Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2.8 cuts out just after starting, then runs fine all day

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep mine does it all the time .but its petrol but I understand where you are coming from its almost like the pump is trying to implode the tank
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 21:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

BIG RED

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi nick the reason why im asking is that just before xmas i put a s/hand pump on mine temporary.at the time it used to hiss before i changed the pump.then stopped after changing it now the pump seal is nackered again and the hiss is back.do u think theres a viper in there.(not a sniper) Laughing  Laughing
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember ..I'm a nurse not a techy  Laughing the tank on the petrol's works under almost a vacuum scenario as a sealed unit I always thought that the Diesels breathed by pulling air through the breather hole in the cap (If you see what I mean  Embarassed ).its like if the seals gone its pressurizing the Tank Confused  dontknow .think thats what you mean.........I hope  Laughing  Embarassed
BIG RED

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep i thought it should have a vent hole its just funny the way it stopped when i changed the pump. Wink
DanDini

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick and Red,

Just to be clear, this thread is about the 2.8 diesel model.

Thanks,

Dan
BIG RED

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes im talking abt the 2.8 diesel model.
and nick im not sure whether its air going in the tank or coming out.i suspect if that seal is nacked it will be pressurising the tank.
DanDini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADS Auto Repairs
200 South Liberty La, Bristol, BS3 2TY

...will do the 'front seal' only on the pump for £200 + VAT. They say it is all that is needed and they do hundreds up and down the country. Does that sound ok?

Thanks,

Dan
BIG RED

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep thats a fair price go for it Wink
welshgirl

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 23:07    Post subject: An odd one: normal start.. then engine cut out Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have an odd problem with my Pajero.  Starts normally, absolutely fine.  Runs on road between 1-5 minutes and then cuts out completely.  I have to pull into the pavement sharpish, wait for my timer to run through (20 secs) and then it starts normally again!  This happens only on the first time the car is started i.e. if I start my car at 11am then go to work for 7 hours, it doesn't happen again 7 hours later...

I call it my daily dose of stress and now have to divert my route up a quiet street every day so I have somewhere safe to pull in!

My battery has been checked and is fine.  
The lights remain on my dashboard after the car has stopped (but this maybe becuase of the timer?)
Is it something to do with the gear change maybe (I have an auomatic diesel) - it hardly ever goes above 30 before the car stops.

My mechanic is coming out on Thursday to look at the car, but if you have any suggestions before then, please let me know!

Hope you can help me...
thanks
x
idratherbesurfing
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus
Location: France/Belgium/Holland/Switzerland and sometimes Italy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its the 2.8, then its the fuel pump seals.
waynec
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing this is a 2.8 - Yes????  - its your pump seals, "click" on the red "search" button on top of screen and enter "pump seals 2.8" - theres loads on here about this issue.
Ivor Green

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne , one thought is the old test of removing the fuel cut off switch , and then looking for black staining to the green rubber plunger. if its black the frint seal has gone .
welshgirl

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 23:23    Post subject: thanks chaps Reply with quote

It is a 2.8 - i'll check out the fuel pump seal stuff and let you know what my mechanic says!

Everyone on here is always massively helpful - thank you very much
Spanishstokie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 14:21    Post subject: Pump seals Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
           New to the site and no idea of what I am doing, so please excuse my ignorance.  I have read at length this link regarding the seals!  The problem I am having is.....I have looked and read the link many times and there seems to be a confusing issue on my behalf.  I have seen mention of front pump seals and also seen a  picture of a fuel tank with a pump on top of that!  I am presuming that there is only 1 fuel pump?  My Pajero is a 1997 2.8, engine 4M40 and has all the classic signs of seal failure.

I took a drawing up to my Spanish mechanic (you can now start to imagine the problems I am having), who has already cost me money in trying correct 'other' possible problems!!!!  He informs me that my Pajero is the electronic fuel pump type and is located as per the drawing on top of the fuel tank (there doesn't appear to be another pump in the engine compartment). Is this correct, or could there be 2?

My other question is...........If it is located here, I imagine that access is quite easy through the inspection plate underneath the rear seats and the seal easy to replace?  Is this the seal between the pump housing and the tank????

Any help that can be afforded would be greatfully received.

Thanks guys Rolling Eyes
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Hello S.ST

welcome to the club wave , dont know anything about the electric pump, but had a quick search and found this.

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88080&highlight=electronic+pump

so your chap is probably correct. If you use the search facility (above in red) and type in pump and seals you will find some more stuff.

Usually the pump seal problem (diesel) is with the front seal in the actual injector pump, which i am pretty certain must be under the bonnet even, if it is electric, sounds unlikely that even mitsubishi would mount an injector pump on the tank.  From reading the above post it seems that there are electric injector pumps fitted to later models such as yours, and that they suffer the same injector pump seal failure.

If there is a pump on the tank it is more likely to be a fuel pump, pumping fuel to the injector pump, thats my theory anyway. (Which could be wrong) hmmm  

on a LWB the inspection plate for the tank is in the rear cargo area.  

Have another search and put in, cutting out, or similar and you will find other stuff on fuel lines filters etc. on a number of occassions members have thought their pump seals had failed, only to find out it was just a loose pipe fitting or filter housing. Hope that is so for you.

if that does not help too much ask again, and i am sure that those who know about electric pumps will be happy to give you some more assitance  

see you for some Sangria Laughing
emax
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: