QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Swapping my mk3 for a mk2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brg_jay

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 16:32    Post subject: Swapping my mk3 for a mk2 Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm considering swapping my 2000 MK3 3.2 LWB for a MK2 LWB Paj.. primarily for availability of off-road mods etc, theres either nothing available, or stuff costs a million pounds for the mk3! I cant even find a ladder for the rear door.

Would this be a daft thing for me to even think about?
The car is kind of a second vehicle in the household, but due to the size, we use it to go camping in and what not.  I drive it daily to and from work.

My mind is two-ing and fro-ing with the thought...

Any advice?

Regards
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 16:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never have a MkIII - too complex, and the fuel pump worries me. I also prefer the shape of the MkII.

I will admit that the MkIII is probably more economical and comfortable though. It is also likely to be faster than the MkII (but most things are!)
h4rri

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally it seems the Mk2 suits your needs better than the Mk3 so why not go for it Smile
White Elephant

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

...it's a mk1 that you need  Laughing

Mk2s are awful (so I've heard  Rolling Eyes ) and I take it the mk3 just has added complications  Confused

Who needs more than 24mpg and 55mph  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Edit:

On a more serious note (and a newbie one, so advance apologies if I'm wrong) but isn't a mk1 a cost effective contender? I mean they are even cheaper than mk2s and better off road (so I've heard  Laughing ). Off road mods are plentiful and cheaper too?

Why not keep they mk3 and get a mk1 to off-road and go camping in?

AL
Brg_jay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the only things putting me off is that my mk3 is completely rust free underneath, like off the production line clean - it's only been in the country for a couple of years. I dont want to be swapping myself into a whole world of hurt with chassis rust etc.

I gather that's the problem with mk2's - if I'm wrong, then that's my fears alleviated  Very Happy

I wish I could afford another car as well as mine, but I can't really justify that to the Mrs!
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how a MkII has been treated by previous owners.

There are some that are rusting into dust and others like mine with minimal rust.

I think that your MkIII is probably unusual - lots of pics on here showing rusty wheel arches etc,

Mk1's don't have SuperSelect - so that rules them out for me ( same with Shogun Sports)
Brg_jay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

May stick it on the Facebook group, see what happens!
scoots

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 19:44    Post subject: mk3 Reply with quote

u can have my mk2
titan

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i thought i had made a mistake when i got the mk4 for the same reasons but..

the more i read, play and research the less i feel so. having been in the game of getting muddy for years and i have had everything from a £1k disco to a £20k off road buggy the new 4x4's are very capable. yes you cant get a lift kit and cant do a body lift but then do you need to?? i went out with my mates in there buggies and did everything they did and without needed to even think about locking at all. a good set of tyres and a bit of reading into the TC/ASC and the center diff and its will go anywhere you need it too in the uk.

retro fitting things like ladders and stuff is the fun bit.

personally i like the new models now and the Independent suspension and all the new toys make it fun.
White Elephant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:

Mk1's don't have SuperSelect - so that rules them out for me ( same with Shogun Sports)

Forgive my impertinence but is that just because you can't be bothered to anticipate needing 4 wheel drive?  Laughing

Or is it sometimes you just wake up having gone thru a fence into a field and you need 4 wheel drive on the fly?  Laughing

(The latter actually could be useful zzzzzz... Aargh!  Shocked )

I guess some people like more things automated, I personally don't. For e.g. I just can't get on with automatic transmissions, especially those in the mk2 diesel  Shocked
tom fenton
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

No super select equals no centre diff equals no use of 4x4 on the road. I discount anything like that also. In winter I run my shogun in 4H, the road holding improvement is very evident from the drivers seat.
White Elephant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
I'm so glad i edited my previous post to remove the bit about betting it's some swanky centre diff such and such hahah

Oh and also the bit about having not found any condition in the mk1 in 4w mode that a skilled driver couldn't manage in 2w mode  Embarassed

That could've been a major faux pas  Laughing

Edit: it'll be interesting to see how many times I end up facing the wrong way on icy roads this winter in a rwd truck  Shocked  

But then again if it's anything less than 3" of snow I will probably be using (and from long experience, being entirely safe in) the sensible fwd vw sharan. It will always start, run, stop and get through almost every 'road' condition. When the routes become so obscured they are no longer 'roads' I have my mk1  Cool

Horses for courses, and as far as I know, horses do not have super select or digital electrickery.... Do they  Shocked ?
jonny ramrod

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have their own version of 4wd though  Very Happy
NJV6

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off Road- Gen 2 without a doubt. Underbody is protected and strong, parts are easy to replace, diff locks easy to find, don't worry about bashing it. The last of the gen 1's are basically a gen 2 (coil sprung) but without the interior comfort of the gen 2.

On road, - gen 3-4 without a doubt, more vulnerable underneath, low fuel tank, plastic bash plates, rear bumper waiting to be pulled off, cannot fit as big a wheels, body lifts near on impossible, but corners and handling is unreal, trade off for this handling and steering is more road noise on tarmac especially with mud tyres, the gen 2 is much quieter.

Super Select, known as one of the best transfer cases on the planet for good reason.
Rob546454

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the mk3's but I am rebuilding a mk2 for good reasons. Simple, easy enough to work on. Parts are pretty cheap, better off-road and tougher, More fun to drive. Easier to bash, bump, scrape and drill holes into Very Happy Wouldn't fancy going underwater in anything with more than basic electrics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / etc - non-technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: