocker cover you will see the small bore pipes run through a clip bolted to the rocker about halfway along, remove this bolt.

Remove the bolt which holds the dip stick to the rocker cover and also the dip sticks lower bolt to give you more movement of dipstick.

Undo the two bolts holding the rocker cover and remove them and the rubber gromets.

You should now be able to remove rocker cover.

You will need to twist it at an angle and raise it high enough at the rear for the rocker cover pickup tube, (which protrudes down from the inside of the cover), to clear the cam shaft journals.

Old rubber seal will be attached to the rocker cover, just peel it out and throw it away.

Use small screwdriver and gently prise the front and rear half moons from their respective seats.

Clean half moon seats and rocer cover seat spotless and dry.

Clean inside rocker cover and seal location spotless.

The new seal will fit into rocker cover and will remain in place without any assistance (grease etc.)

Just before you are ready to refit cover, place a bead of sealant along the curved side of the half moons and put into position

Place a smear of sealant across the top of the halfmoons then position rocker cover.

tighten cover whilst sealant is still wet.

Refit the rest.

It sounds harder than it really is!

regards
markppearson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 20:04    Post subject: I've Done It! Reply with quote

Well it took me a bit longer than anticipated, aminly due to the spitting presisitant rain and people coming, but ITS DONE!

With help from Redders, Trog, Phil & The Rev' Green. Thanks Guys.

Seems to have stopped the leak. The old gasket had perished and came off in strips, bit like a kids cheese string! And the half moon was in a bad way, although the oil wasnt leaking from the rear. It appeared that it was dripping round to the front and leaking from the front part of the rocker cover.

I did take some photo's whilst my hands were clean to the point were you start rebuilding it all back together. I shall do a write up in the next few days and display the pics for all to benefit from.

(The wife has told me I have now got to hire a steam cleaner to clean the road outside the house!!!!! Yer, right Laughing)
ukrabbiter

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 20:11    Post subject: Re: I've Done It! Reply with quote

markppearson wrote:
The wife has told me I have now got to hire a steam cleaner to clean the road outside the house!!!!! Yer, right Laughing

pinch some of her washing powder, and use a brush & hose Laughing
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
joella

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, im sure this will be useful. I plan to do this at some point in the next 6 months so will refer to it when i do.  Very Happy

I worry about excess sealant getting into the inside of the engine, when you put the rocker cover back on. Is this something i should worry about or not?
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just needs a smear Joel ..about 1mm max mate  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: