2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Kickdown removal

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:35    Post subject: Kickdown removal Reply with quote

Hiya guy's can't find the answer on here so I will ask, I have been trying to get my kickdown cable to the correct position for sometime now, but all that seems to happen is that the gears either change too early too late or not at all, I have adjusted it very slowy in both directions but still cant get is right , so here is the question what would happen if I removed the cable completely, apart from the fact that I would not have any kickdown, and would it create further problems for me if I did remove it ? the reason why I am considering this is because I have been trying to get this adjusted right for so long now I am getting well P*****D off with it and it's driving me mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad

Netsniper Very Happy  Very Happy  PS Pajero 1993 2.5 TDI
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

bob cole
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of this

It should help you.

bob
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Bob.

Thanks I have already looked at those posts and loads of others with diagrams followed the instructions to the letter but still I have the same problem. I don't really want to take it to a garage and possibly get ripped off as some many have on here already so I guess at the moment it's trail and error or remove the cable as I very rarely use my kickdown anyway.

Thanks all the same.
Netsniper  Smile
leebeelee123
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just disconnected mine form the pump, take the split pin out and pull the thingy that holds the cable on out.
Make sure you push the cable right back as far as the stop will go afterwards.
I found that its batter to drive it as a manual now so I make the decision as to when the gears change!
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:49    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

leebeelee123 wrote:
I've just disconnected mine form the pump, take the split pin out and pull the thingy that holds the cable on out.
I found that its batter to drive it as a manual now so I make the decision as to when the gears change!

Hiya thanks for your reply , are you saying that if I remove my kickdown cable I would have to change gear manualy ?

Netsniper Very Happy
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 17:43    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

netsniper wrote:
leebeelee123 wrote:

Hiya thanks for your reply , are you saying that if I remove my kickdown cable I would have to change gear manualy ?

Netsniper Very Happy

....,NO, it will still change gear automatically, but if you want to drop a gear as in kickdown mode.., it won,t,.. you,ll have to (MANUALLY) select a lower gear.
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 16:10    Post subject: Kickdown Reply with quote

Hiya well finally got round to disconnecting my kickdown cable, and my Paj seems to have more power ? But this could be my imagination Embarassed  anyway I'm still not sure if it is getting into top gear Embarassed  I took it up to 65mph and it was at 3500 revs, so what can anyone tell me from that ?

Cheers

netsniper Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
mike r

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, those revs at that MPH sound high to me . I have a 2.8 and at 65mph ,revs are around 2000- 2500 or so. It may be slightly different for the 2.5, but not that much I wouldn't have thought, someone else may be along shortly to tell you different !!.
Hope this may help anyway, Cheers Mike R.
leebeelee123
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 18:20    Post subject: Re: Kickdown Reply with quote

netsniper wrote:
Hiya well finally got round to disconnecting my kickdown cable, and my Paj seems to have more power ? But this could be my imagination Embarassed  anyway I'm still not sure if it is getting into top gear Embarassed  I took it up to 65mph and it was at 3500 revs, so what can anyone tell me from that ?

Cheers

Did you push the kickdown cable back inwards as far as it would go?
If you pull the orange rubber gaiter on the cable back you will see a little 'stop' on the cable.
You have to push the cbale back into the outer cable until you hit this 'stop'.
The gears should then all change, but I found with mine the gears were changing too quickly, so I drive it as a manual.
Without driving it thru the gears I hear 2 gearchanges before the car gets to 25 mph.

HTH,
Lee
leebeelee123
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 18:22    Post subject: Re: Kickdown Reply with quote

netsniper wrote:

Cheers

Did you push the kickdown cable back inwards as far as it would go?
If you pull the orange rubber gaiter on the cable back you will see a little 'stop' on the cable.
You have to push the cbale back into the outer cable until you hit this 'stop'.
The gears should then all change, but I found with mine the gears were changing too quickly, so I drive it as a manual.
Without driving it thru the gears I hear 2 gearchanges before the car gets to 25 mph.

HTH,
Lee

Forgot to add, drive it as normal without the overdrive switch on up to about 55/60mph then press the overdrive button in.
This will show you how much it drops, should be around a 1000rpm.
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 21:11    Post subject: Kickdown Reply with quote

Hiya yes I have pushed the cable back as far as it will go , it is right back as far as the little stop/nipple will allow it to go , I will test it again using the overdrive and see what happens, and let you know cheers for the help Very Happy

netsniper Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 19:14    Post subject: OD switch Reply with quote

Hiya guys well as I have already said the performance of my Paj is much better since I removed the kick down cable, however today I decided to drive it up to a speed of 50 mph on a flat road and then hit the overdrive, expecting it to drop some revs ? well mine didn't infact it increased the revs by about 200 revs, so it seems that mine is doing the opposite to what I should expect, I am assuming from what I have read that the revs should drop? any help or advice guys and girls,

Nestniper Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 16:24    Post subject: At the end of my tether Reply with quote

Hiya Guys & Gals, just to give you all an update on my gear box problem Embarassed  I have looked all over this site and found various topics about gear box problems, but not sure which one applies to my problem So here we go, I drive it up to 50 mph and then switch off OD and the revs go up by about 150/200 and then when I switch the OD on again it drops back down by the same amount, I had disconnected the Kick down cable before I did this test, one other thing I did, I drove it up to 50 mph with OD on and then took my foot off the gas and the revs dropped down to about 1100 RPM, can anyone tell me does this sound like a clutch/Torque converter problem or an electrical problem or is it some other possible problem, I am getting to the end of my tether with it, this problem has been with me now for about 10 months or more, however it doesn't seem to give me any problems and drives fine but the revs are quite high, in fact I have driven to and from Bulgaria with this problem.
I would like to hear from anyone that has any help or advice on this, or anyone who has the same problem

Netsniper
Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 17:40    Post subject: HELP NEEDED Reply with quote

Hiya Guys and Gals anyone got any help or advice with the above

Netsniper Very Happy
leebeelee123
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey netsniper, mine has just started doing the same, its like the o/d isn't locking up.
Thrashed the living daylights out of it today up to 65 and it just dropped 200rpm, took me foot off gas it dropped further like it should, put foot back down and it revved back up, looks like the O/D clutch has gone......... Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: