QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Cats??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K2EDG

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 22:38    Post subject: Cats?? Reply with quote

Hi all.

My question is fairly simple, i have a K reg 3.0 petrol uk shogun and have just had the engine rebuilt, in the proses they have damaged my exhaust SO.. i'm thinking of getting a Stainless system made for it. Now they have asked if i want it with or without Cat (there is quite a price diffrence so if it will pass an MOT without and run of i would like to go that way?

What do you think? would it pass an MOT with no cat fitted? or is it just not worth the chance its going to fail?

Cheers..
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 22:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

markppearson

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends how ur ecu is set-up, ie Lamba sensors are used to monitor the emissions an then the fuel/air mix.
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the Original Cat  and ask them tomake the 'zorst with a detachable bit where the Cat should sit ......come MOT time  put the Cat back on ............but when they make the exhaust for you ..you MUST have the first sensor ..or it will play Havoc with the ECU and Lamda sensor

HTH Wink
buffalos neph
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi what year is the car because any car before 1993 k does not need a cat anthing after needs to have a cat mot requirements

matt Laughing  Laughing
K2EDG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick the nurse wrote:
............but when they make the exhaust for you ..you MUST have the first sensor ..or it will play Havoc with the ECU and Lamda sensor

Where does this sensor usaly live? (is it in the down pipe or further up the exhaust?)

BTW i'm going to get them to do as you suggested, make a decat pipe and keep my original one for MOT days (sounds like a plan)

Will there be any advantage of running it without a cat? I spoke to the guy who's doing it today and he said there planning on making it
2.5" with a single center box but there saying it won't be too loud?? Anyway i can't wait to see what it feels like with a fresh motor in Smile just need to get hold of a Gear selector bush now (which is still proving elusive)
K2EDG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

buffalos neph wrote:
hi what year is the car because any car before 1993 k does not need a cat anthing after needs to have a cat mot requirements

matt Laughing  Laughing

I'm fairly sure its a 93 but isn't k 92-93 anyway??
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front of the Cat just after it joins from the down pipe .second one is at the back of the Cat  Wink
K2EDG

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit of an update, I had the Exhaust made and fitted and all was well...... the next bit your going to love, MOT day... Forgets all about not having a cat fitted so it fails on emitions , Ok so i go home and put the cat on and give it some stick down our local duel carriage way then i dropped it back with them. So it fails again!!

So now i admit there was some panicing going on and lots of reading.  i've run some engine flush through it and changed the oil (plus plugs etc), put some injector cleaner in it, and given it some more stick Smile  But i'm now thinking maybe the Lambda sensor?? or something like that?? (i've always thought the exhaust smells like its running very rich)

I have to admit though i'm feeling really sick. i've spent twice what the things worth and now i can't even get it through an MOT.
cssuk

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

lambda sensor wifes vtech did the same that has no cat either or the cats fubared does it rattle when shaken? btw if you have lpg wont need a cat mines a 4.2 patrol with lpg full 3" stainless custom made no cat and 0 emissions  :D
K2EDG

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say for sure its not the cat. i had a hiflo cat made up today by the guys who did my Stainless exhaust (was planning on leaving it on)

Anyway that didn't help?  

This is the last Emitions print out.
cssuk

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say lambda or cold start circuit is pooped lambda tends to bring the check light on
K2EDG

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just putting away some of the receipts and noticed that this car had a new cat just before i got it? (the MOT before i bought the car) which is really weired as the Exhaust guys said that is was in poor condition (lots of carbon build up)

So i guess i'm going to fit a new 02 sensor. I think it would benefit from a set of plug leads (its got cheap and nasty hot wire ones on) but it idles ok? so that may not be the cause.

BTW i have just read that an OE Lambda sensor is £400 from Mitsubishi Shocked so i'm thinking about getting a Universal one, But out of interest is all Lambda sensors the same? (as long as they have the same number of wires) i only say this as i have a few Vauxhall four wire sensors? could one of those be tweaked to fit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: