2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

fuel pump seal - DIY info needed please

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon_W

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

vijay wrote:
what fuel filter did you fit, not a Milners one by any chance?

....and did you remove the 'extra' seal, which can be a source of air ingress. The water trap at the base, if not sealing properly, can also allow air in.

It's definitely worth eliminating air in the fuel supply being the cause of the poor running before going to the trouble of removing the pump and replacing the front seal.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 18:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

sam_marshall1

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
vijay wrote:
what fuel filter did you fit, not a Milners one by any chance?

....and did you remove the 'extra' seal, which can be a source of air ingress. The water trap at the base, if not sealing properly, can also allow air in.

It's definitely worth eliminating air in the fuel supply being the cause of the poor running before going to the trouble of removing the pump and replacing the front seal.

No it was a Boshi fuel filter I used (part of a set), I will check if the rubber seal is removed (I dont remember specifically removing one at the time we fitted it). However if this is the case it is strange that I am only getting the issue now approx 12mths since I fitted the filter. Yes I totally agree with you - given the size of the job I want to eliminate all other avenues before removing the fuel pump. I will try and check this as well as the air bubbles in the fuel this weekend.
vijay

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milners supply Boshi and Simon is quite right in having to remove the metal/rubber inner seal
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use Boshi fuel filters from Milners - they do have an extra rubber ring near the centre hole but they don't have the metal cage around it and they have always sealed fine on my truck with the seal left on.

You maybe have to tighten them up a bit more than you normally would.
vijay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
I always use Boshi fuel filters from Milners - they do have an extra rubber ring near the centre hole but they don't have the metal cage around it and they have always sealed fine on my truck with the seal left on.

Strange, mine always used to have to metal cage around the seal
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

vijay wrote:

I think the Boshi filters always have the extra cage + O-ring fitted. As per the right hand item in the well-used photo below. Smile The filter on the left is a Mitsubishi branded item. If the cage is removed from the Boshi filter, the thread is exposed and the fitting looks exactly like the Mitsi one.

Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:

I think I recall you saying that you used a wrench to tighten the filter, and also that you removed the filter base from the bulkhead when doing the change. You're probably applying enough force to crush the cage.

I've always hand-tightened filters and haven't found the need to remove the housing. I've never had a problem with air ingress to the filter. Apart from the first time I changed it, when I hadn't realised that the cage needed to be removed.  Wink
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
vijay wrote:

I think the Boshi filters always have the extra cage + O-ring fitted.

I have just looked at my spare one and I stand corrected - it has a cage .... I've never removed it though.
sam_marshall1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I decided to go for a different manufacturer this time around - hoping this is as good as if not better:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151546456420?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_768wt_1190

BTW is this a suitable kit should it end up being the case that the fuel pump seal does need replacing?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Total-SEAL-KIT-Inc-All-O-rings-Needed-Mitsubishi-SHOGUN-DIESEL-Fuel-PUMP-2-8-/321826316507?hash=item4aee57e0db#ht_2903wt_1141
sam_marshall1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine had a paj and he used to get a mate of his to do the work on it - hes said he'd fit my fuel pump seal for £60 if it needs doing! Smile
vijay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's incredibly cheap, unless you're an expert like Mark, it's at least 1/2 days work. Has he done the job before??
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam the only seal you need is available from TT automotive in Leicestershire at less than £2 delivered next day  Very Happy

Book time for a pump seal change is around 3.5 hours, many people take a day or two to do it so at £60 whoever is doing it don't value there time very highly OR has this job mixed up with another  Shocked
sam_marshall1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I'm fitting the fuel filter now, I think mine is one with the cage on and also comes with another small oring that was separate in the box. Do I need to remove the cage or any of the orings already on the filter?
vijay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say yes to removing the cage. The O ring is probably for the water trap on the bottom
sam_marshall1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

vijay wrote:
I'd say yes to removing the cage. The O ring is probably for the water trap on the bottom

Hi, I did that and you were right - the O-ring was for the water trap - so the fuel filter is now fitted without the cage and my problem with starting from cold is still happening Sad. I dont know if it was happening before and I didnt notice it but when I get into the cab in the morning I swear I can smell diesel?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: