Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

4M40 timing marks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr jimbo

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:51    Post subject: 4M40 timing marks Reply with quote

does anybody have a diagram of the timing marks on the 4M40 diesel engine 1996 please.
The cam chain broke so i need to time it all up from scratch.
All information/advice would be very much appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Hugh Michael

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chaplain_scfs@btinternet.com/detail?.dir=6542re2&.dnm=7deare2.jpg&.src=ph
Its a pic of the front of the engine stripped down to renew the chain.
It might help a bit.
The new chain has markings that you set up with the cam sprocket and drive sprocket. The engine timing is then correct.
I might have some more pics somewhere. I'll try to find them.
Hugh
wiggletiger
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME
kermit
mr jimbo

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers everybody  Very Happy
mr jimbo

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I've replaced the timing chain and timed the engine up with all the marks on the gears and chain etc but when i go to start it the engine turns over OK but won't start, it tries to but i just get a load of white smoke. I've bled the fuel system and the pump was timed to the 'T' mark as it's a turbo version.
Any ideas please  Sad
mimauk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a glow plug problem - look in the starting issues forum for how to check your glow plugs and connections.
Hugh Michael

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your are a tooth out. The pump is offered up with the timing mark set to turbo on the pump. By the time it engages it has moved one tooth and from the inside looks as if it has set itself to non-turbo when you check it. If you realign the pump with the mark at the T position when it is fitted, it will be wrongly timed and just blow white unburned diesel out of the exhaust.
Try it the other way. I know its a nuisance when you have done your best to get it right and it won't start. The bright side is that the more you take the pump on and off, the quicker you get at the job! I have got it down to 40 mins. for pump off and back on. See if you can beat my time!
Hugh
Maxpajero

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mr jimbo, just thought you would like an overall look at the situation, just happened to have the pic handy as I was looking at something else, if it doesn't help then no harm done  Very Happy  

cheers, max
mr jimbo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I managed to get it running last night after i bled the injectors again, it runs but is quite flat and won't keep running if you take your foot off the accelerater. Spent 2 1/2 hrs trying to undo the nuts on the flang of the pump but can't even get a spanner or a socket on the nut nearest the block to undo it so i can swing the pump to check whether it's too far advanced or too far retarded. How do you get on that nut ? I'm begining to run out of patience now not to mention skin on my knuckles.

Any ideas ?
Mo Khan

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a couple of 3/8 drive extensions and a 13 mm socket. Feed it behind, between block and pump with patience (and a torch) you will get it on and you only need to loosen it half to one turn only to loosen it.
By the way, if your engine is not running well even at this stage then there is not really enough movement using this method. Itoo tried but it didn't run significantly better even after advancing maximum.
Read Hugh Michael post, have you timed it as he suggests. If you do it that way it will be ok without need to do adjustment as above.

If you have a go as above, mark the pump so you know where it was before.

Regards

Mo
mr jimbo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the pumps got to come out then Sad
substan

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 21:18    Post subject: 4m40 fuel pump timing marks Reply with quote

I'm struggling to see the timing mark notch on the fuel pump wheel, all pics online seem to be badly focused or I'm shown white paint Mark's, please can someone show me what I'm looking for
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: