Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

HELP PLEASE...rear driveshaft poping out of diff...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YOZA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 21:18    Post subject: HELP PLEASE...rear driveshaft poping out of diff... Reply with quote

Hello, I have a 2000 Pajero 3.2 DiD auto LWB.

The rear passenger side driveshaft keeps poping out of the diff, dropping diff oil all over my path.

I have tried knocking the shaft back into the diff which is easy to do, but after a day or two it pops out again.

Can someone tell me what holds it in place.

I believe there is a snap ring and spacer on the wheel end of the shaft, but what holds the shaft into the diff end ?

Can someone explain what holds the unit in position.

Thanks..............picture would be appreciated.

Later Yoza
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 21:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

more x 4
Shining Star
Shining Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is indeed a snap ring that holds the shaft in,and it shouldn't be able to move....i think you've lost something Shocked
waynec
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drive shaft is bolted to a companion shaft witch goes into the diff - these companion shafts have a small clip on them - these clips are to small - if you go to your local dealer they will supple you with modifed companion shafts,(known fault) very easy to replace - just remove all bolts from around inner drive shaft - pull down shaft and knock out companion shaft.  Wink
YOZA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Companion shaft ?

Does this mean I can remove 6 bolts from the companion shaft to the driveshaft and access the offending snap ring without taking the whole drive shaft off ?

I hope so.

Keep the ideas coming Im missing my truck.
waynec
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - just remove 6 bolts and pull shaft down - go to your local dealer - the new companion shafts are modifed.
YOZA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...... I shall speak to them tomorrow although I have already explained my problem and the guy on the end of the phone was unaware that there was a snap ring on the diff end of the drveshaft.

Maybe if i mention companion shaft he will know what  am on about.

What sort of money are these modified companion shafts, any idea ?
waynec
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell them there a newsletter on this problem - they should be aware these - I have done loads. Hope This Has Been Of Some Help.
waynec
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S I am not shaw on the price - sorry.
YOZA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your time......

Pity you dont live round the corner, you could have done mine in exchange for a wad of beer tokens.

There is a picture of the offending shaft in readers drives under My new Pajero, but its posted too small to see the problem.

But I think you know what the fault is anyway.

Cheers
Ivor Green

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

waynec
how are you mate ?

would it help if you could get the guy the copy of the newsletter , I am not sure if is for Mitzy staff eyes only , but you could always PM him . as for the dealer they along with nearly every dealer I know is aware of there problem I was refitting these like they were going out of fashion last summer , Veitchmaster in tec used to ring me and we were trying to see if it was the clip or the shaft , we came to the conclusion that it was a bit of both ,

still sounds like you are on the case .speak soon mate .
YOZA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and guidance.

I bought and fitted my new up rated companion shaft today.....£80.76

If anyone else needs one just buy the up rated snap ring, as the shaft is identical to the original, but the snap ring is 0.25mm thicker.

The snap ring is £3.... Mad

I tried the bigger up rated snap ring in the original shaft and it does fit in the machined recess/groove.

I have ordered a new up rated ring for the other side and will replace it just incase.

Remember when this shaft pops out you will not hear any noise, or feel any vibration, and unless your under the car you will not see it popped out.

But you will lose all your diff oil and if driven this will *beeb* up you diff which is expensive as we all know.

So have a little look under your car, for a gap between the end of the drive shaft/companion shaft and the diff.

Other tell tale signs are drips of oil on the path, and oil splatter around drive shaft/diff area.

I will post pictures and part numbers when I next venture into my garage, its -2 and baltic at the moment so Im still thawing out.

Cheer Yoza
YOZA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shaft is 3715A083 SHAFTASSYRRAXLE £80.65

The up rated ring is  33198 UPRATSNAPRINGSHFT £3.04

Also read post linked below.......
starship

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 16:11    Post subject: prop shaft popping out Reply with quote

surely this should come under a recall
Ivor Green

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the vehicle of been imported by the Colt car company UK, and it was a recall, then it would be done, as of yet there as far as I am aware no plans for UK vehicles to be recalled, so it's unlikely for Pajero's to be recalled.

Don't want to get into the argument's about Grey imports but just to say once again the vehicles were never meant to leave the shores of Japan, they were designed to live there, very short user life 3 to 5 years, and so they are subject to Japan's manufacturers rules and regs .there problems were dealt with there, or would have had they still been there

Whilst I no longer work in the Mitzy franchise I do still understand how they, who have not brought the vehicle in , made no prophet out of it , and not likely to are expected to pick up the can for a vehicle that may or may not be there responsibility .  Remember they are only franchise holders (Colt cars ) just like Mc Donald’s or KFC , ok it is a poor comparison but truthful , if you buy a TV from Curry's or Comet , and it goes wrong in the warranty period ,then you simply return it to the shop , if your warranty runs out you then have to complain the manufacturer, so the same applies with Grey imports ,  be it Mitzy , Toyota , Nissan .

Unfortunately      as Colt cars uk are the uk importer it falls on there shoulders to try to sort it out, so please remember before you shout off about poor service and attitude, imagine it was you on the phone for the umpteenth time in the day answering the same question, some folk very pleasant and some not so, and I have been in customer services when the calls came in and we can be very unpleasant when we want here in the UK.

OK rant over.
Mike terra

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to tell Ivor Green what I did with my 3.2 Did companion shaft popping out problem. Soon after I got the car this problem occured, I was unaware of the changes and it looked to me that the problem had something to do with excess negative camber when loaded. I readjusted the neg' camber to be 0.05 degree positive unladen then fitted an air helper kit so that the same body height thus drive shaft angle is maintained no matter the load. Companion shaft has never 'popped' again in 40 000 k's.

Mike Terra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: