Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

any info about fitting engine to gearbox please!!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andypetz

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 15:10    Post subject: any info about fitting engine to gearbox please!! Reply with quote

Can anyone help me again......... im having problems with fitting the engine to my auto box..

my new engine came out of a manual car, i've changed the fly wheel and there is a spacer which fits ot it as well, but as i finally got the engine to line up and slide in, i had a look at the flywheel form under neath and the fly wheel is touching the engine case and the sump guard caused by the torque converter bending the fly wheel... WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?  HELP...
is the lenght of the crank shalft the same as my old engine? (because it was fitted to a manual)
or am i a complete numpty...
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 15:10    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

mph
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi andypetz,

Can't help you much as I have not yet had the fortune of engine and gear box out!

From what I have read in the past there are a couple of splines that drive into the gear box that are a little longer than the rest and therefore need to ligned up correctly or engine and box don't fit together properly,  proably too late but dont force them together as seals can be dameged.

There don't appear to be too many online currently? be calm and I'm sure somebody that has been through this will be along to guide you on how to fit them togother soon.

Go and crack open a beer and relax, it's getting too late now to do more even if you know how. Find out how and start again tommorow?

Hope your answer arrives soon,

Good luck

Mark.
BIG RED

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

love to help you out mate know quite a bit abt them but not this one good luck ps have u tried the search on main page.
andypetz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i've not tryed anything yet apart from using this site, but im unable to do to much work on my paj myself as i have a damaged spine so i can only work on her for about a hour or two when the morphine starts to ware of, then im knackerd for a couple of day then i can have another go for an hour or two..

and i would love to have a beer as i've hav'nt had one in 6 years, i think i've forgotten the taist but it would be a cheep night out.

thanks for this info, anything is better than nout, keep all ideas coming in as all is gratfully received
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Zodiac: Capricorn
Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy - waynec, (one of our resident Mitsi techs), will probably pick this up and I'm sure he will be able to advise you

HTH
mph
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi andypetz,

still not much help but trying?

have a cup of tea and a read of these :-

"click here"

"click here"

"click here"

"click here"

found these using the search above and hope they help you some. These posting also prove that there people here with the knowledge and experience to help you! Just a matter of them being aware of your plight and as I mentioned previously the site is not that busy at the moment.

apologies about the have a beer bit in last post, obviously I didn't know? thought still good though.

regards

Mark.
bigbaz

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mate just changed my box had the same problem
the torque convertor has to go into the box in 3 stages if it has come out abit this will stop the engine and box joining
you need to turn the torque convertor until it goes right in it will be sitting inside the bellhousing about 1.5 inches mark where the bolt holes are and way to go hope this helps
waynec
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi And - Baz is spot on - sounds like the Torque converter is not all the way down in to the box, these can be a bit fiddly.
andypetz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks lads, i'll take the engine out again and see if its in properly but im sure it was, but if it was'nt
would it bend the flywheel like it did when its tighted up?

i was also told that a spigot mite be a problem but what is it?

i,d like to tell you all of you out there about a loud bumble bee noise at around 75/80 mph, i found out
that this was caused by one of the crome strips running down the outside of the wind screen was loose, it
drove me mad for weeks untill i found out what it was... hope this is useful to someone.. andy..
bigbaz

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mate if its not in all the way when you try to tighten the bolts it bends the flywheel and it will be tight up againts the back of the engine i am 100% that the torque convertor is not right in cheers
rayc
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem when I changed my engine. It was the torque converter not going fully home.

In the end I put the converter on the gearbox shaft and then attached the bolts when the engine was in.

Took me 3 hours to suss it. Took engine out. Converter moved in about 5 inches (after turning on box shaft) and then took me 20 mins to get the engine in!

Did I curse or what! Embarassed
andypetz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys,

i've taken the engine back out and re-atached the torque converter to the gearbox but im still having big problem putting the converter back far enough (at the moment it is only going back 1 inch but this isnt enough as it needs to be around
1 1/2 inch ) but as soon as my engine go's anywhere near the converter it will move it out of position so im back to square
one again.

i need to get the engine into position exactly square and bolt it up so that it pulls it into the bell housing without it moving the converter.

i will keep you all up to date with my fun and games so that it could be any help to somone.....
kernow jon

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andypetz,  Have you cracked it yet?  Is the engine gearbox mated up?  I could n't work out from your post have you got a Shogun or a Pajero - is it petrol or diesel.  To the point I am only just up the road from you in Helston and may be able to help if you are still stuck.  Like you I am a bit limited my back is shot too.
andypetz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all,

ITS IN POSITION .

thanks for all your info,
in the end i took the engine (2.5td) out again and repositioned the engine hoist slightly tilting back but then moved it out the way then i had another go at fitting the torque converter to the gearbox, first,  as big bas said, it had to go on in three stages, 1st stage was easy and slid in quite a fair distance, 2nd, was'nt bad either but the 3rd stage it seamed not to in anymore so i sat on the front axel with my back against a block of wood from the top of the slam panel to the cross member, and then i could push it with some forse while turning it slightly and then it moved the last 1/2 inch into position then i could re-mount the engine and this time it bolted up with no problems...

i think that i must of had the engine in and out over ten times, but now shes in and i cant thank you guys enough and i hope that my sweet and tears can help some one else, thats why these sites are made for?
THANKS AGAIN LADS  ( big baz, rayc, kernow jon the pasty man, waynec, mph, nick the nurse and big red..)
nick the nurse
Shining Star
Shining Star

Location: Wolstanton Newcastle Under Lyme Staffs a little sleepy Hamlet full of drunks and OLD PEOPLE!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy you Deserve the praise mate  thumbleft  Well Done You notworthy  congrats  thumbright
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: