Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Understanding the Super Select four wheel drive system.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Top tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racoon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 14:07    Post subject: Understanding the Super Select four wheel drive system. Reply with quote

Dear Forum...

G'day Cool

I've put together a paper on the Super Select 4x4 with the intention to help understand the problems that are asociated with this system. I hope it helps.

These vehicles are equipped with a Super Select four wheel drive system that allows changing between the two wheel drive(2H) to four wheel drive(4H) at speeds up to 100 km/h.

A vacuum actuated free wheeling clutch is installed between the inner drive shaft housing and the final drive assembly to allow the frontdrive shafts to be disengaged when four wheel drive is not selected,negating the need for free wheeling hubs.

When the transfercase shift lever is in the 2H position,vacuum is applied to one side of the actuator. In this position,the free wheeling clutch disengages the inner drive shaft from the final drive assembly,thus allowing the drive shafts to free wheel.

When the the transfer case shift lever is in (4H),(4HLc),or (4LLc) position,vacuum is applied to opposite side of the actuator.

In this position,the free wheeling clutch engages the inner drive shaft to the final drive assembly. Now.... vacuum to the actuator is controled by two Solinoids,which are operated by the 2/4WD detection switch installed to the transfer case.
If the vacuum supply to the actuator is interruped,a spring inside the actuator will move the free whelling clutch to the engaged position.

NOTE: Continuous flashing of the front wheels in the Super Select warning lamp indicates a malfuntion in the system or a faulty free wheel engage switch.
 It is normal for the warning lamp to flash momentarily when a change is made between 2H and 4H position until the free wheeling clutch is fully engaged.
 It may be necessary to move the vehicale forwards of backwards a short distance to allow full engagement.

(1) Raise the front of the Pajero and support it on stands.

(2) remove the stone guard and air guide plates from the underbody.

(3) Start the engine and move the transfer case shift lever to the 2H position.

(4) Disconect the vacuum hose with the YELLOW trace from the actuator assembly. vacuum should be present at the hose.
Move the shift lever to the 4H position and check that vacuum is present at the vacuum hose with the BLUE trace.
If vacuum is not present at the vacuum hoses,proceed to point (5).
If vacuum is present at both hoses,the control system is operating correctly.
Check the actuator assembly as follows:
 (a) Slide the dust boot back from the actuator until the shift rod is exposed.
 (b) Disconnect the vacuum hose with the BLUE trace from the actuator.
 (c) With the engine running,momentarily connect and disconnect the vacuum hose with the YELLOW trace from the actuator.
The actuator shift rod should move back and forth.
 (d) If no movement is evident,attempt to move the actuator shift rod using a suitable tool.
If the actuator shift rod can be moved manually, the actuator is faulty and must be renewed.
If the actuator shift rod cannot be moved,it will be necessary to remove and dismantle the free wheeling clutch assembly.

*(5) Check that the vacuum hoses between the actuator,solinoids,inlet manifold and vacuum are not split,perished or disconnected.Check that the vacumm tank is not ruptured.

(6) Start the engine and move the Transfer case shift lever to the 2H posistion.

(7) Disconect the wiring connector from the YELLOW solinoid and connect a voltmeter between the connector termanals.Battery voltage should be displayed.

(8) Install the connector to the YELLOW solinoid and check that battery voltage is present at the BLUE solinoid connector using the same procedure.
If battery voltage is not present at the solinoids,check the 4WD fuse in the interior fuse box.Also check 2/4WD switch and the 4WD position switch.
If the switches are good,the 4WD indicator ECU or wiring may be faulty.In this case refer the problem to an Authorized Mitsubishi service agent.

(9) Using an ohmmeter,check that continuity exists between the termanals of each terminals of each solinoid.
Renew the solinoid if continuity is not displayed.

Please feel free to ask here on this subject if your unsure or need further clafication.

ATB racoon.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 14:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

PoCUK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

great post Racoon!

Thank you!!

Now in 'Top Tips' Wink

Simon Cool
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

.,agree, and very comprehensive, Thank,s Wink
Richie
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Razz  Idea
racoon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the comments  Guys.
Im putting together a paper dealing with the entire electrical system,starting with the V6 3.0LTR.
All will be covered.
Thankyou again.racoon
Subedei

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post.

Can i just add that free wheeling hubs can still be beneficial for economy and performance reasons (and, as I found out, for still being able to use one's paj after the front stub axle bearing disintegrated!) as it means that the entire front drivetrain can be put to rest. I have manual hubs on mine and I have found them to make a difference.

Regards

Sub
hx1simon

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi racoon, good post, maybe able to help me with my 2.5 shogun D......the orange diff light is flashing while in two wheel drive but its ok while in four wheel drive. Everything works as it should going in and out of the different drives and it still works as it should in two wheel but the diff light flashes, iv'e changed the vacume solonoids to no avail.

cheers

simon
sharky1964
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the bit thats on the drivers door in English

REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Post Hope I never have to use the info though  Wink  
Can you help with this one Question  have tried a few times on soft sand to select 4HLc and 4LLc but the orange light only flashes, I have driven a couple of hundred yards [max available] but no difference.
Thanks
syther

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the guide i will be using it on friday and will let you no how i get on thanks again.....hopfully i can skip to step 5!!
sir sparkalot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a really brilliant concise test procedure. i have had problems with flashing green lights when i first bought my lovely Paj 5 or 6 years ago. No regrets i love it. i have worked out the vacuum test as described by you by trial no error and writing down my findings and realised the actuator just gets stuck sometimes maybe in my case because it was not used by the person before me. it now works well and if i get probs i know what to do. the worst thing was finding the correct terms for the bits, eg actuator, vessel, etc to find best search on here. so i just carefully took it to bits to work it out myself. the 4wd has been brilliant the last month up here in the sticks and its easy to get in and out of 4wd. it is so easy even the other half uses it (not a sexist remark just an observation he he). does anyone know what the vaccuum reservoir or vessel is called and where to get one if reqd. need to buy the yellow diamonds to be in the gang. seen loads of them on my travels. thanks for the info keep up the good work regards to you all Trevor
moujab

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 15:59    Post subject: 4x4 light flashing Reply with quote

For the past 1 year i have been struggling to solve the 4x4 light flashing problem, and it turned out to be an issue with the connectors of the solonoid valves . They were not getting power due to the oxidization on the connectors. A spray of contact 60 + little grase on them made them work again, and to my surprise the flashing stopped.
Lets hope they will stop for more than a while. It was a simple thing and thought i must post it on the forum so that others can benefit form it before calling a mechanic.
jimbobt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 15:29    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

just hade to use the post found out its 1 of the pipes off the survo split i love this pose thanks saved my day  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
grantmckinnon

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:10    Post subject: no voltage to solinoids? Reply with quote

hey there I have just brought a 1991 lwb pajero, had flashing lights on front wheels when in 2wd. checked everything out according to your guide and fixed the leaking vacum hoses, but still no love measured with multimeter and there only seems to be voltage when 4wd has been selected? is this normal or is there likely to be a fault somewhere in the wiring?  if I apply voltage direct from the battery I can switch both solinoids and the actuator moves freely.
any help would be much appreciated

grant
cogafrica

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 15:06    Post subject: understanding the Super Select four wheel drive system Reply with quote

Thanks for the very helpful infomration.
I face the following problem: the yellow light in the middle of the 4x4 indicator starts blinking after I drive for some distance. Can anyone help me with this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Top tips All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: