Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

any good advice for engine change

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pajeromatt

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 20:36    Post subject: any good advice for engine change Reply with quote

ive just bought a new enigne for my pajero, as my cam belt went, put it back together and its not right, further investigations show bent valves, whivh have damaged the valve seats, so bought another engine.  
any good tips or anything i need to know before i start pulling the old one out
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 20:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

ady38

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:46    Post subject: engine change Reply with quote

hi having just changed my engine twice in the last two months i dont think it is much of a problem hardest bit was refitting gearbox back to engine and getting it to line up correctly think the last engine went in and out roughly 15 times b4 it sat correct but thats another story lol took me 3 days
really if ur lucky it will go in first time just remember position of torque converter on gearbox if u get stuck dont hesitate to contact me  if u were closer i would of lent a hand but typical miles away
all u need is a good engine crane and some patience
let me know how u get on cheers ady Very Happy
pajeromatt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that, ive got a good hoist, gonna start getting it out over wekend, hopefully goes smoothly
pajeromatt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

someones said to me that ive got to drop the front axel to get engine out coz of the shape of the sump, please tell me this is wrong
jamieg

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't give you any tips but what I will say is make sure all the 'other' bits are checked when you put it back as having just had a new engine put in mine the alternator is *beep* and cooked one of my batteries - little did I know that if I had ignored the smell of eggs then it would have blown up.
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did and if it wasn't for a breakers.......the Mitsi bits would have cost me over 2k Shocked  Shocked  Shocked for my old Mk1  Shocked  Crying or Very sad
ady38

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:35    Post subject: front axle???? Reply with quote

no this is totally wrong and i can assure you i have had no problems getting engine in and out with axle still fitted  hope im not too late with reply cheers ady
pajeromatt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers thats what i wanted to hear, not started to change it yet, just got engine tonight, gonna start it on thursdfay when im off, hoping its not too bad a job
buffalos neph
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

radiator out give more room undo all bits and pieces if its auto take off dust plate at bottom of gearbox
and undo torque converter 12mm i think by rotating engine then pull engine from the box leaving torque converter in side the gearbox
if you take out egine with torque converter you could damage geabox and converter any problems pm me and i give yur me moby number

matt Laughing
ady38

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:09    Post subject: torque converter Reply with quote

they are 14mm on torque converter but remember to mark position of torque converter so new one goes in correct position and should fit straight back in
IF it seems its not going back that last 10mm then the torque converter is not sat back on the splines that extra bit lining up the two notchs   on the torque converter move round and push till it seats properly then line up your marks and refit engine good luck u have my mobile if u get stuck i think Very Happy
andypetz

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, your reply (ady 38) has just helped me out as im in the middle of an engine swap and im pulling out my hair as to why the engine wont go back the last 1/2 inch.
 Because i used a engine from a manual and not a auto, the flywheels were different so after i swapped them and the spacers over to my new engine, i didnt mark the position of the torque converter and now im having trouble fitting the engine to the gearbox but is it the position of the torque converter wrong or is it ( as you have said ) just a pig ot get in?
Thanks, andy......
El Ricko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you taken the spigot bearing out of the end of the crank?

i have fitted a few manual bmw engines to auto bmw and had simialar problems untill i realised the spigot was still in the crank

never had any problems with the position of the torque converter.

However it is some time easier to fit the torque converter to the gearbox by hand and then bolt it to the flex plate/ flywheel after fitting the engine to the bell housing
andypetz

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that info,
im going to take the block back out and see if anythings wrong, and i'll have a look at that spigot' then im going to fit the torque converter first this time and see if it go's in any easyer to slide the engine in again.. andy
El Ricko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries

the spicot will be inside the end of the crank if you have one..

slide the torque converter onto the gearbox then fit engine makes it much easier
pajeromatt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for all the advice, mines a manual, so hopefully not too hard to get it all back together, gonna start doing it tomorrow as got a couple weeks off and just got the new engine,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: