2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Kickdown removal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyshirley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyshirley wrote:
Easiest way to rule out the electrics is to put a temporary live wire to the o/d solenoid.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

andyshirley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyshirley wrote:
... Someone else may advise better on this, but I believe the auto box needs to be completely removed from the vehicle to sort the o/d clutch.

The torque converter is a different item and could possibly be done by just seperating the engine and box.
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya folks I was out in the Paj last night and going down a bit of a hill I was doing 60 so I took my foot off the gas and let it drop to 50 then I press the OD button and the revs went up by 1000, so this now tells me that the OD clutch is / maybe ok ?

I rang a guy today in Audlem who was recommended to me by Nick the Nurse, told him of my dilemma and what was happening with the PaJ he seemed to know quite a lot about them and wasn't rushing to take my money off me which is very rare, he told me to check my ATF with the engine ticking over and in drive he said that it's the only way to get an accurate reading ?

he also said that as my revs went up by 1000 then it can't be the OD clutch he also told me to recheck the OD solenoid, and change the ATF again, and if I still have the problem then he will look at it for me , well can't get better than that me thinks ? Very Happy

Netsniper Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
andyshirley
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct method for checking fluid level is......... engine ticking over, move gear selector from park to low and then back to park, do this twice, finishing in park,then check the level. there are two marks on the dipstick, one for hot and one for cold. Wink    Thats why I asked you earlier if you had used the correct method. Smile

As said twice already, put a temporary switched and fused live wire from the battery to the solenoid. Wink  Smile  
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya andyshirley, thanks for your reply, and the information that is in it , it's good the more the better.

Netsniper  Very Happy  Very Happy
gp339gm339

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a simater problem on my 89 nf,  i'm not sure if we have the same box.

I would have to rev the truck hard before it changed gear. I found the kick down cable was faulty.

To check the cable, I disconnected it and when I pulled on the cable it would not retract.

I replaced the cable (messy job) and the truck has now being working perfect.
KEVS PAJ

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there just wondering how you adjust the kickdown cable it was fine then i had to rebuild my head and change my torque converter so i had the engine out and since i put it all back together it is loose and the truck does not feel as responsive any ideas cheers,kev
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Kev don't know if you are sorted I have only just noticed your post try this post towards the bottom  

HERE

Netsniper Very Happy
moodymann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 19:24    Post subject: Same issue Reply with quote

Aha
This thread looks like the one.
Mine is doing everything yours is doing except that i have no overdrive action at all.
Feels like i do not have 4th gear???
How did you get on???
Cheers
MM
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya moodymann, well for me what I have done to date is change my ATF, and this made no difference, I then checked my temp sensor which I think is working ok, I then checked that my kick down cable was adjusted correctly and it was fine so then I checked my OD solenoid which I think is faulty as I do not hear any clicking when I switch to OD, so I have now got a working replacement which I have yet to fit, but I am waiting for some decent weather? so could be a while yet ? and if it's not that then it's going to be a replacement box Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed

Netsniper
moodymann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate cheers
Finally some sense. I'm sitting in the same boat for certain. Luckily i have another box sitting in a barn in wales. Long way away. Can you explain where the solenoid is cos ive looked and am still  ot certain. can you describe...
Do you understand if the 4th gear is controlled some other way than the o/d. Ive read so much here and am seeing people say that the kickdown also has some effect the virtual 4th gear. I am a real mechanic and am struggling here. Just need info....
Nice one
MM
moodymann

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 23:43    Post subject: read this and you will see how i got here Reply with quote

Hi there.
I am close to the end of a mission.
Rolled my j reg 2.5 Pajero in a forest. Picked up a good Kreg Pajero with a cooked engine.
Have taken the engine out of the rolled one a put it in the K reg one.
All fine. I know the old owner of the K reg one and the vehicle was running totally normally before he cooked the head.
First drive it seemed like it was stuck in low ratio and whenever i put the slightest pressure on the throttle it would drop a gear. and scream the engine. It took a long time to travel the 30 miles i had to do. Whilst on the journey i stopped and experimented with the 4wd gears and found that there was no difference in the ratio's in any position. Is one of the ratio's low? or are they all the same but with differing 4wd and diff lock combinations. Next morning i had a helper move the gear levers and lay underneath to confirm things were moving in the box and they definitely were. As i was on the top of a mountain up a track i was unable to just "go round the block" to see if it was the same.
Then i read all the posts here on the subject and tried to adjust the kickdown cable and i could only create 32mm when adjusting. It clearly is actuating the box when pulling and pushing the cable by hand. I decided to disconnect it and see what happened.
Next I have sent the blue and white wire to earth and do not think it has achieved anything. The overdrive switch is lighting the bulb on dash but nothing else happens.
Now i had to drive 200 miles home to oxfordshire. Instantly i started the descent down the track of my inlaws farm it was obvious that the vehicle was not in low ratio and i felt excited that perhaps the things i had done had solved the problem.
Finally on the lanes leaving wales i it was clear the vehicle was doing fine and was revving sensibly.
Once on the A40 i found that it was missing 4th gear. I could do 60mph but was screaming the engine somewhat. The journey was ok and i used much less fuel than i expected.

So i need to know if possible, exactly what the kickdown system actually does and how it works, and confirm that disconnecting the cable has stopped it dropping a gear at every opportunity. I also now think that either there is a 4th gear missing in the autobox, or the overdrive is stuck off. Re the overdrive. Does the solenoid that controls it default to overdrive on or off if there is no voltage present? Do they get stuck? Where is the solenoid and which electrical connector on the autobox do i test the voltage at and if possible what do the others there do. I could see 4 connectors i think.
I think that covers everything i need to ask. I have a spare gearbox in wales sadly, so substituting the solenoid when i find it is not possible this week or next. Are they expensive new or does someone have on they could sell to me????

Thanks for your time
MM
Netsniperthefirst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya well first of all I can not answer most of your questions, as I do not know too much myself Embarassed  I am leaning as I go by getting as much information from other members, but it's hard what I can say is that there is no hard and fast rules about what could be the problem ? it seems to me that all those members who have this problem solve it in different ways anyway the OD solenoid is on the passenger side towards the back of the box you will have to try and get your hand up over the prop, what I did was I attached a cable to it and took it into the cab and and also a live from the battery, I connected them both to a switch and then took it for a run as I needed to get it warmed up as the overdrive amongst other things relies on temp once I got it to over 50ish and warm I flicked the switch and I got nothing, I then got back home and got her indoors to flick the switch while the paj was still hot and I couldn't feel anything or hear any clicking, so I am assuming that the solenoid is NFG  Evil or Very Mad  sorry I can't help anymore but I am sure someone will be a long soon who can ? have a look HERE and you will see where the Solenoid is

Cheers
netsniper Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
moodymann

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is a good start. Thanks for your advise. I have just been told that there is a relay controlling it under thae dash drivers side
Will look tomorrow
Thanks
MM
ambo

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.8 pajero where does the kickdown cable go into the gearbox?? and how do you connect it onta gearbox end??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: