Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Timing Belt Hydraulic Tensioner 1991 4D56T GEN II

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
torquemonster

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:30    Post subject: Timing Belt Hydraulic Tensioner 1991 4D56T GEN II Reply with quote

I am wondering what the OEM Mitsubishi part number is for the Hydraulic Timing Belt tensioner on a 1991 GEN II 4D56T is??? I have ordered a timing belt kit from Contitech but it does not come with one...I know my 4G63 engine in my Mirage suggests to replace it with every timing belt change, is the 4D56T the same??? let me know as soon as possible, thanks alot guys...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

gazzer

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesnt have one, spring loaded ones.
torquemonster

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

well holy *beep*....don't I feel like an idiot, I thought forsure it had a hydraulic unit.  well does anything in the tensioner need to be replaced???? or just the 2 belts and 2 pulleys??
cricket

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your water pump!
Some change this as a matter of coarse?
playdoh
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

tensioners are most likely ok, check they're not noisy, grinding or lacking lubrication and turn smoothly. some change them even though they're not a common cause of problems on these trucks.
torquemonster

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes...well I live in canada and parts for this engine are EXTREMELY difficult to find.  so I got a guy in Germany to mail some to me.  I got a Contitech timing belt/balance shaft belt kit with pulleys and I ordered a new water pump.  I also want to change the balance shaft seals, cam sea, and front crank seal...what I need to know is are they the same seal as the 4D55 2.3???? because I can get parts for that engine here in Canada easily.  thanks!
turbine

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4D55 front and rear crank seals are the same. I don't know about the balance shaft. However owing to the similarities between the two engines that I have seen it is very likely. The 4D55 waterpump is not that same. It has a built in thermostat housing. As opposed to the separate one that is bolted onto the end of the 4D56 one. The gasket and mounting points and mating profile of the two pumps are exactly the same. You can take a 4D55 waterpump and mount it to the 4D56. But make sure that the diameter of the metal pipe going alongside the engine to the heater matrix is the same. On the watercooled turbo installation the pickup is on the same line. Therefore I do not know if the heater pipe could be smaller on the air cooled version, you'd have to check. As regards the waterpump the impeller cavities are exactly the same. I have measured both, I am happy that the pumped volume of the two pumps are exactly the same. ( I know you ordered a new pump. Just giving you the gen for future use if you ever need to repalce the pump again Laughing )
torquemonster

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 20:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if worse comes to worse I could technically make the 4D55 water pump work on my 4D56??? I just have to make sure the water pipe can be attatched.  I am contemplating buying a 4D55 water pump so that I can compare the 2 just for future reference.  this is extremely valuable information for me guys, I appreciate it.

I am an old 2.6 G54B guy now switched to diesel.  I have noticed this block is similar to the 2.6 in many ways aswell.  I miss my timing chain!!! Sad
turbine

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

torquemonster wrote:
 I miss my timing chain!!! Sad

I think properly maintained belts are better. Quieter and smoother.They help absorb some of the frequencies in the rotating shafts and are therefore easier on them. You are forced to maintain and keep an eye on the timing belt. If done at the specified intervals you wont get a breakage. Most people think a chain is indestructable. It is also prone to wear and stress (think of all those linkages)as are the teeth. If you treat it as such eventually it will break. Just my observation but give me a good belt anyday.
torquemonster

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that is true...the 2.6 G54B is a very noisy engine but I loved it anyways.  I put that engine through hell and back and it took all the abuse I threw at it.  I will buy another one.  I don't hate timing belts, I just prefer chains.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: