Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Importing direct from Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helen455636
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 20:17    Post subject: Importing direct from Japan Reply with quote

This post is a description of the process I went through to import Pajeros direct from Japan.  It is a summary of my experience as an individual and thus is not the be all and end all of importing but hopefully can explain the benefits of importing a vehicle for personal use.

When I imported my first vehicle I didn't know this club existed and the only advice I had was my next door neighbour who worked for Customs & Excise and had imported 6 vehicles himself over a couple of years.  He introduced me to a company called Mehran in Nagoya, Japan www.mehran.co.jp.  The process can seem daunting but, for me, it was well worth the effort!

My first vehicle was a Pajero 2.8TD SWB imported in 2003 and my second (and current) vehicle is a 3.5V6 Petrol SWB imported in December 2005.

The total cost of the 2.8 (Dec 91 so J reg) was £2,800 all in.  My 3.5 (October 1996 so P reg) was £4,250 in total.  When importing a vehicle the company provides you with the original Japanese registration/export certificate which confirms the “date first registered” as well as all the necessary engine spec and vin numbers.

Basically, the cheapest vehicles to import are OVER 10 years old as they only require minor modification and an MOT after arrival before registration with the DVLA.  Vehicles UNDER 10 years old require SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) carried out by Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) + the MOT before they can be registered.  This is a lot more complicated, hence more expensive.  However, with both vehicles I was able to secure a high spec vehicle for up to 50% less than I might have paid in the UK.  

If you want some reading material ask the DVLA for booklet "HOW TO REGISTER A VEHICLE IMPORTED INTO GREAT BRITAIN" and VOSA's "THE SINGLE VEHICLE APPROVAL SCHEME".  I found these both very confusing but asked loads of questions and have some good contacts if you want to discuss how to proceed.  As per the norm bureaucracy is mind boggling.

Approx breakdown of cost of my vehicles:

Vehicle 1:  Purchase Price £1200
Shipping £600
Import duty & VAT £495
Shipping agent £50 + Customs Clearance £55
4 Tyres, rear fog light & MOT £400
                                                    =  on the road for £2800

You have to add £35.00 registration by the DVLA unless you are a disabled badge holder as I am, then they waive the fee!

Vehicle 2:  Purchase Price £2000
Shipping £500
Import duty & VAT £857.25 (depending on current exchange rate)
Shipping agent £50
Customs Clearance £80
Model report, SVA & MOT £508.75
Delivery (port to home) £250
                                                    =  on the road for £4250

NOTE:  It is normal for vehicles to arrive with a flat battery (due to the time onboard ship) and sometimes very worn tyres so factor in the possible cost when you decide to buy.  My second import didn't need tyres, just the battery (£35.00 from Import Solutions at Southampton docks) but it's worth remembering this.  It is also worth taking a petrol/diesel can with you as the tank is sometimes empty and might not get you to the nearest petrol station!

The additional delivery charge was hefty because strictly speaking it's not legal to drive a newly imported vehicle from port to home.  However, when I imported my first one, I booked it for its MOT the same day so "technically" I was driving it from port to MOT station (loophole but legal).

You can't do this with a vehicle that's under 10 years old because there is more preparation required before the SVA will find the vehicle acceptable.  The shipping agent said I could risk driving it home and was unlikely to be pulled over but driving a vehicle with no plates is going to draw attention and it’s possible you could be prosecuted.  Therefore, the best way would be to collect it at the port and trailer it home to avoid any hassle.  I did not have a tow bar to collect the vehicle on a trailer so I paid the import company to deliver it which is the most expensive option.

For the SVA test you may need a "model report" which is confirmation the vehicle type has been approved by VOSA previously.  Without this it can be almost impossible to pass the test but I obtained one from Far East Services who made sure the SVA station would accept the report before I took it for the test (this cost £50).  Also, in order to pass the SVA every after market accessory has to be removed even though it's perfectly legal to refit them after the test (ie bull bars, mud flaps, spotlights & rear wheel + carrier etc etc) and boy do the Japs love their accessories which is a major plus point as most of these imports are very high spec.

Most stereos are no good in this country although band expanders are supposed to give you the range of UK stations but the actuality of this is you may only be able to find a few stations and in my experience these are a waste of time.  So, bin the stereo and buy a new one, the sat nav can't be converted as far as I know neither can the TV which my second import had.  I understand they can play DVDs but other than that they’re pretty useless.

Without any mechanical knowledge I was worried that attending the SVA test would not get a pass unless the vehicle was exactly as they wanted.  After talking to Far East Services they recommended a garage in Kent who know the SVA inside out and will do all the work for you.  Obviously if you can do this work yourself you will save about £400.  If you decide to take this option make sure you have tools with you to remove or adapt any items they say at the SVA test because otherwise they will fail the vehicle and you will incur more fees for a re-test!

Regarding timescale, my first paj was ordered 15/2/03, collected Southampton 16/4/03 - registered on road 2/5/03.  Second one ordered 28/9/05 (but I requested a later delivery date as I was waiting to get my licence back) so it was delivered to my home on 7/12/05 - registered on road 30/1/06.

The stock available with this company changes all the time and vehicles get reserved quite quickly.  Once you e-mail and ask for a quotation (ie the purchase price + shipping) this will come back almost immediately.  There are no other fees to be paid in Japan as this is not an auction site.  Fluctuations in the exchange rates obviously affects the prices, usually to our advantage in the UK.

As soon as you tell Mehran you wish to buy, they will mark the vehicle as “reserved” so that no other buyer can buy the vehicle unless you fail to pay the deposit.  If you decide not to proceed they do not charge you anything and will simply show the vehicle as available again on their site.  Mehran require the deposit within 7 days (50% of purchase price + shipping) to confirm the vehicle is yours.  They then require the rest of the money when they advise you that the vehicle is to be shipped.  I was worried by this at first but they are totally above board, I don't think I could have trusted an auction site unless it was recommended by other people.  Mehran also tell you the vessel’s name and the date of sailing so you can track it on it’s way to the port.  They also courier the original bill of lading to you once the vessel is on it’s way as you will need this to pay the duty and VAT before it’s arrival, otherwise it cannot leave the port.

This process may seem complicated at first but once you get to grips with what is required you can buy a vehicle at a very reduced price.  I hope I haven't bored you........... all I suggest you do at first is browse the website and see what you think.

The bottom line is my first Paj in 2003 was very simple to import and get registered and after driving it for 18 months I sold it for £2400 (more or less the same as I paid for it).  The second one was more complicated because it was under 10 years old but they were both brilliant vehicles, exactly as described by the company and I will never ever by a Pajero in the UK as the premium importers add for a vehicle on the forecourt will send me straight back to Mehran for any vehicle in the future.

Please don’t be mislead as buying a vehicle without seeing it in person or test driving it is most definitely a risk.  I feel lucky that this company has a good reputation and both vehicles I have imported have exceeded my expectations.  I think I have included most of the information here to assist you in importing a vehicle as an individual but I would be happy to answer any questions you have.  If you do ask a question I will post the answer here to help other members in the process of importing a vehicle.  It is not a simple process but it is well worth the effort so don’t be afraid to take the plunge.  If you’re lucky like me you will never want to buy a Pajero in the UK again!

Sometimes it's easier to speak in person about this so feel free to call 07834766901 if I haven't scared you off!    

One major bonus I didn’t say about is that the Japanese never (or hardly ever) go off-road and often have very low mileage so the vehicle you buy should be top notch.

At the end of the day I don’t want anyone to take what I have written here as gospel, because I have only my own experience to call on but if you’re prepared to do a little paperwork and take a little chance in my experience you will not be disappointed.

Post any questions about this process in this forum so any Q&A can be read by other members.  Every bit of information and experience is helpful to club members.
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 20:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

shane1311

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the pm reply it makes very good reading and i was unaware how much was involved even the timescale
it is somthing that maybe oneday i will venture into many thanks for all your advice regards shane  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
Harry2006

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....very interesting, but it does'nt seem like a massive saving against buying one here!! Not to mention the stress & strains of doing all that. Confused
helen455636
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry2006 wrote:
Hmmm....very interesting, but it does'nt seem like a massive saving against buying one here!! Not to mention the stress & strains of doing all that. Confused

The savings vary from vehicle to vehicle but I've found it worthwhile and for vehicles over 10 years old it is very simple, hardly any paperwork at all compared with newer vehicles!  I wrote this post at Simon's suggestion to inform other members of this possibility.  He will be moving it to an appropriate forum and making it 'sticky' soon    Smile
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helen its a Brilliant Post  thumbleft  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Well done that Girlie  notworthy  notworthy  notworthy  notworthy
Well done you  Wink
Onan The Barbarian
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post, Helen!  Maybe this should be a Stickie?
brad

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 21:48    Post subject: Re: Importing direct from Japan Reply with quote

helen455636 wrote:

You have to add £35.00 registration by the DVLA unless you are a disabled badge holder as I am, then they waive the fee!

Why's that then? Surely that's discrimination to the non disabled?  Laughing
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevev look 3 posts up Wink ....it will be matey  thumbleft
andrew38

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post good read, as Helen says as long as you take care and use a reputable company the rewards are worth the effort depending on vehicle, remember direct Japan cars are salt free. I have a car from Japan being landed on Sunday a Mitsy Legnum VR-4 1997 Tipronic with a warranted 35k miles (55k kms) on the clock a grade 4 exterior with a grade b interior so I have my fingers crossed for next week. So far it owes me £2,200 ex taxes, registration and MOT but including shipping and insurance. Personal imports now adays are fairly painless, though I wouldn't want the hassle of ESVA which can add to the costs considerably. If you want something a bit different its the way to go, just be aware of the pit falls and do your research before jumping in.
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Wink  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Laughing

Seriously well done you and it deserves a sticky  Wink
barbule

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that very informative.
helen455636
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

yr welcome  Smile
spooky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

my girlfriends mum has brought 2 cars in from japan and im now bringing in my own if you are after a good import agent to help we have used japautoagent who is very good at what he dose and is a pleasure to deal with i would highly reccomned this company sorry in advance if im not allowed to mention this company but i feel if you want to import yourself then you would go off recomendations
helen455636
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

spooky wrote:
my girlfriends mum has brought 2 cars in from japan and im now bringing in my own if you are after a good import agent to help we have used japautoagent who is very good at what he dose and is a pleasure to deal with i would highly reccomned this company sorry in advance if im not allowed to mention this company but i feel if you want to import yourself then you would go off recomendations

I agree the option of using an agent gives some peace of mind compared to importing without the use of an agent.  I only proceeded with my import on the recommendation of a friend and would not recommend buying from an auction site as this can be very risky.  The company I used (www.mehran.co.jp) are very efficient and reliable but without an introduction to them I would never take this risk myself.

Let us know how it goes when your vehicle arrives as as much information that can be gathered about companies here and in Japan will help other members considering this option!

I'm currently researching the import market in Cyprus and will post my experience here in due course!
spooky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

well got mine a week last sat the challanger looks better than the photos but needed new tyres  Crying or Very sad but can not complane due to the fact that i saved about £2500 plus ont the challanger  Laughing if you go to my space u will see the pics that i got from japautagent.com paul who owns the site is very good as hes been importing cars for a very long time i would recommend if you want to bring your own car in go through him as he will advise you on the best way to do it and get all the paperwork and any works ie mot esva all sorted out hope this helps like i said in my last post on here this is now the third car we have brought over from japan using paulthe other advantage of using an agent and bringing your own car in is you know the car is right as there are 2 grade in the japan acutions one is where the milage is ok the other is where they can not say it the clock has been messed with and in that section is also a lot of accdent damage repairs which is where a lot of traders from the uk buy them the tart them up and sell the for a big profit like i say have a look at myspace for my pics of the challanger
hope ive not bored you all to much but im still grinning with my car
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: