Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Bullbar Issue on BBC News

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GAZZ1ZZ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:52    Post subject: Bullbar Issue on BBC News Reply with quote

On our local news round up last night, Central news there was an article about the fitting of bullbars to vehicles, they showed a Paj of all vehicles with its bar removed, and saying that anyone fitting a bar to a vehicle could be fined upto £20,000 or imprisoned.
I tried searching for it and cant find it, did anyone else see it ?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mate but Kath did its about this

try
www.tnn.co.uk/UKNews

Its under Bull Bar Outlaws

No Link on the Central News site  Rolling Eyes  Evil or Very Mad
leebeelee123
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if this applies to companies manufacturing/fitting bullbars to new cars?
How will the authorities be able to prove that your motor hasnt had a bullbar on it for a long time?
Will I get fined or sent to prison for refitting my bullbar when it comes back from Gazs after repair?

Scary..... Wink
redneck

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick the nurse wrote:
I didn't mate but Kath did its about this

try
www.tnn.co.uk/UKNews

Its under Bull Bar Outlaws

No Link on the Central News site  Rolling Eyes  Evil or Very Mad

From reading that link it seems to apply to manufacturers and suppliers, not if one is already fitted.

Still a ruddy nuisance though  Evil or Very Mad  How can you fit a winch to a lump of foam  Evil or Very Mad  Rolling Eyes
Daisy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Statistics produced by the UK’s Transport Research Laboratory (TRL) reveal why the new EC legislation and the Endura FPS can make a major breakthrough in pedestrian safety. More than 900 UK and 12,000 European pedestrians and cyclists are killed every year and more than 9,000 and 290,000 respectively are seriously injured.

Which is a bit meaningless, unless we also have the statistics as to how many of these injuries are due to cars with bullbars, or even 4x4s..  Rolling Eyes

I know for a fact that the 'people killed on Lincolnshire's roads' have at one time included a man who died of a heart attack in his parked car. Wink  Laughing  This information was divulged to me by a serving Police Class 1 driver...
blackeagle
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followed through some of the manufacturers info where it says
Quote:
The risk of leg injury to a pedestrian when hit by a vehicle not fitted with a frontal protection system is extremely high.

So i presume this to mean the majority of cars on the road today that are not fitted with fps !

I also fail to understand how getting hit by anything, at any sort of speed, can suddenly be "safer" unless its got masses of padding on the front.  Thats of course ignoring the impact the pedestrian/cyclist or whatever, will then have with the ground.

Personally, I think it all neatly goes hand in hand with the anti 4x4 stuff thats getting bandied about at the moment.
Daisy
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop press!!

Spontex have a new product Shocked :

Laughing
wiggletiger
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daisy wrote:
Stop press!!

Laughing

VERY CLEVER  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
bob cole
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the the law apply to this one, I wonder Question Would it work without the Bullbars, I wonder Question . Laughing
bob
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 17:56    Post subject: Re: Bullbar Issue on Central News Reply with quote

GAZZ1ZZ wrote:
On our local news round up last night, Central news there was an article about the fitting of bullbars to vehicles, they showed a Paj of all vehicles with its bar removed, and saying that anyone fitting a bar to a vehicle could be fined upto £20,000 or imprisoned.
I tried searching for it and cant find it, did anyone else see it ?

,......just as well they abolished hanging Shocked
tutor52

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daisy wrote:
Stop press!!

Laughing

radiator won't be quite so efficient, though  Wink
GAZZ1ZZ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that i was pretty sure it was Central News, but Mandy has just found the link and it was on BBC News

Link Here:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6670000/newsid_6670100/6670191.stm?bw=bb&mp=wm
GeoffL

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

redneck wrote:
How can you fit a winch to a lump of foam  Evil or Very Mad  Rolling Eyes

This is the question I'm wondering about. I haven't got a winch but I'm thinking about it. AFAICT, most bullbars aren't suitable for fitting winches and you need a proper winch bumper. Does the ban include winch bumpers, or will it still be legal to sell them?

BTW, I retained my bullbars because I once had a vehicle written off when a dartmoor pony jumped into the road in front of me one night. If I'd had a front seat passenger, she'd have been killed because the roof was flattened down to dashboard level. My bars are the manufacturer's option - fitted to the car during manufacture or at the original dealership AFAICT. The chances of me having a horse or deer run out of road-side bushes in front of my car and a darned sight more likely than me running over pedestrians - so why has this anti-rural law been passed that puts me and my family at greater risk?
AngieRS

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not April Fools day is it?  If they want to fit them to post vans then they want to come up with one which goes right round it.  Anyway, I didn't think it was illegal to fit them to cars over a certain age.  Hope so cos I want one.
GeoffL

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngieRS wrote:
Not April Fools day is it?  If they want to fit them to post vans then they want to come up with one which goes right round it.  Anyway, I didn't think it was illegal to fit them to cars over a certain age.  Hope so because I want one.

AFAICT
  1. from a certain date it will be unlawful to sell bull bars or fit them to cars first used after that date.
  2. At some other date further in the future it will be unlawful to sell a vehicle with bull bars fitted.
  3. Despite the previous point, it will remain legal to give them away with the vehicle on which they were fitted provided that the sale doesn't depend on the supply of the bull bars. Rolling Eyes
  4. It will remain legal for the owner of a vehicle to fit bull bars to cars first used prior to the cut-off date in point 1.
  5. At some even later date presenting a car with bull bars fitted will mean an automatic MOT failure.
  6. Despite the previous point, it will continue to be legal for bull bars to be fitted to cars first used prior to the cut-off date, so an owner could legally remove them for the MOT and fit them back onto the car after the test. (don't you just love joined-up thinking Rolling Eyes )

"Frontal protection systems" (FPS), which are basically type-approved soft bull bars and A bars, will remain OK and should give better protection in the event of impact with an errant horse, deer, etc. although the FPS would need to be replaced while the bull bars stand a chance of remaining intact.

Now, since all the above is hearsay, I could be wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: