eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

alternator failure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GIABO

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 23:51    Post subject: alternator failure? Reply with quote

stop chucking your alternator and treat your wallet to a day off.

ive done this on some german cars i used to have and the pajs alternator is built in the same manner..havnt even looked at my own yet because the previous owner just put a new one in before i bought it 2 weeks ago!

anyway, instead of spending £130+ on a new alternator, spend 5 minutes calling your parts person and order a new voltage regulator/alternator brushes for the princely sum of £15! seriously easy job to do, alternator off, plastic end unscrews, under there in in the centre are 2 screws holding the regulator and brushes.
..and that is it! as long as the alternator spins ok and isnt rusted out etc just buy the brushes/regulator (one piece) and then proceed to kick yourself having spent vast fortunes on previously spent alternators! )

haynes manual chapter 5 engine electrical systems part 16 init
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 23:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

GIABO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually-screw that-on mitsubishi alternators you can even just change the brushes by themselves! £3.99 on ebay or £130.00 for new alternator?
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aword of warning here. Do NOT allow engine degreasant to get in alternators. It melts the insulating laquer on the coils. I have heard WD40 does the same but unproven. Better safe than sorry.
gegs750k4

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

REVOGEL wrote:
Aword of warning here. Do NOT allow engine degreasant to get in alternators. It melts the insulating laquer on the coils. I have heard WD40 does the same but unproven. Better safe than sorry.

wd40 is a cracking de-greaser, when folks spray the alternator bearing with it it cures the squealing but dissolves the bearing grease.
i would rather spend the money, get it reconditioned and get the bearings done at the same time.
that way i get a bench test and a warranty.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also corrodes the copper.
paddyj
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone give me a part number for these, Ive cross referenced all the alternator numbers but am struggling with brush numbers Rolling Eyes
pajrabbit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

just find out what your alternator is and youll find them easy enough.
pajrabbit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno if the 2.8 and 2.5 are the same alternator or which years but check this link..
http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=90635&sid=2bcd7ff1a155579b932af4223a02afad
paddyj
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Paj, found them eventually, it seems people aren't repairing alternators and starters any more  Rolling Eyes , throw away society I suppose. but anyway this lot do them http://www.autoelectrics.net/alternator_parts.html  part number 140817, for 6 quid.

Alternatively SAS components do the whole regulator, part/catalogue number 10791 for about 35 quid.

Hope this helps anybody else!
Selkent1

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the feeling mines on its way out, anyone got some pics to show the process?

Phil
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray WD40 on bare metal and watch it go rusty ................. rust sets in almost immediately but many believe it takes ages. I believe the lubricating powers of WD40 are a fallacy and it's defo more like a degreasant/degrippant.

I believe in spray grease and chain wax for protection of shafts etc, silicon or rubber spray on door rubber seals and use WD40 as a degrippant/penetrating fluid on seized nuts and bolts. Read the contents safety data sheet of both they are near identical Shocked I still prefer Plusgas though.
trekker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

As is often the case, there can be more to this simple repair than replacing a diode and brush pack.

Definitely replace the bearings, and the slip ring end bearing is not so easy to remove from the shaft.

Slip rings should be skimmed.

I overhauled my original alternator, fitting new brushes and bearings, only to find later the charging dropped away completely when the engine revs reached 2800. As we were 1500 km into a camping trip and in need of a reliable charge for at least another month, I had the alternator stripped at an auto shop, only to find the slip rings had oval wear, and this was causing the brushes to bounce, and the charge to cease.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: