eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Kickdown removal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya andyshirley, one more thing I forgot to say is that as stated below ther wasn't much movement on my rev counter when I carried out this test I would say it was just a few revs ie maybe 10 ?

OD on Temp normal, drove up to 50mph, at 3000 revs, switched OD off slight drop in revs
That was my second test

Netsniper Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 21:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pete I am going to try that tomorrow, so I will let you know how I get on fingers crossed

Netsniper Very Happy
andyshirley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest way to rule out the electrics is to put a temporary live wire to the o/d solenoid.

Click on my username and then look through my previous posts.
andyshirley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,
           click on PROFILE.
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya andyshirley I have had a look through your posts, and there seems to be quite a lot about this problem but one thing I hadn't thought of is that when I lost my OD I also over heated for no reason ? I lost water but don't know where from? I just topped it up and it's been fine since, But what I noticed on one of you topics is that another member philious had the same problem and once he sorted his water pump he solved his problem ? I'm not saying that I will be so luck but I will check the temp sensor tomorrow

Netsniper Very Happy  Very Happy
andyshirley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zodiac:
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 23:50    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jimmy, i don't want to appear rude but have you read this topic from the beginning.

I know that the overdrive solenoid is powered from the overdrive relay which is earthed from the temperature switch on the thermostat housing and gets its live from the o/d on -off switch on the gear selector. I have already tested the temperature switch on the thermostat housing , i know 100% which one it is and its A ok.   I also know that the solenoid and everthing in the gearbox is fine because i,m using a temporary switched live scotch-locked to the solenoid to work my overdrive.

So i know that the problem is with the o/d relay or the connections or wiring to the relay. My problem therefore is finding the relay. My vehicle is a 1992 3.0l petrol lwb.  I was saying in one of my earlier posts that i used to have a 2.5 diesel with a fully operational o/d so i tried to work out which relay was the o/d relay by pulling each relay in turn to see which one turned off the o/d in the diesel paj so i would know which relay it was in my petrol paj.  The problem was after pulling all the relays non of em swiched the o/d off in the diesel paj so i was non the wiser.   CHEERS MATE ----Andy-----

1969 Triumph Vitesse. 2.5 PI Engine Transplant.

1972 Landy LWB Station wagon [ long term project ] [ very long term ]
andyshirley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

o/d wiring
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya andyshirley, thanks for the diagram , I have just had a call from a machanic who has quoted me £350 to fit me another Clutch/Torque converter this is labour only does that soun expensive ? I live in Market drayton Shropshire

Cheers

Netsniper
andyshirley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry mate I dont really know.

I would recommend getting at least 2 quotes, and make sure that you know exactly what you are getting for your money.

Anyway, rule out the electrics first.

You have used the proper method for checking fluid level?

Someone else may advise better on this, but I believe the auto box needs to be completely removed from the vehicle to sort the o/d clutch.

The torque converter is a different item and could possibly done by just seperating the engine and box.

CAN SOMEONE CONFIRM THIS FOR NETSNIPER     Please
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers M8 for all your advice and help and also a load of patients with me, I will let you know how I get on with the electrics

Netsniper Very Happy
El Ricko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

the torque converter is a very different item from the over drive pack, the torque converter sit's in the same location as the clutch would on a manual box version

to replace the torque converter it is engine or gearbox out job
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

austinsevenuk wrote:
the torque converter is a very different item from the over drive pack, the torque converter sit's in the same location as the clutch would on a manual box version

to replace the torque converter it is engine or gearbox out job

Hiya austinsevenuk, I am getting very confused now can you tell me how I would know if I need to replace the Torque converter or the Over drive pack, I didn't realize that they were both different and where is the Over drive pack situated?

Cheers
Netsniper
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Folks Just been out in my Paj wired up the temp sensor to the negative directly, got it warm drove took it up to 50 and no change, OD still not kicking in, can anyone tell me what the difference is between a Torque converter and a Over drive Pack ? and are they both situated in the same place ?

netsniper Very Happy
El Ricko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

the torque converter is basicaly a fluid fly wheel that connects the engine to the gearbox, it usualy contains two sets of impellors and is filled with fluid, as the engine revs the fluid drags the gearbox side impellor round to make the car move, and on most modern cars there is a function to lock the torque convert at a set speed to lower the amount of wasted energy.

Best way to test a torque converter is to put the car in drive and floor the throttle with your other foot on the brake. Take a mental note of how many revs the car gets to. Check with another similar car or the spec for the torque converter stall speed, if your rmp is much heigher that this then you have torque converter problems

BUT DONT HOLD THE TROTTLE DOWN FOR MORE THAT 5-6 SECONDS OR THIGNS WILL START TO OVERHEAT AS YOU ARE TRYING TO DRIVE AT FULL THROTTLE WITH THE BRAKES ON

Over drive is like a 1/2 gear and they come in many different forms, your o/d is located inside the autobox usualy with a small clutch pack and

the links below are quite usefull

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/information/torque-converter.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission8.htm

does your power/hold function work, as i drove for a mile or so thinking the autobox was not going into o/d to relise i had it in power mode?!

hope this helps
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya austinsevenuk, Thanks for your reply that all sounds very interesting and scary? I don't have a power button on my Paj it's a 2.5 I thought only the 2,8 had these, I wont be able to test it as you have said in your post as there isn't anyone around me with a similar box or Paj

Cheers

Netsniper Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: