2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Manual Pre heat system and Budget glow plugs - caution

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigt1677

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:57    Post subject: Manual Pre heat system and Budget glow plugs - caution Reply with quote

Hi Y'all,

Thought I would share this experience with everybody as it may be relevant.

Paj hesitant to pick up on all 4 cylinders in the mornings, so decided to change glow plugs.
My Paj has the manual system retro fitted and I usually give it between 6 - 10 seconds preheat. Plugs already in were 6.2 volt type with the green band around the top ( make unknown ).

I replaced them with the fast start budget pattern plugs from the club shop - around 10 seconds pre-heat and the engine literally shot into life - great thought I.

Next time I came to start the engine ( after fitting new water pump and checking timing belts ) it just did not want to start, so after a lot of back tracking and checking the timing was ok - I found the glow plugs had burnt out - all 4 of them!  Sad

Checked with Simon that there has been no history of defective plugs from this source and between us have come to the conclusion that perhaps these plugs are not suitable for the manual pre heat system and that they only be used for the automated system still controlled by an ECU.

Put the old plugs back in ( after replacing the duff one ) and all is fine again. So the moral here seems to be, if you have the manual preheat button, always use the more expensive green top plugs.

hope this may be of use to someone.

Trev
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

with manual pre heat button, I woudl go straight for teh 12volt ones anyway, regardless.
bigt1677

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richie,

with hindsight true.  Alas I read somewhere on here that 12 volt was a waste of time and that the 6v ones were better - still we live and learn dont we ...lol ??

cheers
administrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the write-up trev thumbleft thumbright

One conclusion, not mentioned, is that, if you do have a manual system, BEFORE you put the plugs in, get the jump leads out and test each plug ...

The tip should start to glow orange (cherry red ??) after around 5 seconds ... not more ... make a note of the time it takes and use the manual pre-heat button for NO LONGER than the LEAST time recorded for any of the plugs - this way, you'll be certain that you won't accidentally burn the plugs out by over-heating them, by leaving the button pushed for too long.

On our normally working, fast-start 2.5, (with 6.2V plugs), the initial clicks from the glow-relay are around 3-4 seconds apart, even on a cold day ... then, after a few more seconds, I get the fast click-click repeating - on a day like today - maybe just a couple of times ... during the winter, it can be for some time.

This is a good opportunity for a heads-up on the plugs though ...

The pattern plugs in the Club Shop are all very good, BUT - they're designed to work with the original glow-system AND - there's that odd problem that we never got to the bottom of - Why do SOME fast-start 2.5's refuse to work with ANY pattern plugs, but ALWAYS work with OEM dontknow

Simon
bigt1677

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies Simon,

you are quite right  - I forgot to add testing the plugs with a jump lead.

Lesson learned - I now only give the button 4-5 seconds maximum. Alas I was told by the previous owner to give it 10 secs so naturally you do, dont you!!

Cheers eveyone
Trev.
chris uk

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wondering why is it recommended to change all the glow plugs ? and not just the dodgy one  Question
martdebs

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine are manual can anybody tell me how manytimes i should do this b4 trying to start up?
has when i try start the battery dies
seems to take ages to start Evil or Very Mad
administrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

martdebs wrote:
mine are manual can anybody tell me how manytimes i should do this b4 trying to start up?
has when i try start the battery dies
seems to take ages to start Evil or Very Mad

Once Rolling Eyes

Simon thumbup
martdebs

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

iv just got meself a new battery  
cost £97   Crying or Very sad   halfords ripoff artists
left truck for a few hours did switch twice for 5 secounds
started first time ill try once in the morning
thanks
moodymann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 19:15    Post subject: Glow plug system Reply with quote

Can someone please explain the way the cold start system works please.
Why do the relays click repeatedly and why initially do they stay on for such a short amount of time. My Peugeot 405 estate ones stay on 28 seconds and are supposed to do that.
Seems odd they are only on for 3 or 4 seconds...
Cheers
MM
chrispajero

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because it's french designed, they're never in a rush to do anything the lazy frogs Laughing
insertnamehere

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to raise an old thread but the 405 glowplug system should never stay on for 28seconds!!!  Surprised   The most they ever stayed on on both my 405 & 205 XUD lumps, plus the XUD in my mates old van, was 6 seconds & this was sufficient to start even on -5 winter mornings provided the glowplugs were in good nick (strangely enough, with the XU engine all glowplugs being in working order also makes hot starting better.  The 205 plugs were knackered & hot or cold took 2 heats & 5+ sec cranking to catch but on the 405 with new plugs you only had to flick the key for under a second to start hot or cold)
insertnamehere

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant edit post, what I also meant to say was that the reason they only stay on for a short time on the Paj (as with most diesels) is because properly functioning glowplugs are meant to come up to temperature in that time & hence would overheat & burn out sooner if they stayed powered up for longer.
paulmitsi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:30    Post subject: my mitsi is not starting well Reply with quote

Question is, the battery died, the alternator died, sorted these now new glow plugs, still apig to start

where is the manual switch for the plugs

I can hear the relays coming in but how do i know they are orange

its a 2.5 1991 import, what should i be looking for?

thanks

ps the battery is now dying quick since it takes an age to start!!

pps when its been running, it starts no problem
DawnH
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there....you have to fit the manual glow plug switch/button yourself Wink

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76976&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: