Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Inside temperature error EO - no more, cured!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:02    Post subject: Inside temperature error EO - no more, cured! Reply with quote

Hello pajacoolies Very Happy

After reading every post on here re.  Thermistor, inside temp, Sender etc.   I Decided to get round to mending mine which has been flashing ERROR at me for...well ..... quite some time.  To tell you the truth I always wanted to do it but I could not get my head round all the Thermistor  Values ,Ohms, part numbers, temperature ranges and coefficient stuff. Many of the posts just said oh! Yea! you need a new thermistor..............  hmmm  Well I went for the most likely option and it works Laughing .

This is the correct 1000 Ohm Thermistor <-- click to buy

For a 2.8 94 tdi.  (If the 2.5 is the same perhaps you can say on here).

It was a bit of a fiddly job, but well worthwhile. There is no need to remove the steering column cover (unless you can’t find the wires). Just remove the housing (just unclips) that the aluminium plate is attached to. The retaining clips are on the longer ends.

The inside temperature sender/Thermistor is/was attached  to the back of the Silver aluminium plate which is located on the steering  column just below the steering wheel. Or was located there before it fell off.

Unclip the housing (that holds the aluminium plate) and you are hopefully left with two wires hanging out of the steering column. If your aluminium plate is missing you can make a new one using some thin ally plate.  A drinks can is ok, you can cut it with a pair of scissors. I took me a few goes at getting the right shape (after folding the edges)and leaving some tabs on to refit into the housing.  I think you could just stick it on with some mastic though.
Next, bend the wires on the thermistor  90 degrees. The exit hole for the tails are set to one side of the housing ie. not central, so allow for this when glueing.  Use Araldite or similar to glue the Thermistor to the back of your new/old aluminium  plate and let it dry well.  

Fit the Aluminium plate into housing (with the two tails on the Thermistor going through the square hole at the back of housing) and then secure the plate.  All that remains is to connect the two wires/tails from the Thermistor to the two wires in the steering column (does’nt matter which way). If you are ok at soldering, go for it. I made a loop on all four wires and hooked them together, nipped the wires together with long nosed pliers and stuck some insulation tape over them.  That done, check your now working temp gauge,  clip the housing back into the steering column.   End of

Now, keep pushing the inside /outside temp button, JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN Rolling Eyes , until you get fed up with it.

For those that are just like me, too confused  to know which Thermistor to order,  I bought a few extra so, if you want one and care to PM me, assure me that you have made a donation of £2.50 or more to the club.  I will give you my address, send me a SAE  and I will post 1x Thermistor to you.

See you in the permafrost

emax
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

rta271172

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
I would really like a thermistor if you still have any spare, but i am unable to pm as i 'm a newbie.....what can i do?
thanks
rta271172

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks emax. You're a star. Will send a PAE this weekend and make a donation.

Thanks again
rta271172

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it today thanks emax and it works a treat. How do i go about making a donation?

Thanks again
volcom

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are the wire colors??? do you have a diagram?? for the thermometer gauge?? and the colors on the thermistor??
thanks
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Volcom Very Happy

From memory the colour of the wires that go to the thermistor are two x black.  The thermistor i got did not have coloured wires, there are just two metal wire tails. Sorry i do not have a diagram for the gauge.

See you at lumber camp  Very Happy
emax
ged285

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, do i glue the thermistor head to the ally or does it have to free, have replaced mine but with no ally plate, still showing wrong temp,
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ged Very Happy

I think you will have to glue the Thermistor to the aluminium plate.

It is likely that the larger area of the plate gives a more accurate and quicker reading. Also make sure you use a hard glue.  I remember one member stuck it with mastic and we came to the conclusion that the mastic acted as an insulator and did not record any changes.

See you at the right reading Cool
emax
ged285

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks emax, will give it a go, do you know if the outside temp gauge is the same thermistor as that is giving very strange readings or we are having this indian summer they keep going on about,
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ged Very Happy

I think the outside temp reading is taken from a sender which is located in the nearside bumper. Hopefully someone will correct me if that is wrong.

Don't know about an Indian summer. more like an Inuit winter here this morning - 4.8

See you at the Husky trials
emax
Liath

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say THANKS to emax for this thread- I very proudly managed to fix my interior temp guage today Very Happy

That may not sound like much to all you technically minded folk, but bear in mind that before I got my Paj ten days ago I was a 'take it to the garage' sort of girl!

Anyway Thanks emax, this thread was so clearly written even this Girl Without a Clue managed to follow it!

Oh, and just for info, Superglue will NOT stick a thermistor to a bit of coke can.... and using electrical tape to hold it in place does work, but not very accurately!! Wink )(Note to self: Get Araldite and finish the job properly!)
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Liath Very Happy

Thanks should go to past and present members of the club, without them i would also have  been completely in the dark.

Hope you ain't worn dem wipers out yet Laughing

See you at the Glue shop Exclamation
emax
Liath

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

emax wrote:
Hello Liath Very Happy

Thanks should go to past and present members of the club, without them i would also have  been completely in the dark.

Hope you ain't worn dem wipers out yet Laughing

See you at the Glue shop Exclamation
emax

Fair point emax, Thanks to all who contributed to this!

Claire
maxim007

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks MAX for the Thermistor + instructions on how to fit it in the car...
Just received it a couple minutes ago in my postal box...(in Romania)
Will try to fit it tomorrow and will come back with the result...
Thanks again...

Kind regards from Romania,
Max
ropetec007

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced my inside temp sensor, the EO message been replaced with 69c..... And it stays like that!

Any ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: