QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Please help me decide on what to get. - Thank you

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gold5th

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 22:11    Post subject: Please help me decide on what to get. - Thank you Reply with quote

Hello all.

I’m posting this on both a Pajero board and a Hilux board.

I want to buy a small diesel SUV.  Over here in Canada, those just don’t exist.  So of course I’m looking at a JDM one, not because I want on the RHD bandwagon (We’re LHD over here).  I want one because it’s a way to get a low mileage diesel SUV in good shape for a reasonable cost.  A few people who have landed ones are trying to sell them for twice what they could be imported for.

Now on to the reason of the post.

Both a Pajero and Hilux are about the same size, similar curb weights, similar power (The Pajero has I think 7HP more, TQ is the same).

I’m trying to decide between the two.  Now a Toyota is a Toyota and I should die before it does…  The Mitsu has won the Dakar (sp?) so many times…

I’ve had a Dodge badged Mistu diesel Pick up – an 83 D50 with the 2.3L TD, great truck, awesome in the snow… not the fastest thing, but that’s not what I’m after.  It died because the old fellow who I bought it from replaced the head with one from a wrecker and didn’t torque the head bolts properly. So on the compression stroke of the #2 cylinder my oil and cooling systems were getting extra pressure.  This led to pretty much a total engine failure one December day when it was about -40.

I would like creature comforts like a sunroof, A/C (I rarely use it, but it would be nice to have), power windows and door locks, leather seats…. Etc.  But my main goal is fuel mileage; currently I drive a 1987 Chrysler Fifth Ave, a mid sized 4000lbs car with a 318 V8, 3spd auto and a 2.2 rear end.  So my highway mileage is great – 28-38mpg depending on the temperature out side.  City isn’t so great.

Now before people go recommend a small diesel car, like a jetta or what not, I haul quite a bit, I’ve towed cars with my fifth; weekly I tow about 1000lbs worth of newspapers in a trailer, etc, etc.  Plus I live in a small town that is quite hilly; winter can be fun with 2wd.

Oh also a 5 or 6spd manual is a must.

So if you kind people could let me know some selling points like tow ratings, economy examples that would be great.  Try and help me choose between the two.  Looks aren’t a huge factor, but I do like the look of a Pajero over a Hilux.  Also with a Pajero if I do go that route I’d need to figure out what’s better for me a 3dr or the 5door exceed.

Thank you
Heath
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 22:11    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

turbine

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heath judging from a few posts here Paj spares and gen are difficult to get in Canada. But granted the posts were not numerous. If you want something economical then the Paj diesel is not for you.
I have had Hi-lux, a very good vehicle, easily modded and can take awful punishment. I found the bodywork to be a bit soft.
I am a Paj newbie and  we have a 2.5 Mk1 and a 2.8 MII. I love the Mk1, it is rugged,well built, I love the engine. The Mk 1 for me is a good no nonsense vehicle. Have not had the MkII long but the wife loves it. I've also had Land Cruisers and I feel that when I do the SAS it will be better.
I am nutty about the Paj but I truely think that for you the Hi-lux is a better option. This derived from posts from your country and your requirements as stated.
But more gen will be forthcoming here to allow you to make a better informed descision.
Gold5th

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at either a 1991 or a 1992 of either.  If that helps.

Both vehicles engine parts would take time to get.. if I have the mitsu part # a mitsu dealer can order from Japan without much issue.. just time.  We have LHD equiv's of them, but with gasser engine.
turbine

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

1991 Was the crossover year of Mk1 and Mk2 Production. Mk1 is boxier with traditional offroad interior. Part time 4WD Mk2 more modern interior ,permanent 4WD. The 5 door has loads more room.

Reasons to buy Pajero
    1. Build Quality
    2. Higher Spec
    3.Better drive comfort

Reasons to buy HI-Lux
    1. Will take you to hell and back
    2. Not as heavy on diesel as the Pajero.

Even though my location is Ireland I have been here a short while. Most of my time was spent on the african and south american continent where toyota is the more common work vehicle. Maybe the trim specs are higher on what you can get in Canada. I am trying to be objective here but I do love the Pajero and would not choose another vehicle. The thing is though, whatever you choose between the two neither will let you down.
Gold5th

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest downsides to the Hilux I can think of is 1 having to roll the rear window down to open the tailgate (windows like to freeze up around here in the winter, and can't use 4hi on any semi dry surfaces..
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

that seems to be one of the  major gripes with the hi-lux espesialy if your using it a lot to load/ unload.can be a real pain.paj's out number hi-lux by a long way over here.
Onan The Barbarian
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to The Club, Heath! Very Happy
cssuk

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i would go with a paj but the petrol 3.5 is actually just as economical as the diesels unless you drive it hard the diesel has to work much harder to get the same speeds plus the 3.5 can use lpg, what i would suggest is if you get a diesel it gets new batteries and glow plugs before shipping and a new rad and water pump fitted in japan where the parts are much more readily available and probably cheaper i know it will add to the cost but at least it will be done
Gold5th

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

cssuk wrote:
personally i would go with a paj but the petrol 3.5 is actually just as economical as the diesels unless you drive it hard the diesel has to work much harder to get the same speeds plus the 3.5 can use lpg, what i would suggest is if you get a diesel it gets new batteries and glow plugs before shipping and a new rad and water pump fitted in japan where the parts are much more readily available and probably cheaper i know it will add to the cost but at least it will be done

I have a spare rad kicking around actually that should fit a Paj (with was from my 2.3L) If the glow plugs are the same as the 2.3L I have a set of those kicking around too.

Batteries.. naw wait for those til here.. drop in a couple gell cell Optima 1000cca's.

Diesel is about $0.90 a liter and gas, 87 octane is $1.20 and going up to $1.30-$1.40 this summer... hense why I want a diesel.

I had a 2.3L pickup truck version of a Paj had no pros hitting highway speeds with that.. quite often found myself going too fast like 140km/h in a 100km/h zone...

I've been poking around the site... an exceed is looking more and more appealing... the rear two seats would get yanked.. hmmm

Any body have rough numbers of how many km or miles per tank they get?
cssuk

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

rads and glowplugs are diff, honestly if you can get it done in japan its worth it the one failing and very critical part on these is the cooling due to the many years in stop start traffic and the lack of basic maint in japan most owners polish forever but never do servicing my 2.5 gives a max of 660 km to 92l of diesel on a long run but i have a roof crate and 33" Mud Tyres so you will probably get more avg around town is 25mp english gallon (4.54litres) i have been told the manuals give slightly less milage as they are lower geared but cant confirm on a paj look for a few options for your market the winterpack comes in many forms mine has heated mirrors, extra body insulation twin batts and a rear locker which is rare on pajs most are lsd or open diffs, some of the 2.8s also have a heated lower screen to unstick the wipers

the one other thing to be aware of is that there are various diff gearing options try not to get a low geared version very poor cruising ability the ratios are on the vin plate check the faqs, if you intend to fit bigger tyres again get the work done japside aftermarket parts are damn near impossible to find elsewhere
Gold5th

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.. ya a 3.54 gearing or a 3.23 would be fine for me...

My wife's car has 3.94 and my fifth ave has 2.2 Razz

Even with your milage that's about 2km/L more than my car..

Winter pack eh?  I keep that in mind... I think a LSD would work for me too.

I'll probably keep the tires the same, maybe a touch bigger... but not much.

Do the exceeds even come with a 5spd?  Or they all auto?

Maybe I can just get the parts, but that then just toss them in the back or something..  I like to tinker and a rad/glow plugs are easy to change...

Water pump..... depends..  I just did all that on my car.. wee.
cssuk

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will find since 9/11 nothing is allowed in the car at one time wheels bumpers all sorts were sent now nothing exceeds do come with 5 spd but are rare, look at the failures and problems on here i would say 90% are cooling and starting related
Gold5th

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

cssuk wrote:
you will find since 9/11 nothing is allowed in the car at one time wheels bumpers all sorts were sent now nothing exceeds do come with 5 spd but are rare, look at the failures and problems on here i would say 90% are cooling and starting related

Really? I know a couple importers who get parts shipped inside cars.. they still do it... hmm might be a little extra red tape to go through...
rick the biker
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

always makes me laugh when i read people in the canada/the states run pajeros!

you got the cheapest fuel ! go buy a huge petrol v8 and have some fun while you still can!
I just cant afford to run the likes of my old dodge 7.0 big block pick up truck these days..£5 per gallon for petrol?

when gasoline hits $10 per gallon you might consider a more mpg friendly mode of transport..till then enjoy it!
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a viable point .......me I'd just have to leave the PWR button on ALL the time  Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: