Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Oily EGR!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Lewis Mob

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a common problem this Crying or Very sad

When i blocked off my EGR at the weekend, i noticed a small trace of dirty oil around where I had fitted the plate after a test run - bu##er I thought, should have used some jointing compound when I put the plate on. Trouble is, cant do anything until this weekend to rectify it.

Since then, the thought has been mulling in my head that surely there should not be this amount of oil present in the first place, and does this mean trouble?

any ideas why this happens - apart from the dreaded valve guides etc, would be very well recieved. Before fitting the plate, there was never any oil present around the EGR, nor does my Paj smoke, fart or grumble when started first thing.

looking forward to hearing more views on this one.

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 17:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

ade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trig,
Does the oil level go down on the dipstick much between services?

I`m sure I read In the forums here somewhere that a blocked pipe causes your oily egr. Was something to do with the turbo not breathing properly and sucking the oil out the motor.
can`t for the life of me find it though.....

btw only suspect stem seals if you get a BIG plume of smoke when starting from cold (left overnight) or a couple of days.

if your oil control rings had gone, so would yer engine, usually fatal on diesels. revs to oblivion until something breaks!

hmmm back to searching ...........ATB
Trig

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Chirchir wrote:
hallo Trig
You've not updated us on your problem.......

I have done so m8 Wink .... last Sunday! but you may have not seen it!! It's in the Tech. FAQ http://www.pocuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8434

Thanks Paul for the idea Idea will get my shirt dirty soon Very Happy .... After cleaning the EGR valve & blocking it (+ increasing diesel pumping) the Paj feels better and smoother to drive! I do NOT believe there is any difference on the mpg, NEITHER on the pulling power up hills

Ade, the Paj does leak... I think a minor one as I only top her up with 1-2 litres between services and I am happier this way than having to have the leak sorted cause this involves removing gearbox...etc.

Lewismob, ... in my humble view, if the insertion of the blanking plate changed the performance to the worst, then take it out Idea... One possible reason for the sudden oil appearance is the oil leaking through the BOLT holes... Exclamation

Tell us what happens chaps Very Happy
The Lewis Mob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

trig,

to be honest, there is no real difference with mine with the EGR blocked, apart from a slightly more sustained accelaration in the middle gears / revs.

I had the EGR blocked off with a golf tee for several weeks awaiting the plate via the club, and no obvious oil marks were noted around the EGR until i fitted the plate. Now there are "weeps" of oil around the plate - nothing more, but this indicates the presence of a significant amount of oil within the EGR.

My concern is, was this oil there anyway, or has something changed by fitting the EGR plate - I cant think that it could have , but you never know, and does this indicate anything more sinister.

Again, either with it blocked or not, we get next to no smoke on start up, and when running at opperating temp, nothing at all.

Curious to know what is causing it is all - like to understand how / why things work etc.

cheers

Paul
Trig

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLewisMob, I think that oil was THERE before... with the valve being blocked off, more of the oil traces collect and show more than before!! You can stop it sjhowing by applying some silicon seal on the plate before tightening the bolts Idea
PeteMillis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now here's a thought......is it definitely oil or could it be wet diesel soot/crud? It seems that it would be more likely for exhaust gases to leak though a slightly imperfect seal than it would for oil and I can't for the life of me think why oil would be there anyway. If there was oil getting into the cylinders then it would leave them by the easiest route which is via the exhaust - it would NOT be forced out of the cylinders via the inlet manifold I reckon the best bet is to whack some high temp silicone sealant on each side of the blanking plate before putting it in then no exhaust gases can get through.
Another thought is that one of the things that most improves performance is a better power to weight ratio. Why not reduce the weight by dumping the EGR valve in the bin, blocking the vacuum pipe and blanking off the hole left in the inlet manifold?
Bear in mind all of you that Exhaust Gas Recirc reduces emissions of nasty photochemical fog causing compounds.....
Pete
The Lewis Mob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

you could be right about the diesel oil, crud, soot thing - just assumed it was oil. Already planning to put some instant gasket carefully around the mating surfaces on the weekend to see if this solves it?

trouble is, now I have seen the "crud", makes me want to know what, why, where, how, etc - am I sad or what?

Cheers

Paul.
Mystery Machine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Been watching this post with some interest.....would like to find out how my 'oily' EGR got so messy, and you've all raised some interesting points!! 8)

I'm having a service, all new belts and pulleys done on Fri (along with tappet adjustment and new upper gaskets) I'll ask the chap about the 'oil' on the EGR and see what he says (and of course I'll let you know what he says!)

The only thing I'm concerned about is the amount of smoke mine throws out on start-up!! Embarassed It's no different since fitting the EGR plate, but always assumed it's a 'characteristic' of the engine!! It runs REALLY well, and all seems OK when it's 'cleared it's lungs', it's just after reading your comments, I hope it's nothing more sinister!! Confused

By the way, the blanking plate has made little difference to power, but it drives a lot more smoothly and progression between gears is better, and the MPG is very slightly improved, but when you're getting 24MPG instead of 23, this isn't going to save me too much money!!! Rolling Eyes

Regards,

Bruce.
charlieisleofwight

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 21:52    Post subject: ???egr??? Reply with quote

Can someone tell me what the egr valves purpose is and why is everbody blanking them off ????
Regards charlie
PeteMillis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve is an emissions control device that reduces emission of nitrogen compounds in the exhaust. These compounds are known to be the main cause of photochemical smog in cities (this is the modern day smog that irritates lungs and other mucous membranes and is possibly carcinogenic). However, some people believe that recirculating exhaust gases increases soot in the diesel and reduces power so blank them off. It may be that blanking off a dirty EGR could reduce soot as soot will not get blown out of it every time the foot is put down and the EGR allows exhaust to recirculate into the inlet manifold. My problem is that I am a scientist and as far as I have seen there is no conclusive evidence that blanking it off improves performance and/or fuel consumption. Many people say it does but nobody has committed a vehicle to a dyno to prove it!
I'm considering blanking mine off to experiment but want to do it step by step and when funds allow me to get the motor on a dyno. The only way to tell what's going on is to 1. stick the motor on a dyno to get a baseline reading and measure emissions, 2. clean the EGR internally to make sure it's working as it should be 3. stick the motor on a dyno again and remeasure emissions, 4. blank off the EGR 5. repeat step 3.
Then probably find there's no significant difference in anything except an increase in nitrogen compounds!
I'd be interested to see any dyno runs that anyone's done so far. I just feel that it's a bit futile trying to improve the performance of a lump of diesel engine that's designed to chug along. A very small change in driving style is going to a far bigger effect.
Pete
Trig

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteMillis wrote:
Now here's a thought......is it definitely oil or could it be wet diesel soot/crud?...

May be... well hopefully Confused ... I remember when I droped the EGR valve into the transparent kerosine... the kerocine almost INSTANTLY turned into black!! If it was oil, would this happen!! May be not!!

Where's IVOR Question ... I am sure he KNOWS the answer Wink

It does look like oil though... see?

Mystery Machine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 23:16    Post subject: Re: ???egr??? Reply with quote

charlieisleofwight wrote:
Can someone tell me what the egr valves purpose is and why is everbody blanking them off ????
Regards charlie

Charlie,

Many claim that blanking the EGR will increase power, improve economy and reduce smoke from the exhaust!

I can certainly vouch that a lot less smoke is clogging Bristol since fitting mine 8) , however I have not noticed any real increase in performance Sad , although MPG is marginally improved!! Very Happy

The main difference I've noticed is how much smoother and more responsive the machine feels since doing the mod.

I've done a quick search and found this quote from Jimmy which briefly explains how the EGR works and what it does. If you need any more detail, do a search under EGR and have fun reading the pages & pages on the topic!! Laughing Laughing

"The EGR valve or Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve allows exhaust gas into the air intake. The reason for doing this is that it reduces the temperature of combustion and the level of NOx (oxides of nitrogen) that are output. NOx is a cause of acid rain and so lower levels are a good thing (especially if your a tree). However in our Pajeros the EGR valve usually due to being sooted up and not functioning correctly causes a lot of smoke which is made up of soot particulates and aggravate respiratory problems like asma, so blocking it off to stop this is also a good thing....

My understanding of the MOT for our Diesels is that they look at the smoke out put and not the NOx levels so blocking it may help pass the MOT (mine is blocked and sails through it's MOT).

As an aside I would block the EGR valve by replacing the gasket where the exhaust enters it with a solid plate. Only blocking the vacuum tube will mean if your EGR valve is faulty ie not closing properly) you will still have gases recirculating and I also noticed that the valve vents to the atmosphere spreadign soot around your engine bay if you bock the output from the valve to the intake manifold....

Hope this is all clear "

This should shed some light on the issue for you? Very Happy

Regards,

Bruce.

P.S. Pete was obviously working on the answer to this at the same time - and BEAT ME TO IT!! Nice answer Pete - when the funds allow, would love to see the findings of this??
colin houlding

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do everyone worry about a little oil, if the levels not going down unduly and its not smoking when hot think of the oil as a rust stopper, as it will never rust around that area. Mine has oil on it and i just wipe it off when ever i check the oil level, I never think about bangs or things like that because i like to keep my blood pressure down and my bank balance up for the more important things in life. I have blocked mine off and it do make a slight difference to performance and fuel consumption 30mpg at 65 mph
Colin H Very Happy
Metnav1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

EGR valve in a deisel does the same thing as in a petrol car.

They get dirty with exhaust, and malfunction.

Normally they allow exhaust back into the engine to help warm up the mixture, and reburn over rich exhaust.

Deisel is messy stuff to start with, and when the engine is cold even worse.

This is when the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) allows the exhaust through.

This will cause oily half burnt deisel through, and cause oily deposits (deisel is oil)

Also because deisel is messy the valve will get clogged and malfuntion rapidly (compared to a petrol car)

The normal malfunction is to not seal properly.

This would cause incorrect running during normal operation. Less power, poor MPG, and poor combustion (Black smoke)

So if the EGR is working, there is no real gain from blanking.

But deisel EGRs malfuction more often than not, so blanking them is common practice.

As far as emmissions go; you will be better off with a blanked EGR than a malfunctioning one.

As my favourite mechanic said, "They're more trouble than they're worth"
PeteMillis

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As far as emmissions go; you will be better off with a blanked EGR than a malfunctioning one.

As my favourite mechanic said, "They're more trouble than they're worth"

Good point Metnav - but there again a clean working one is better than a blanked one is it not? And thinking about it, the "they're more trouble than they're wirth" sentiment depends on how people value the environment.
Here's another thought - cranking up the diesel pump as people do increases the unburnt diesel in the exhaust. It is the crud from this that will then cause the EGR to become dirty and malfunction. Peeps will then blame the EGR for lack of performance when in all probablility it's the upping the diesel flow rate that has caused the problem in the first place. I still stand by what I first said that probably the best way to improve economy, reduce black smoke and maintain best performance is to have the diesel pump set correctly, clean the EGR and drive with a sympathetic right foot.
I know that on my motorcycle (KTM200EXC 2 stroke enduro bike) that if I run a rich mixture the bike feels smoother on acceleration but within a matter of hours the power valve assembly is full of only partially burned gummy fuel/oil mix, the spark plug gets fouled and the performance suffers as a result. If I jet the carb properly then the acceleration doesn't feel so smooth but it is in fact much much quicker. I know a diesel is different from a 2 stroke petrol bike but they do both need fuel/air mix to be optimised for best combustion efficiency.
Bloody'ell I do ramble on sometimes but hey, that's life Very Happy
Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EGR Valve Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: