Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Petrol tank Renewal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bomber

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:47    Post subject: Petrol tank Renewal Reply with quote

I have a N reg SWB Pajero auto which in a previous thread I said that on filling up "Full" I was getting a petrol leak which went away after a few miles when the level in the tank dopped well after a good look through the Inspection hatch it now seems more likely the leak is from from the sender unit Gasket area (a bit rusty on top of tank around both sender unit and two fuel pipe plates  Sad ) I have let a friend of mine who is a Mechanic and knows what he's doing (I certainly don't! computers yes! cars no!  Sad )
He said he is prepared to do the job "But" the six nuts holding the sender unit onto the tank are well rusted! and he is concerned that there maybe a chance of two things happening, shearing a stud or finding "Rust Corrosion" under the Gasket on tank therefore Could anyone please point me in the right direction to obtain a Gasket for the sender unit and Fuel plate and also in the case of the worse case Scenario the "Cheapest" place to obtain a "New" fuel tank (75Ltr) Part numbers would be very much appreciated if possible, I would ask for you do do the job for me but I know that is a big ask!  Very Happy Thank's

Peter
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

ahalton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:01    Post subject: Tank Reply with quote

I've done a few of these, so there's no need to panic just yet, wait till I've finished and then panic  Wink

I think there's 6 bolts holding the sender on, unless somebody has snapped the other 3 off.

You have two metal pipes coming out of the sender that connect to the flexi-pipes that go to the engine.  Where the pipes come out, they corrode and leak.

What I've done before is remove the sender, cut the metal pipes off, drill out the old pipes and replace with either copper or stainless pipe.  Use a bulkhead fitting to connect the pipes from inside the tank to the outside.

You will need to make the pipes slightly longer so that you can cut the old flexi-pipes back a bit to remove the fitting.

If you want a new tank and sender you will have to pay £600+ from Mitsubishi.

You could buy a replacement gasket from them, I just clean the old gasket, then use instant gasket.

Get copper microbore from B&Q with the fitting, cost less than a tenner, a couple hours labour.

Sorry if I've not explained it very well, its easier to do it than to explain it  Embarassed

Andrew
bomber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:12    Post subject: Re: Tank Reply with quote

ahalton wrote:
I've done a few of these, so there's no need to panic just yet, wait till I've finished and then panic  Wink

I think there's 6 bolts holding the sender on, unless somebody has snapped the other 3 off.

You have two metal pipes coming out of the sender that connect to the flexi-pipes that go to the engine.  Where the pipes come out, they corrode and leak.

What I've done before is remove the sender, cut the metal pipes off, drill out the old pipes and replace with either copper or stainless pipe.  Use a bulkhead fitting to connect the pipes from inside the tank to the outside.

You will need to make the pipes slightly longer so that you can cut the old flexi-pipes back a bit to remove the fitting.

If you want a new tank and sender you will have to pay £600+ from Mitsubishi.

You could buy a replacement gasket from them, I just clean the old gasket, then use instant gasket.

Get copper microbore from B&Q with the fitting, cost less than a tenner, a couple hours labour.

Sorry if I've not explained it very well, its easier to do it than to explain it  Embarassed

Andrew

Thank's for that Andrew I will pass on that info to my mate who will be doing the job  he will understand fully what you are telling me (I understood most of it)  Smile £600 + From Mitsi ? are there no third party tanks available cheaper than that  Sad  but thank you again for the Info.
Yes your right 6 bolts! (amended my original question)  Embarassed  and those nuts are really tiny!!
Peter
ahalton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:20    Post subject: nuts Reply with quote

8mm AF head, I know because theres a Shogun driving round with my Teng spanner somewhere after I dropped it  Rolling Eyes

Take the cover off and soak them in penetrating oil a couple of days before doing it.  Squirt them a few times.  

The last one I did I used a 6 sided socket and a couple of wobble extention, only snapped one, put a bit more instant gasket on that side  Rolling Eyes

Andrew
bomber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:32    Post subject: Re: post Reply with quote

thanks for all your help mate. Very Happy

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: