Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

rev counter at 1500 1/min after ignition on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snoozer

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 22:36    Post subject: rev counter at 1500 1/min after ignition on Reply with quote

hello,

my rev counter does recently only show 1500 1/min as soon as i put on the ignition. even with running engine no change. how does the rev counter work on a pajero ? is it like on european cars a AC signal from the alternator ? which colour has the wire ? has anyone had such a problem before ?

regards
Jan

ps: just to make it clear, its not stuck, the rev counter goes down as soon as the ignition is off.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 22:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

idratherbesurfing
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus
Location: France/Belgium/Holland/Switzerland and sometimes Italy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine was revving too high a few weeks ago, the cable was stuck in the cable sheath - gave it a squirt of WD40 and had no trouble since
Pajero 4D56

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Rev-Counter in Pajero From MK-1 are also not use Cable Drive to the Instrutment,its a wire there behind the Fuel Pump,one is for the Stop-Solenoid and are covered with Rubber Cap easy to indentified and for the Rev-Counter are clipped to a plastic connector and the connector are held by a metal clip come from the Fuel Pump body,The problem that you has likely to have a shorted Fuel Pump-Rev-counter wire connection somewhere,Does the Rpm drop or rise when the engine is fire?

snoozer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope not at all, steady at 1500 1/min. i does occasionally work actually, when i drive for a longer distance the rev counter starts working properly. so the signal comes from the injector pump NOT from the alternator ?

Jan
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,it work when the vehicle hits Bumps or whats?And about the Rev-Counter circuit i don't know it work from the Alternator or not cause i hear some people say the are Combined,for me i know it work only from the TDC Sensor at the Fuel Pump there and you should check the conditions of the connector! Wink

snoozer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

today after i changed my exhaust i gave my rev counter a go as well. i figured out its the white cable from the injector pump which is giving the signal. all connections seem fine there. only i cant follow the cable to the end because its simply to tight for my fingers behind the pump and all the pipes. i removed the instruments as well just to see if there was an obvious loose connection but nothing. i have looked at the circuit board which contains the electronic inside the rev counter but all seems fine too. nothing is loose.

can i check the signal to the rev counter somehow ? i must be a pulsing voltage i believe. any advice on that ? i like to find out what is broken, the instrument or the sending unit/wiring.

regards
Jan
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,sometime you see your connector are fine but inside it got a contact,the contact could probely be contamined with Grease or oil or rust Mad ,that can be eazily removed by Sandpaper Cool !you could try it,and another problem that you could posibble the that you has a Dodgy Sensor!you should Check it! Wink
snoozer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

the connector is fine. its clean and dry and no sign of any lubricant. how can i check the sensor ?

Jan
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tachometer(Rev-Counter)is a DC instrutment,All Mitsubishi Cars are this type,its receiving signal from the Sensor mounted at Top of the Fuel Pump(For The 2.5 4D56)when a Plunger in the pump move it touch the sensor to produce On and off action,the Rev-Counter then receive this signal then register the Revolution/minute to read!so nothing to do to test the sensor,but you can borrow one from your friend pajero to see it works!or just buy one,but a bit risky because if another thing is spoil but you have replace the another thing,the thing you waste is your money,but you can still test the Sensor by using another Tachometer(Rev-Counter)to test it work or not!
snoozer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i connect another rev counter i dont actually test the sensor. if it does not work it can still be anything but the rev counter. when you say DC instrument, it obviously works on alternating current signal, therefor it cant actually be DC. unless there is some "smart" stuff in the sensor which makes a DC voltage varying by the revs of the engine which then would make all the electronics in the actual instrument obsolete. i am really looking for a way to test the sensor at the first connection accessible.

regards
Jan
Pajero 4D56

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Em,I don't think the Rev-Counter in Pajero are works AC(From Alternator)hmmm if you have an 2.8 it are possible,but if you have an 2.5,i can Sure it works from the Fuel-Pump Sensor only Razz !
pak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:37    Post subject: Rev counter stopped at 1500 rpm. Reply with quote

Snoozer/Jan did you ever get this probelm sorted as mine has done exactly the same thing as yours by the sounds of what you wrote.
Ignition on, tacho jumps to 1500 rpm and sticks there.
thanks
Pak
aries

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
 I've had this problem for ages,a tap on the dash would get it working,but after some months that did'nt work,now it won't work even if i thump the dash!!
            I read on the forum,a member had the same problem,he found the solder inside the revcounter had gone dry,i think that was the term he used.
                     he resolded something inside the revcounter and all was fine.
                             It all sounded to complicated for me so i left it well alone, if anyone finds a solution let me no!!!

aries 2.8 auto swb jobby grommit .
TomiDoo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

old topic but have a issue

i have 4m40 with mechanic pump <1997

where is located the sensor, if someone can point with pucture
my rev arent working Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: