Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2.8 cuts out just after starting, then runs fine all day

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oncoman

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked my way through this excellent thread, I'm pretty sure my R-reg Shogun needs its seals done. It does do the classic start, then stop after 50 yards then is fine all day. However, I have also noticed of late that I have been losing power too. Is this also a symptom?

I think I will need someone to do the seals for me. Does anyone know of a mechanic in Oxfordshire who could do it?

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

v8 rick
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

oncoman wrote:
Having worked my way through this excellent thread, I'm pretty sure my R-reg Shogun needs its seals done. It does do the classic start, then stop after 50 yards then is fine all day. However, I have also noticed of late that I have been losing power too. Is this also a symptom?

I think I will need someone to do the seals for me. Does anyone know of a mechanic in Oxfordshire who could do it?

Thanks

pm sent , losing power is almost certainly also down to the pump seal being worn along with the cutting out .

rick.
oncoman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really helpful!
I will call you later, thanks!
oncoman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick came to see me today. Did a fantastic job and I've got my lovely Shogun back!
Really nice bloke and did a fantastic job for me. It is hard to describe the difference it has made. Gave it a good run this afternoon and I honestly can't believe the difference it has made.

Well pleased!
wilkobat

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to say had the dreaded pump seal problem for a while, got in touch with Mark from rainham, he came out as booked done the job in less than 3 hours , the pajero runs a lot better obviously the stopping soon after start up has gone, she picks up and pulls away much better, thanks to Mark for a professional and great priced job.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilkobat wrote:
just to say had the dreaded pump seal problem for a while, got in touch with Mark from rainham, he came out as booked done the job in less than 3 hours , the pajero runs a lot better obviously the stopping soon after start up has gone, she picks up and pulls away much better, thanks to Mark for a professional and great priced job.

My pleasure, glad its running well for you  Very Happy
petergray

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hia I have same starting problems as many have mentioned before, but as im driving it frequently cuts out and take ages to restart, it also just takes off and revs up uncontrollably, could this also be a pump seal problem. Dont know if this has anything to do with it or just coincidence but i have just had a new cylinder head fitted as mine was cracked. I am at the end of my tether i have only owned it  2 month and have spent more than its worth on it. Any help much appreciated Pete
Dave82

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may sound mongy but if the pump seal has worn wouldnt it leak diesel??
Molly66

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 20:24    Post subject: Pajero 2.8 diesel jap running rough only in low revs Reply with quote

Hi I have a pajero 2.8 diesel pajero auto 1997 jap
It runs lumpy at low revs only if you set the choke up a bit it runs ok.
We have decarbon the pipes blocked of the egr valve
The pajero has plenty of power it just the problem of lumpy at low revs
MRBISHI

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Just as a matter of a cheap thing to try before doing the front pump seal. My mate & I both have 1997 2.8TD Pajero's and we both had the problem of hard start, white smoke, rough idle and stalling/rough idle after heading down the road.
I did some research and found that here in Australia the sulphur was removed from diesel fuel which acted as a lubricant for the pump seal. This then caused the front pump seals to harden & leak causing those symptoms.
I decided to try a diesel additive and after 3 tanks of fuel the problem ceased. My mate also tried it but the damage must have been too far along for his fuel pump seal and he had to get it replaced.
It has been nearly two years and I regularly use the additive and have not had a problem since so for a bottle of diesel treatment at about AU$35 which does 1000litres of fuel it has been well worth it.
Give it a go and if the problem persists then you will require the pump seal get done but like me you may get a long run from it.
Cheers Dean.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave82 wrote:
It may sound mongy but if the pump seal has worn wouldnt it leak diesel??

Eventually it does but it leaks internally into the sump, so it waters down your engine oil and if the level increases too much it will run away on its oil untill someone cuts of the air supply or the fuel runs out or the engine melts/siezes up.

1st symptom is the stalling shortly after cold start, then after a good few months you will have a black tint to your diesel (engine oil contamination) then some time after that it will leak diesel out into the sump.

also fuel consumption tends to drop from around 15 to maybe 16MPG  Shocked  and you loose performance too, the later is such a gradual decline you prolly wont realise until the seal is done and then she flies again  Very Happy

If at some time its had an incorrect seal fitted (currently STILL being sold by Milners) the symptoms differ, you may have diesel leaking causing oil level rise 1st, this i have seen prolly 20 times out of near on 500 seal changes
steveestir

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

so after a year of pajero ownership, my 1995 2.8 is showing all the signs of needing this seal doing.
Any recommendations for south bucks (high wycombe)
The DIY route seems a little much for me.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be with you Monday week as I'm then heading to Reading lol
steveestir

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, thank you for visiting today. (still cant pm you)

Everyone else...

Over the course of an afternoon, i have a new fuel pump seal fitted, something which i suspected correctly was way beyond my capabilities.  

Much more than that though, you are a great bloke, not only obviously passionate about the Pajero, but also very happy to share your knowledge on all things mechanical, i picked up more from you in a couple of hours than i could ever from reading the Haynes manual or reading the internet.

I just took the Paj out for a spin and the performance difference is remarkable, its like someone unhitched a tonne of trailer.

great service, highly recommended.  I honestly think you could do the fuel pump job with your eyes closed now Smile
cookyboy123

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:16    Post subject: pump seals or leaking air ? Reply with quote

JUST bought a m reg pajero. 2.8
would appreciate  a little advise.
problem i had was on a morning it would start fine the with in seconds it would throw out loads of white smoke and idle very rough and eventually die. After cracking 2-3 minutes later it would spring back into life and run fine.

had a look around and found a leaking diesle line to the rear of the chassis.  Replaced that and this morning it started with rough ideal for around 15secs with no smoke and was fine. No cutting out ect.

my question, can cutting out rough ideal and white smoke only on a morning be caused by a tiny deisle line leak? (Air getting in the system ) or would you say that i still have faulty pump seals.

thanxs in advance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: