Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Banksy - is it art?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> POCUK lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you woke one morning and found a 'Banksy' on your House or garage, would you...
Keep it
28%
 28%  [ 15 ]
Remove it
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Take a picture, then remove it
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
find a way of flogging it
43%
 43%  [ 23 ]
Call the local Press
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Call the Police
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
Not sure.... try me!
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 53

Brownie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:41    Post subject: Banksy - is it art? Reply with quote

Some of you may of heard of him, many won't have.....

Banksy is an 'anonymous' artist/street artist that comes from the Bristol area and tags here and there..... to a very high standard.

Some of his work is changing hands for lots of money, one geezer/traveller from Norfolk was on our local news the other night expecting loads of dosh for part of his 'home', a trailer which had at one time been parked at the Glastonbury Festival, and had a Banksy mural on the side of it (signed).

The picture below is a quality bit of work from a wall in Glastonbury. Unfortunately the nice bit of work is no more! Some local Chav sprayed his 'tag' in the gap between the Policeman and the girl, then the wall owner, in his wisdom, decided to cover the whole thing.... with white plaster! Shocked  He claims that he didn't know that the drawing was a Banksy (even though it was signed). What a loss! Sad

I, like most people am totally against your normal everyday 'street-art-graffiti-vandalism', kids with a can of 'montezuma red' or 'iceberg blue', spraying some dodgy 'anarchy' sign on anything flat and vertical, but let's face it, artists like Banksy exhume quality, and I would be proud to have one on my garden fence panels. Cool

For a bit of fun, I have added the Poll above (we don't have enough Polls! Wink ) Please make your choice! Very Happy

Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

kylecollie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil grab him by the balls then kick his aris up the street for drawing on my bloody property Twisted Evil
leebeelee123
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a way of flogging it or flogging him to within an inch of his life?
The latter for me I'm afraid! Wink  Laughing  Laughing
Onan The Barbarian
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... tough call! Confused

Strictly speaking, graffiti is antisocial behaviour (one of our beloved government's flavours of the month), so we all ought to be appalled by this flagrant breach of the law... and, if it was committed by an anonymous (but obviously talented) young person in a hoodie, that's exactly what everyone would see it as! Rolling Eyes

I actually really like his stuff... I love his sense of humour / irony / anarchy / outrage... but it seems some people are to not too keen...

(from www.banksy.co.uk )
oggie1
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's done a couple around Liverpool as well,they were featured on the local news and were really good Wink
I personally would keep it.

Chris Wink
minesapasty
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he did it on the wall of my house....... personally, I would shove the paint brush/aerosol can up his arris

He may be gifted as an artist, but painting it on someone else's property without permission results in criminal damage....... and what happens as the result is his own problem.
Baddoo
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graffiti when done properly can look really good and there are some talented artists that can do amazing things with a spray can but If its done without permission and you don't want it might as well be something like this either way I'd want to put my foot where the sun doesn't shine unless it was a truly amazing piece of art.
Mental Mike
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Virgo
Location: Deepest Buckinghamshire. 1993 2.5L SWB Diesel Auto.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool  One thing that can be said for Banksy's work is that it is vastly better than some of the carp that we, as Tax Payers, get lumbered with paying for in the 'Tate Modern' or by Demented Local Councils to put outside their Offices  Exclamation   If only they could be persuaded that "Man Filling a POTHOLE" is a Work of Art, then some of the money that is ripped off us Motorists might be spent on the Roads  blob6
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very valid point Mike  Wink
pauliexjr
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

My job takes me to Germany from time to time, by comparison we get away very lightly in the UK, everything there is covered in graffiti, walls, roofs, bridges, even the trains themselves and it's not just one or two cities, Dusseldorf, Cologne, Stuttgart, even Bonn. I am amazed at the lengths these vandals will go to to get their 'tag' onto an inaccessible surface!

Personally I don't care if it's Banksy or Monet, I'd still shove his aerosol up his aersol!
SHED
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

its wrong but its clever,i used to be into graffiti in a big way,but it is a crime no matter who paints it,i personally prefer a full mural rather than piccys,its the tagz that look a mess but that comes with the scene

the main problem with leaving it on is it will encourage other people to write on the wall
leebeelee123
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHED wrote:
its wrong but its clever,i used to be into graffiti in a big way,but it is a crime no matter who paints it,i personally prefer a full mural rather than piccys,its the tagz that look a mess but that comes with the scene

the main problem with leaving it on is it will encourage other people to write on the wall

I was the same matey, I once slept in Walsall Rail Station for 3 nights to 'piece' a full train.
The stupid Security guards didn't have a clue, looked the dogs when it was finished tho, we also did the whole of the station.
We had a certain tagger in our 'crew' his name was Goldie, anybody remember him?
He did a piece live on BBC for Children In Need I think, then he went on to be a Drum and Bass star then onto telly and he was also in a James Bond film.
Happy Days!
SHED
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep great artist,wildstyle if remember correctly
leebeelee123
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHED wrote:
yep great artist,wildstyle if remember correctly

The name of the crew was 'The Wild Criminals' and I didnt really take much notice of his style really, was just in awe of how good he was.
I like 'chromo' pieces, easy to spray and fill and only two packs of spray to carry round with ya!
SHED
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

takes yer back,funny enough i watched beat street the other day,great graf film in its time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> POCUK lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: