Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Fuel pump adjustment / recallibration

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Technical FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterMiller

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 13:57    Post subject: Fuel pump adjustment / recallibration Reply with quote

OK - sorry guys, didn't mean to seem to be hiding stuff - thought you all knew...

( fuel pump adjustment )

Didn't want to steal Mickey's thunder - he knows his stuff.

After Speaking to Mickey, this is what I did:
Tools Required:
10mm socket / bar /ratchet
13mm combi spanner
Stubby screwdriver

Step 1: Remove Intercooler

Step 2: Locate Pump Adjust
At the back of the pump where the diesel line goes in, there's a banjo.
Just underneath this there's a 13mm nut.  (This may be covered by a metal cap with a nipple looking end - take it off if it is. Mine wasn't covered - obviously not put on after the SVA)

Uncrack this nut - there's an adjusting screw located inside this nut.

Step 3: Adjust Pump
NOTE: Based on my symptoms of no smoke, barely reaches 80mph, dies going uphill, poor mpg - I was advised to turn the adjuster screw in one and 1/4 of a flat inwards.  A flat is not a whole turn but merely a single edge of the nut - ie. a hex nut, one turn is one side of the nut.

Nip up the 13mm nut.

Step 4: Put intercooler on

Step 5: ** IMPORTANT** Reset spring in governor
Start up
Tick over for a few secs
Slowly rev to 2.8k / 3000rpm gradual build up & let off real slow.

Then floor it!  Over 3000rpm & let off a quick – ignore engine twang this is just the governor reseting - mine didn't make any noise.

JUST DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK - NEITHER MICKEY OR MYSELF ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY COCK UPS

I am filling up today to do some mpg tests over the weekend - will keep you posted (in this topic)

My mate adjusted his too - a bit too much and it smoked like a ba$*ard - simply adjust the screw outwards a flat at a time - REMEMBERING to adjust the governor spring.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 13:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

PeterMiller

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the screw was adjusted - by simply one and 1/4 flat - I said to my mate "I'll be amazed if that has done squat!"

Believe me - it made a hell of a difference. Just hope the MPG increases too.

Only thing I noticed was that the idle increased from 750rpm to 1500rpm - easy enough to reduce though by adjusting the idle screw on the throttle cable.
Jotto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a matter of interest,What does resetting the governor do? I have read many posts on adjusting the screw on the pump but this is the first time I have heard of resetting the governor.

After I blanked off my EGR valve, purely by luck I followed the bit about slowly revving and letting off then flooring it...There was an almighty crack and I thought I had blown something! Was this the governor?

Cheers,
Paul.
PeterMiller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that the resetting the govennor was required so that the new setting of the diesel pump is "bedded in"

The crack you heard was the govennor resetting and is normal and nothing to worry about. However, I couldn't get mine to do it! Mickey said it was nowt to worry over though.

Aparrantly, if you don't calibrate / reset the govennor, the spring inside is just stretched and can cause the Paj to smoke endlessley and irrepairably.

MICKEY - If you're watching this post, can you explain this any better?

PS: What's the EGR Valve and the trick there??
Marky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followed these very instructions this weekend myself, knowing that the pump had been wound down by the previous owner for the SVA..

Completely transformed the car....
Windmillpete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well were do i start? There are so many of you that i will just tell my story and hope a soluton presents it's self.
SWB 2.8 1994m 90,000 kmh (55,000miles) goes like a steam (well smoke) train but smokes for england, in fact i get worried every time i drive it that i will be pulled over by the enviromental health for blacking out the north of europe. ( could be used in the next war for blacking out the midlands in times of air raids i suppose Very Happy ) I did the EGR trick with a sprite can cut to shape blocking off the recirc ( where the gaskit is) didn't seem to make any difference to the national smog making capabilities of said steam train. Question Maybe i could sell my PAJ to the navy as a retro fit item for making black smoke for destroyers in times of peril, what do think Question I get about 550-580 KMH before the fuel light comes on and i have done 620 kmh but got a little worried that i was going to run out of fuel. this is nearly all A1 driving @ 65-75Mph (65mph = 2500 rpm) (75mph = 2800rpm). i think my next option is to have the fuel pump set up but, someone might have a better idea. I wouldn't swap her for the world though but i do get fed up having to drive up wind all the time to see. Shocked any ideas will be most welcome and i will reply to them as soon as the fog clears and i can find my PC

Pete Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

PS i have also used a fuel system cleaner and this seemed to make the smoke worse (Possibly) Sad
PeterMiller

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try winding the Diesel Pump Screw (described earlier) IN a 1/4 turn.

You must reset the govenor as described too

Reconnect Intercooler

See if that makes a difference

Keep turning screw in until smoke stops/
RICHARD COWEN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:35    Post subject: GOVENOR Reply with quote

Theres alot of talk about resetting the govenor after adjusting the pump. Would someone please explain how to do it.
mickey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi richard when you have ajusted the pump and intercooler back on start up let tick over for a sec or to and slowley reve up to 2800rpm and down to tick over slowley let tick over for a sec and rev hard to 3000 rpm and let tick over and she is set it seteles the pump in to the new seting hop this helps mick Smile
Trig

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 16:43    Post subject: Diesel Pump Screw Adjustment in PICTURES! Reply with quote

Hi all  Smile
Armed with my new digital camera (and time)... I prepared step-by-step guide in pictures to adjust the DIESEL fuel pump screw.

Remember, this contribution to PoCUK is aimed at helping keen DIY persons, thus I do not take any responsibility for any cock-ups, not that I had any Wink

First pic is:

Full instructions and pics can be found at: http://www.photobox.co.uk/public/detail.html?c_album=228342

Credit for the instructions by words goes to PeterMiller (& Mickey) from THIS post <-- Click to view  Very Happy

Quote:
After Speaking to Mickey, this is what I did:
Tools Required:
10mm socket / bar /ratchet
13mm combi spanner
Stubby screwdriver
Step 1: Remove Intercooler
Step 2: Locate Pump Adjust
At the back of the pump where the diesel line goes in, there's a banjo.
Just underneath this there's a 13mm nut. (This may be covered by a metal cap with a nipple looking end - take it off if it is. Mine wasn't covered - obviously not put on after the SVA). Uncrack this nut - there's an adjusting screw located inside this nut.
Step 3: Adjust Pump, NOTE: Based on my symptoms of no smoke, barely reaches 80mph, dies going uphill, poor mpg - I was advised to turn the adjuster screw in on and 1/4 of a flat inwards. A flat is not a whole turn but merely a single edge of the nut - ie. a hex nut, one turn is one side of the nut. Nip up the 13mm nut.
Step 4: Put intercooler on
Step 5: ** IMPORTANT** Reset spring in governor
Start up
Tick over for a few secs
Slowly rev to 2.8k / 3000rpm gradual build up & let off real slow. Then floor it! Over 3000rpm & let off a quick – ignore engine twang this is just the governor reseting - mine didn't make any noise.
JUST DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK - NEITHER MICKEY OR MYSELF ACCEPT ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY COCK UPS
I am filling up today to do some mpg tests over the weekend - will keep you posted (in this topic)
My mate adjusted his too - a bit too much and it smoked like a ba$*ard - simply adjust the screw outwards a flat at a time - REMEMBERING to adjust the governor spring.
Trucky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for doing that Trig, makes it much easier for the non mechanics amongst us. One query ive got which is totally unrelated, your engine looks exactly the same as mine apart from the egr valve, mine is screwed on top of the engine block near to the bulkhead, im contemplating taking it off to clean it but im a bit wary with it looking different to yours, has anybody else got the same set up as me?
carlyoungie1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trucky have you got a camera handy so we can see a photo of your set-up, then some-one maybe able to help you, i have the 2.5 and Trig's EGR looks standard. CARL.
plakias41

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I also need pics as to where to locate the fuel pump adjustment screw, have followed the link above and can't find the pics, can anyone help?
buddhafinger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I can't find the pics either, looks like they were taken down.
apollo

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one your looking for, the gold coloured nipple has to be popped off with a screw driver revealing a nut with a screw in the centre, do not be to heavy handed when you adjust it do this at your own risk..........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Technical FAQ All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: