Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

adjusting kickdown cable

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnkyte

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOel   ---you havent told us what OD problems you have got

Is Od not working at all?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 20:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Monkey Hanger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I noticed that the kick down cable on my 2.8 Challenger wasn't connected and it looked like it had been like that for quite a while as the 2 adjusting/locking nuts were collar to collar.

I hadn't noticed any problems with either gear changes or kicking down for acceleration, although the wheelspin did seem a touch excessive.

I reconnected the cable and tried to adjust it to 34-35 mm but couldn't get anywhere near that - the least I could get was about 45mm.

I checked at the garage where I bought it and their mechanic, who has worked on dozens of these, reckons you don't need it connecting in this country and, in fact, all the other Paj's they had in didn't have their kick down cables connected either.

I must admit that it seemed to run OK without this cable actually doing anything, and I was wondering if it's another "blank off the EGR valve or not" debate.

Anyway, seeing as mine's now connected, I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if I notice any difference in performance or fuel consumption.
noel

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry john have had several posts on here trying to get to the bottom of it,to cut a long story short after i had some work done to the car (fuel pump adjustment due to smoke)the first time i opened it up it started searching up and down beetween 3rd and overdrive then it went completely,checked solonoid working and earthed it and dropped 200 revs but too much of a coincedence i think.
johnkyte

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noel

Drive car at 50MPH with OD off----now switch on

If revs drop 200 rpm then OD clutch has gone[[mine was ok ,,but failed in an instant,when changing down at 50mph on a steep hill]]  so yes they can fail in an instant

If revs drop by 1000 all is ok

If revs dont drop at all thenOD clutch is probably OK but a fault with electrics

So I am pretty sure that your OD clutch has gone---good luck

If od clutch has gone I would expect filter in bottom of auto box to be full of debris--it could be worth dropping filter to check
noel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks john,reckon im in denial  Laughing  Laughing
Infr137

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point John.

I will try your test later today. Hopefully get Noel & I a step closer the the cause!

R...
Monkey Hanger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

(See my previous post)

I've just found out why I couldn't get the adjustment down to 34-35mm. I'd been mis-reading the instructions. Where it says pull the throttle lever forward, I'd been pulling the actual kick-down lever forward, thinking it was the same. When I tried it by pulling the throttle lever instead, I managed to get the adjustment spot on!

Thought it was worth passing on, just in case there's any more "thickies" out there! Embarassed
SKYMATTY
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the only way to stop erratic kickdown and uneeded change down of gear when going up hills was to disconnect the kickdown cable ... works like a dream for me. gearbox works as normal the only thing i have to do when on a steep hill is switch off the overdrive to drop it down a gear. if you floor it it will still kickdown due to the kickdown switch on the injection pump. I have also found that my mpg has gone up a bit due to the fact it does not change down every time you tap the accelerator ...

Hope this helps

Matty
Monkey Hanger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty, I must admit that mine used to drive OK with the kick down cable disconnected but, as soon as I spotted it (only took me 2 years!) I was determined to put it back to how the manufacturers had intended it to be.

Same as the never ending EGR Blanking issue - why would Mitsubishi bother fitting anything when the vehicle runs better without it? I've never subscribed to the "improved emissions" or "different types of diesel" theories either.

Anyway, my kick down cable is now fitted and adjusted correctly, so I'll see how it goes.
themorb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd share my kickdown experience:  After importing a JDM Pajero last spring, our A/C compressor died.  I found one that fit out of an Acura but while installing it accidently knocked off the kickdown cable (without noticing).  About two weeks later our overdrive stopped working and upon closer inspection I found the disconnected cable.  Apparently we fried some clutches in the transmission and had a $3000 CDN repair bill.

Now I just found that adjusting diagram on here 34-35 mm so I thought I'd check where our transmission shop set ours...  It's more like 45 mm!  But I'm thinking the cables must stretch over time???  Our Pajero is 16 years old.  Anyway the transmission shifts fine and it's under warranty so maybe I should leave it alone!
Monkey Hanger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Morb.

Just a thought, but when I first checked mine using the diagram on this site, the least I could get was 45mm. This was when I pulled the actual kick-down mechanism fully forward.

However, I found some different instructions on an American site and it said to pull the throttle lever forward, not the kick down lever. Try this and I bet it's a lot closer to 34-35mm.

Let me know how you get on?

MH
noel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

am i wrong in thinking they are both connected on a loop Shocked
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

...........if you mean the circular pulley thing ........yes they are  Wink
Monkey Hanger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think my '96 2.8TD Challenger might have a different set up to all your 2.8TD Pajeros.

I know lots of parts are the same, but maybe not all of them?

How're you doing Nick? Have you still got the tyres on? 2 years on Monday since we swapped and I've only done 12,000 miles since then. Embarassed
dpruk

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 0:11    Post subject: Kickdown cable adjustment Reply with quote

Just a quick question, if I narrow the gap from 34mm to say 30mm should that make it more reluctant to kick down?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: