Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Flashing 4WD Lights

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul_jefferson

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 0:22    Post subject: Flashing 4WD Lights Reply with quote

4Wd lights flashing all the time. Only the front 2 but I cannot remedy this I have reversed miles and I have run in 4wd for a day or two. Tried everything suggested but still got flashing lights.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Someone mentioned that a relay could be stuck but didn't get back to me on which relay it was.

HELP Confused
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 0:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Pete Alderman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 0:55    Post subject: 4Wd lights flashing Reply with quote

Hi Paul
I had the same trouble, my problem was caused by a vac pipe had come off a vac switch. The pipe came from the brake servo to a vac switch by the air filter, there are 2 switchs side by side.

hope this gives you a place to start??
Good luck Pete
mark iow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem and also found it to be a leak in the vacuum system. ,On my 2.5TD, from memory, the vacuum is taken from the nearside of the engine and the pipe then goes to the bulkhead. It enters some electrical component and then proceeds to the offside of the vehicle where it enters a T-piece to serve the system. My leak was found at the T-piece caused by fatigue. Just trimmed off the defective bit and I've not had any trouble since.

Some others suggested that this has been caused by sticking 'status' switches but I never had reason to find them. I suppose there must be a status switch on the frront axle providing a signal to show the hubs are locked/not locked and the other must come from the gear box giving the indication 2WD/4WD. The reason the 4WD lights flash could be because the gearbox sensor states '2WD' and the front axle sensor states 'Hubs Locked'. A sticking front axle sensor could therefore cause this fault.

Best of luck in resolving it.
Mark
paul_jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting??? Confused

Found two pipes removed from the two steel pipes running accross the top of the rocker cover. They are removed at the back by the bulk head.

So I reconnected them and engine started smoking and running lumpy.

What the hell is going on there then?
mark iow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but Idon't know which pipes you have found. The pipes associated with the 4WD are small plastic/rubber tubes.

Mark
Stuey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 19:57    Post subject: ask Ali, Bill or Andy(NW) Reply with quote

Paul,
This sounds like the EGR valve which may have been blocked off the "easy way" by just blocking off the pipe, rather than the valve itself.

I saw Bill sort out Andy's at Bletchley Park doing a similar "operation", and it sounds like what I saw. Hopefully one of them can confirm.
paul_jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

These where smal ruber tubes, but just found out that they are part of the turbo Shocked . Not to wory, I will have another look tomorow.

When I swaped the tubes around The engine started running smooth again Rolling Eyes .
paul_jefferson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

All vacuum tubes are OK, but lights still flashing Twisted Evil

Any idea what the flashing front wheels means?

Any idea where the blue and yellow tubes go from the electronic valves, they seam to disapear off down under the wheel arch.

Cheers....
mark iow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul
Have you found out if your front wheels are actually in 4WD mode? You need to discover if it is just the sensor switch at fault or if it is the actuator that isn't working.

It would seem that the 'natural' mode is 4WD and that 2WD isn't achieved until a vacuum is formed (based on the fact that in my vehicle when the ignition is turned on the 4WD front lights flash until the engine starts and a vacuum is formed but this is purely deduction on my part).

If this is the case, then you need to jack up the front two wheels. With the transfer box set for 2WD, main gearbox in neutral, check to see if the front wheels are independent of each other, see if the front wheels are 'free wheeling' by manually rotating one of the front wheels (if my deduction is correct the front wheels will not be independent). Now start the engine and repeat the test, the wheels should be independent and not be connected through the front differential if your actuator is working. If this is the case, then select 4WD on the transfer box and confirm that the wheels are now connected through the differential (rotating one wheel should cause the other wheel to rotate in the opposite direction). If the system behaves as above then it is suggesting the sensor switch is at fault but I'm sorry I don't know where that is located!

I am sure if this is total tosh some other members will correct it.

Mark
theboatpainter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Blue and yellow tubes go to actuator on front axle, one either side and the third goes to the vacuum reservoir. As for the switches or sensors, mark was talking about, one is on top of the front axle (Nearside) and there are two more on top of the transfer box (towards the Offside) These can be difficult to remove, and there are two types threaded or Push in depending on the model of the box
Cheers John.
paul_jefferson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Last!!!! No more flahsing lights Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The car was booked in today for tracking, got the garage to check out where the vacuum tubes went. They found that they where split down bellow. They replaced the free of charge.

Can't feel any mechanical difference though.

But the annoying flashing has gone Very Happy

Paul Very Happy
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: