2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

New Member New Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramigojag

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 13:30    Post subject: New Member New Problem Reply with quote

Hi all,
Im looking at purchasing a 1992 Pajero LWB 2.5TD. It is currently for sale very cheap because a pulley has come off, the guy seems to think its the power steering pump pulley, to me it looks more like the crank pulley.

It still ran after the pulley had fallen off however as you can imagine the battery is now dead and it hasn't moved for 3 months.

I'm assuming this isn't a common problem, but then I'm new to these cars and this engine.

Any particular reason you could think it would come off apart from shoddy workmanship by someone.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 13:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

These crank shaft pulleys come loose on the 2.5 because the crank bolt was not torqued up to spec when timing belts were changed.

to be wobbly loose means the crank shaft will have worn to some degree, along with the pulley and key, and at times even the crank keyway. This pulley is mounted at the end of the crank, and drives the water pump and alternator through just one V belt. You'll soon see what pulley it is.

This is serious damage as repairs are at best a patch. Replacement of the crankshaft is the certain way to a lasting repair.

If this is a loose power steering pump pulley, it's an easy fix, so why sell cheap ?
ramigojag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have attached a picture of the pulley, you tell me, I have never touched one of these engines before, If it is the crank pulley and it was worked itself loose by crankshaft wear is it a case of just a new pulley bolt possibly new pulley and carry on?

Because it's so cheap it could be worth just a cheap fix and carry on

EDIT: I can't upload the picture and i cant insert the link, but it's got 3 grooves for 3 V belts
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear would be quite obvious on the end of the crankshaft - some photos in THIS THREAD.

Check carefully - you might end up having to change the crankshaft and your cheap truck will suddenly become very expensive.
ramigojag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

How expensive is the crankshaft? When i say cheap it's only double figures, so I've got quite a lot of room to play if i decided to go for it
ramigojag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, double post....

Having said that I'm not sure i'd want to go through the hassle of changing it. I'm looking for something relativley cheap <£1000 to run around with the dog in the back and do a bit of off roading like i used to in my SJ
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the crankshaft means stripping the engine.

I would assume it would mean taking the engine out - although it may be possible without that but I doubt it.

You would not get the repairs done for £1000.

I would suggest checking for damage on the front of the crankshaft - and if there is any then walk away and look for another truck.

I would assume it is being sold cheap because the seller knows how much it would cost to repair it - if it was a cheap repair then why haven't they had it mended?
ramigojag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do the work myself quite often you can do it all from underneath by just dropping the sump, but like i said earlier I don't have any experience with these so I wouldn't know.

Thanks for your advice I will follow it if there is damage to the crank shaft at the front I'll walk

Thanks
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new crankshaft from Milners is £324 - HERE

And you will need new shells, gasket set, oil seals etc etc. - so at least £500 for parts at the very least.

Plus labour charges.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pic of the crank end will enable good advice to be given, or a detailed description of wear.

The crank cant simply be dropped out from below. Manual or auto box will need disconnection, so engine removal is best.

You'll need 10 posts before a pic can be sent, or sent via some one else.
ramigojag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to look at it pictures are hard to get without stripping it. The pulley is scrap but the wood roof key doesn't seem in to bad Nick from what little I could see of it. I think I'm going to go for it if by the time I get to it it's no good I'll just strip it for parts and weigh it in no real harm done.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it - hopefully it will be an easy and cheap repair.
ramigojag

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah hopefully aha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: